“Loved the Risotto”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Ayrshire
“Loved the Risotto”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2008

The Manor House in Oban is without doubt one of the best small hotels in Scotland. I have travelled in Scotland as a Photo-Journalist for over 40 years - and experienced some of the best and the worst hotels we have to offer. The Manor House is a Jewel on the West Coast and the BEST hotel in Oban. I stayed there for a week while covering the Royal National Mod in 2003 and have returned many times since then . It is still same lovely place today with friendly and helpful staff. Some rooms are a bit small but beautifully furnished and spotlessly clean very comfortable beds, bathrooms have showers that work!!!! and big towels . Dinner is excellent wonderfully cooked and presented to 5 star standards. Lunch in the bar is also a treat - the best Seafood Risotto ever . The room rates in mid to high season have got a wee bit too pricey - but still well worth a visit I will return soon...I would recommend it to anyone who likes excellent food and a place to chill out. W. Thornton Largs. Ayrshire.

Stayed March 2008
3 Thank AyrshireSnapper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Worcester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2008

Out of the 4 places that we stayed in during our 6 day visit to the Highlands of Scotland and back, this was the worst. We have rated it such because it promises so much yet delivers so little.

In another review i mention the Ballachulish Hotel, but at least there you pretty much know what you are getting when you arrive, here you perceive that you will get top quality and receive far less.

It is an impressive building with a large open hallway / entrance. the room we stayed in was tiny and could in my opinion, only just be called a double. The bathroom was nothing more than a corridor with a bath and toilet. the bath panel was hanging off when we arrived.

In certain places, for example the floor of the enrtrance hall, refurbishment work is required and it is unfortunately obvious that this work is required. There is no doubt that they do try, or at least some people there try, but in my opinion very few. Our drinks order at the bar was brought to us quickly followed by unexpected but pleasant canapes, a nice start to dinner after the shock of the room and the unpleasantness of the bathroom.

Dinner was awful.

Not only was it awful but I made it clear to the waiting staff that it was so. The (I assume) Maitre D' said that he would inform the Chef and that no doubt the Chef would want to speak with me about my concerns.

Now either the Maitre D' was genuinely concerned or he was trying to intimidate me as his words actually were "if you can tell me exactly what is wrong Sir then I can tell the Chef and no doubt he will then want a word with you" in truth I wasn't sure what his true motivation was, nonetheless I welcomed the forthcoming "discussion". No Chef appeared, and mysteriously the waiting staff seemed reluctant to attend our table!!

On the plus side we met an elderley couple who raved about the place and told us that they had been going there for over 20 years. We couldn't bring ourselves to tell them of our experience, neither could we tell them that in our opinion the staff actually treated them with a little disdain. Perhaps a case of familiarity breeding contempt.

Not a nice place at all, but more poignantly, not an honest place either, so far as cost against actual service as oppose to perceived service.

• Liked — Canapes
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
13 Thank LG798500
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2008

Very good hotel in relation to the area (Oban is a bit of a back-water and caught in a time-warp).

Hotel clean and comfortable. Booked a superior sea view room which provided magnificent views out over the bay.

Room was spacious, reasonably modern and the bed was very comfortable.

Only stayed one night on a B&B basis. Breakfast selection was excellent and food freshly cooked. A friend recently had dinner at the hotel and he reliably informed me that the food was of a very high standard.

Service was excellent although a little bit too stuffy and formal for my liking.

Beware the hotel's on-line booking service - you have got to contact the hotel by phone after booking to give them your credit card details.

After I booked on-line I received an e-mail stating that "the hotel receptionist would be in touch soon to request credit card details".

I expected a phone call but didn't get one. Instead, I got another rather cheeky e-mail a week or so later stating that if I did not contact the hotel within 2 days and provide my credit card details, they would cancel my booking.

• Liked — Location, food and standard of accomodation.
  • Disliked — A little too pricey for the area.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AdrianGlasgow
denbighshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2008

My wife and I enjoyed our recent stay here immensely. The room was cosy and very clean and the staff very helpful without being intrusive.

The food was also of a high standard although i did not appreciate having a screw-top on a £24 bottle of red which i had to open myself at the dining table. Other than this small point for which I am being fussy, we will visit there again gladly.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank martin-and-bert
Kristiansand, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2008

We came here for hiking in the absolutely breathtaking Scottish Highlands.
We booked rooms at Manor House after reading reviews, as we probably would appreciate a comfortable bed and and little luxury after a long day in the hills.
A really wise decision. You will wake up smiling in this place. The beds are incredible, you won't want to get out of them, and the food and service excellent. After 12 hrs of travelling to get there, we sat down to a beautifully set dinner table and a wonderful meal. Having coffee avec in the sitting room made us feel like we were appreciated guests in a private home. The decor is absolutely charming and consequent, but you don't stay here if you are a sworn minimalist, that can't take wallpaper with cherubs.
Fresh fruit (and good fruit!) in the room every day. Super clean.
The hotel is beautifully situated with a lovely garden and a stunning view over the bay. Very pleasant staff.

Walk from Manor House to Kerrera ferry and hike the island.
You'll find yourself breathless for many reasons. A little piece of heaven on earth.

Stayed October 2007
4 Thank HiBe
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2007

A well-placed , beautifully decorated & well maintained property.
Staff were very friendly although some of the part-timers were a bit 'rough around the edges'.Bedroom was smallish & decor a bit fussy - however , the bed itself was exceptionally comfortable.
Public rooms were very welcoming indeed - other than the bar , which looks inviting in brochure & web-site but is in reality very austere & not a good place to spend time in. Food was excellent - & plenty of it ! Would stay here again- although quite expensive.

• Liked — Comfort
  • Disliked — Room-size
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank travellerni
Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2007

We stayed at the Manor House in order to catch the first ferry to Mull in the morning. We were very pleased with the location and the room was lovely, if a little on the small side. The bathroom was very small and a bit dated, but everything we needed was there and the view was stunning. The dinner was well cooked, but over fussy. The thing we found very odd for such a nice hotel was that the staff barely communicated with us at all except to ask for or impart information! There was absolutely no friendly small talk and it was difficult to engage them. We found this weird! The very worst thing about the Manor House, though is the piped music in the dining room. Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful. Unnecessary and unlovely. We asked for it to be turned down at breakfast, but it was still very invasive. We are looking for a regular stop in Oban as our daughter lives on Mull and, from Bristol, it is not always possible to get the last ferry. Sadly, the Manor House will not be it!

• Liked — Located near the ferry
  • Disliked — Piped music in the dining room
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family