“fantastic” 4 of 5 bubbles

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

stayed with Shearings at the Great Western Hotel oban
the room we had was very good with a long bath room with a bath and over head shower.the food was fantastic so was service no waiting between courses very fast.a credit to the waiters. we had a driver called Stewart he was excellent and very knowledgeable on the areas visited.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your lovely review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your break with us. I love the photo you have uploaded of the sunset. The water was certainly calm that evening!

Once again thank you for your kind words, I will of cause pass these on to the team. Hope to see you again soon.

Warm Regards,
Darren Moyle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed here as part of a self drive holiday, we,ve stayed in bay hotels before and have a good idea what to expect. This went way beyond expectations. The reception staff were genuinely friendly and welcoming, really pleasant. Our room was outstanding, I paid extra for a room overlooking the bay, and was paid back 10 fold, views are outstanding to the point I forgot I was still in the UK. The food was excellent great choice on the menu and every meal was delicious. On Easter Sunday there was creme eggs and hot cross buns and mini eggs in the evening, what a nice touch. Staff were friendly and efficient and even smiled when they requested £3.70 for a pint of lager. i would recommend this hotel and resort to anyone! Wonderful!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a sea view its more than worth it!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Tony,

What can I say! Another Great review! Thank you very much for your kind comments. I will of cause pass these onto the team who will be pleased.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Other Bay Hotel not very pleasing they were still painting and doing, carpets bedroom was a good size The meals of the 4days were good except the last meal evening meal was not very nice over cooked carrots burnt roast potatoes the staff are great the beds were clean but not a good nights sleep as the mattress was not great to sleep, on

Room Tip: the rooms at the back of the hotel are quite but if you want a great view of mull and isle
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elaine C
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your comments. We did try our upmost to keep any disturbance from our refurbishment team to a minimum for our guests and I do apologise if this was not the case for you. We do have an ongoing refurbishment plan in progress in order to improve our rooms. I am pleased to say that as we refurbish, we are replacing the beds and these are to a high quality. I have passed your comments to my kitchen team regarding the vegetables on your last night.

I do hope that you would consider staying us again, and try one of our refurbished rooms.

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed here with Shearings and it was excellent value for money. The location is great, right on the sea front and a short walk to the centre of town. We had a basic room ( with a wonderful sea view) and it was perfectly acceptable - a reasonable size and full bath, adequate storage, kettle with tea and coffee and milk sachets all provided. Two slight criticisms - and I do mean slight! - a couple more drawers would be good and also. to be able to lift the shower head off the rail! The food was better than expected with a choice of mealtimes - breakfast from 7am to 8am and evening meal from 6.30 to 8pm. Both meals were waiter service except help-yourself at breakfast to fruit juice, cereals, porridge, prunes and grapefruit. Tea and coffee was brought to the table in pots, and hot milk for the coffee was available if you asked for it. The cooked breakfast itself was spoilt by being pre-cooked and therefore the fried egg yolks were solid and the toast was cold! Evening meal was better with a good selection- 3 or 4 starters and several main courses, plus a dish of the day which included balti chicken and rice, and beef stew
while we were there. Vegetables were brought in serving dishes and always included 2 sorts of potatoes and 2 other veg. The service was good and all the staff pleasant, friendly and helpful - I made 2 requests to reception and both were fulfilled within minutes of asking. To be honest - I would not choose this hotel if I was not on a coach trip but otherwise I would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: The sea view is somewhat limited on the 3rd floor owing to the small windows . The view at the back...
1 Thank MrsAholidaymaker
Thank you for your kind comments. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have taken on board your comments regarding your room and the food and will review these with my management team.

I do hope to see you on another tour with us again soon.

loch lomond
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Just returned from 2 night stay .The location perfect ,rooms dated but they are in process of updating.The food well presented and good.Dining staff great and plenty of them.Only complaint was unpleasant bar man on Saturday evening who,when I ordered glass of wine which was £5 .60 and had only taken £5 with me,put his full hand on top of glass to prevent me taking it back to table until I returned with 60p..This was very insulting as he knew I was resident but obviously didn't,t trust me.I am female and 69yrs old so wouldn't,t run far??????Also there is a hygiene issue there but I so upset didn't,t make an issue.Perhaps manager could address this issue..Anyway in all the staff all do a great job from reception to housekeeping and good value for money.enjoy ....

Room Tip: Would be nice to have seafront room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank lilian07
Dear Lilian,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am very pleased you enjoyed you stay with us despite the incident you experienced at the bar. Please let me assure you that this matter has been addressed with my bar team, as it does not reflect our usual high standards of service.

I do hope to see you again in the near future,

Upton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Just back from Oban Scotland ,booked the Bay Great Western online, £49.00p for a double room and 2 Xbreakfast , super room 306 fantastic view of the bay ... lovelly staff and great breaky ...well dune ... devo book againe ...HEATHER /.BRIAN.....

Room Tip: Room 306 great views and cheeky seagulls ....
1 Thank Brian H
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Hi

It was great to see you again, and really pleased you liked the improvments. Hope to see you again soon!!

Darren
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have just returned after a long weekend and can't thank the staff enough.My mother fell ill the first night and we had to call an ambulance,all the employees handled this very well,reception-service staff helped take the children's mind off it and watched them for us to go to the hospital.The receptionist took my sister to the hospital even though she had finished her long shift! I'm glad to say my mum returned that night well and throughout the weekend we were asked by numerous staff how she was.I have been to many shearing but the efficiency and kindness of the staff overwhelmed us.The hotel is very nice and there seems to be re-fits in the bedrooms which are very clean but tired.Food great and a good selection served by great staff.Yes I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view,family room looks onto a roof! Rooms 214 or 114.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank debbie2373
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Debbie,

Thank you very much for posting your kind comments. I do hope that your mother is feeling a lot better. Whilst I was not present that weekend, I was informed of the incident on Friday night and I am very pleased and proud of the team on duty that they dealt the situation so well. Although I am not surprised as I am very lucky to have very good staff. I am pleased despite the incident you all still managed to enjoy the rest of the weekend. I sincerely hope to see you all again soon.