“personal view”

Bay Great Western Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Having read previous comments on Trip Advisor about this hotel, we were somewhat apprehensive. However we need not have been - the bedrooms, although in need of a bit of tlc met our needs and were serviced well each day. The food was very acceptable and served by pleasant and efficient staff. The four evenings of entertainment were excellent - music to suit our trips age group. Our bus driver, Kevin, went out of his way to make our tours enjoyable and show us as much as time allowed. All in all, a most enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank davidm1992
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear David,
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind comments. I will pass them onto the team as they always enjoy reading them. Thank you again and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

A super location with views from the lounge across Oban bay to the Isle of Mull. The hotel has been recently renovated and the old lady is looking very well indeed.
Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff, particularly in the restaraunt were friendly, attentive and efficient. The meals were good, well cooked and with plenty of choice.
All-in-all, our 4 day break represented excellent value for money. We have visited several times before and will be going again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank john_ashton1

Dear John,
Thank you for your great comments. It was good to welcome you back to the hotel, and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us again. We will see you next time!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The hotel has about the best view you could possibly wish for from its lounges and many bedrooms overlooking the loch and harbour but be aware that many rooms situated at the rear have no view worth talking about, so do ask for loch view if you book here.

My room had a loch view which I paid extra for and was worth it for that as rooms go its comfortable and a good size with a shower in the bath and provided tea making facility and hair dryer, but unlike most hotels I go to provides no toiletries other than a small bar of soap. I expect a hotel to provide more such as shower gel and hair shampoo but seems this hotel is trying to save money here and some other areas also.

The hotel has 2 residents lounges of which 1 has a nice bar, coffee is also provided here after dinner but they have dropped the after eights mints they used to provide now no chocolate or biscuits provided. The dining room lighting I found quite dim not good as for some silly reason I guess design feature the lamps are completely covered underneath so give little light off. The service in the dining room was friendly but slow at times my waiter often not paying attention to what was needed at all times. Often I had to get the attention of another waiter to get service. The food was okay and the menu varied each day. The hotel relies on 1 wine waiter from the bar to serve drinks in the vast restaurant so caused delays at times in getting a drink.

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times the reason mainly being for the view and being an easy walk to the harbour and shops and will probably stay here again but it could improve in a few areas as I have mentioned.

Room Tip: Loch views best
1  Thank rob012

Dear rob,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comment. We do like to receive feedback from our guests as it does help us to improve what we offer. We did take the toiletries out of our guests rooms some years ago however as detailed in your room, we do hold a full complimentary range from reception. Whilst I understand this maybe still a standard with other hotel brands, we engaged feedback from many other guests who told us that they preferred us to do this to enable us to still offer the great value for money breaks we do. I have taken on-board your other comments and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Like a previous reviewer I was also taught if I didn't have anything nice to say then don't say anything but it's not always that simple.
This hotel is badly needing a full refurbishment. The main entrance is difficult if you have any mobility difficulties and a no no in wet weather ( as we often do in the west of Scotland) it is also breaking the disability discrimination act. The reception area is very small and dimly lit and I am afraid it only got worse from there. My room (311) was clearly a single room but I was still charged a single room supplement. It's not as if they could have had another occupant and made more money. Who knew single beds could have as many lumps? The toilet roll holder was held onto the wall by a piece of paper and the shower was more of a dribble. There were some very odd stains on the wall and carpet.
By this stage you may be wondering why the 3 stars well the dining room staff were excellent and the food was of a high standard with plenty of choice.
I will return to Oban but will not stay here again.

Dear kazri,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on here. I am sorry that we couldn't sort out some of the problems you encounted with us at the time of your stay. I am also sorry that you feel you would stay with us again but thank you for your kind comments regarding the restaurant staff. I will pass them onto them.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

we will never go on a shearings break after our experience in oban everything was absolute garbage!¬! sorry but that is just how i feel about the great??? western the rooms are not clean the floorboards creak in the room and the corridors, but i havnt came to the worst bit my hubby who is diabetic asked for an extra roll as he couldnt eat the soup(mushroon, cheapest of the cheap) and was told no as they are counted for the number of guests lol the food was nice but one small boiled potato each and two fried sliced potatoes just was not enough.On the saturday morning we asked could we buy chips with dinner on the sat night the receptionist obviously thought we were nuts so we explained yes my hubby is diabetic and needs to eat at least 40grams of carbohydrate with each meal so she said you will be able to have chips tonight no charge. Sat night arrives again asked the waiter for an extra roll no again yet the elderly gent behind us was given one did he just not like us!!! then we asked the same waiter for chips with our dinner no no chips says he yes says we we organised it earlier next thing the person obviously in charge of the dining room was consulted and hey the chips arrived a whole seven of them we nearly died laughing but couldt as we were still starving. im sitting waiting on the parsley potatoes as advertised none arrived called the waiter over asked was i not getting potatoes he said you have chips. I was not going to write a review but i wrote to shearings customer care and the reply was we are sorry about your stay but we have cut down on the portion sizes of food because of the food waste but that we should have complained at the time eh we did, so to end this speil we will never nor will any of our large group of extensive friends and family use shearings again it will probably not bother them but by god i hope this review does.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank meg1Scotland

Dear meg1scotland,
I am very sorry to read about your disappointed stay with us. I have investigated what went wrong as this is certainly not our normal level of service we offer which is reflected in the many recent reviews on here. I can only apologise for this. I am sorry you feel you feel that you will not visit us again as we do try very hard to offer value money breaks which is usually received in that manor.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Having had some unpleasant experiences at other Bay Hotels, it was with some doubt that we booked the Great Western for our stay in Oban. We wanted to do Oban and the west coast and must admit that the price for this hotel was the attraction. We were so delighted to have our worries proved groundless.
This hotel is in a beautiful setting, overlooking Oban Bay, and has, obviously, recently undergone, and is still undergoing, an extensive, renovation programme.
The public areas are pristine and comfortable, the resteraunt comfortable and efficient in a friendly way, the food is superb and credit is due to the chef and his team.
Our rooms were on the second floor and were clean and very comfortable. A copious supply of hot water in the bathroom at all times was well appreciated.
The only minus point of our stay was that , during the first couple of days, the bar seemed to be somewhat disorganised but I think that the regular barman had been enjoying a couple of days off as things improved as the week went on.
One niggly little point. I can't understand why all rooms suddenl become ready for occupation at three o'clock on check in day. This causes frustration to self drive holiday makers who, after an arduous journey, have arrived at about 2pm to be met with the statement that no rooms will be ready before 3pm. Surely the same system that opreates in other hotels, including some Shearings hotels, that the cleaning staff advise reception as they complete the cleaning of rooms so that these rooms could be available for earlier allocation.
All in all we enjoyed our stay at the Great Western and are already planning to return in the near future.

Room Tip: Paying a supplement for a sea view room is extremely good value for money.
3  Thank bibeca

Dear bibeca,
Thank you for your great review. I am pleased you enjoyed you stay. I have taken onboard your comments regarding the check in procedures and as a result I am currently reviewing our check in procedures with my reception and housekeeping teams.
Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

My parents taught me that if you had nothing good to say then don't say anything but then that would make this a pretty short review. I really do try not to be negative but it was difficult to find much to praise about my stay in this hotel, may be I was just unlucky. I will start with the better part of my experience.

All of the staff were truly excellent, all happy smiling helpful people and couldn't wish for better. Service was quick and efficient and the location is also pretty good. There are great harbour views from the lounge and bar unfortunately though we could not afford to spend much time in the bar as the prices are extortionate and for this reason we did not stay for the evening entertainment which the hotel provided.

It was raining when we arrived and the front steps were really slippery when wet. For the sake of other guests I would like to think that the room we were allocated was one of the worst in the hotel I could not imagine one much worse than ours. The ceiling was very low and the small window was low down in the corner of the wall so you couldn't see out of it whilst standing but this was of little consequence as it faced the wall opposite about 10 feet away therefore it admitted very little light. The room contained two small lumpy single beds, not recommended for a honeymoon and was more suited to staff accommodation than guests. There were only eight clothes hangers between the two of us and nowhere to store our suitcases out of the way. There was a layer of dust and cobwebs on top of the light fitting, easily visible due to the low ceiling. The floor creaked loudly when walked upon as did the floors in all the surrounding rooms this resulted being awakened every time a neighbour moved around. The wallpaper was peeling at the joins and the paint on the bathroom door was badly damaged. On the plus side there was no traffic noise as we were tucked around the rear of the hotel. Our bathroom was a bit brighter and had a reasonable shower with plenty of hot water and regularly changed towels although the room itself was quite interesting as the floor sloped quite significantly. The toilet was raised on a plinth which was sloped in the opposite direction to make it level but this was more amusing than troublesome except that it resulted in a stubbed toe on one occasion. The toilet cistern had a huge unhygienic crack in it and how it was not leaking I don't know. The bath sealant was mouldy behind the taps and the grab rail was going rusty. I could go on at the risk of becoming boring.

The dining room was spacious and comfortable if a little on the dark side The food was fairly average and fairly edible but sufficient in quantity for most people. The vegetables were mostly ok. The potatoes were pretty good but the carrots usually had a greyish tinge to them and were a bit on the rubbery side. We had some awful red cabbage once and I don't think anyone ate it. On one occasion our choice of starter was no longer available so we had to compromise but then our choice of main course was also not available. It was at this point we decided to leave and had the best meal of the week at a nearby pub/diner owned by a well known national company. Having said that the food was not a lot different to many bottom end hotels and you get what you pay for. I have stayed at several Bay Hotels, they were mostly satisfactory but this was not the best of them which is a shame as Oban is a delightful little town well worth a visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank David C

Dear David,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry to ready that you didnt enjoy your stay with us. I have taken your review and personally inspected the room you stayed in and have taken action where required. I am only sorry these were not rectified prior to your stay with us.
I am pleased that you found the location and service received to be good. I do hope that you will return at some point in the future.