“Wonderful find”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Wonderful find”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Finding a place via the internet always has its risks, but this one ticks all the boxes.
The rooms are beautifully arranged and spacious (we had the smallest!), the public rooms are wonderful, with breathtaking views, the staff are all happy, friendly and delightful, and the food is as good as any Michelin-starred restaurant. Held up on the A85 leaving Oban due to a serious accident and my first reaction was to see if the Manor House had room for another night. Excellence all round, and will definitely be going back. A big thank-you to everyone we met there.

Room Tip: Just go for the best. ONly reason we didn't is because they were all booked. Brilliant winter t...
Graham
I'm glad you had a lovely time. We will be ready for your return. Thank you for taking the time to write.
Les & Mags Crane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

stayed here for a mini honeymoon, was excellent, staff upgraded us to a superior seaview room which was lovely with a stunning view of the bay. bottle of champagne sitting for us and a nice card from the staff which was a good touch.
booked into the restaraunt on our first night, food was excellent, some of the best we have eaten, goes to show how good it was as on a monday night the restaraunt was extremely busy, but the food and service was really good.
if there was one bad point id have to say that the floorboards were a little creaky and you could hear people in the rooms next to ours although this is to be expected in an old building such as this, and as its a small hotel there arent many guests walking about the corridors.
overall really enjoyed our stay here.

PLCrane, Owner at Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
We are glad you had a nice stay. We hope you will come again for your next anniversary!
Regards
Central, Illinois
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The Manor House is a great location to the downtown area. What was lacking was service or lack of. When we checked in they could have cared less. They never asked if we needed help with the bags. We were shown to our room but nothing else was explained. We were told that they were really busy for dinner so if we wanted a reservation "they would see what they could do." Thanks but no thanks. After we returned from dinner we tried to get a drink in the bar. We had to hunt down a waitress. She acted like it was an inconvenience to get us a drink and never returned to see if we needed anything else. We couldn't even find her the second time around so we gave up. FYI. Electrical outlets are hard to find. Other than shaving there are none in the bathroom or even close to a mirror. Had to hunt them down on the floor behind the night stand to plug in a hairdryer. When checking out again nobody was even around to see if we need anything or help with the bags.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the harbor are very nice.
1 Thank knlaw2003
PLCrane, Owner at Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Our dining room is small and quite popular which is why we encourage guests to book dinner with their rooms if they think they will be dining with us. Unfortunately, I understand when you arrived, dinner was well underway and thus the earliest we could seat you was 8:30. The manager discussed other options in town with you and I’m glad to see you had a nice dinner. I apologize for our not being more attentive to your drinks order on your return. The manager noted he said good night to you as you went upstairs for bed and assumed everything was fine.

A shaving outlet is all the code allows in the bath. We should have drawn your attention to the full length mirror in the wardrobe and the outlet beside it.

All of this does not compensate for our regret that you did not have a better experience at the Manor House. If you can find an opportunity to return, we will be sure to make it up to you.

With apologies

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The location is great, near enough to the centre of Oban to stroll in but away from the maddening crowds. The view of the bay from our window was breath taking. Its WYSIWYG, an upmarket small hotel with high standards, the bedroom and bathroom were faultless, the food of excellent quality, a good varied choice of dishes. It was value for money and I would be very happy to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wirralwanderer_12
PLCrane, Owner at Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to write.
We hope you can come again.
Dubai
Reviewed 24 August 2013

A very pleasant and pictoresque hotel close to Oban town centre. The hotel has a wonderful view over the lake. The rooms are nicely decorated and the staff is helpful. The food is very good even though a bit slow for dinner. Breakfast was excellent. I would definitely stay here again. I would have preferred to have a duvet instead of blankets, however, the sotness of the cashmere made up for comfort.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
PLCrane, Owner at Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you for writing. Your comments are helpful. We have considered using duvets but they can be bulky and do work with some of the bedspreads. We'll discuss it more.
Regards
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I made a reservation since April 2013. I was staying at the hotel for 2 nights on July! I insisted I wanted 2 beds because I was travelling with my son. They even offered me an upgrade with a room having 2 twin beds and sea view. I could not believe it when I got there on July and the person in reception told me my room was given to somebody else (who has not yet arrived at the hotel) and they were offering me the largest room in the house with ONE bed. I told him I made the reservation months before and I did not want a larger room but one with 2 beds as my reservation stated. The only person in reception (though he was polite) did not have any idea of how to handle the situation. I said the room with 2 beds "was mine" since I booked it long before the persons it was given to and, besides, they were not even there and it might be that at the end they did not show up. The hotel had made a mistake giving them "my" room so they should offer them (if they appear) the largest room in the house and give me "my room". He was very nervous and every time he gave me an explanation he said something absurd. He called someone several times (I believe the manager) who told him not to give me the room and offer me, instead, a bottle of wine. I told him I could not drink wine and that a bottle was not solving the problem at all. He said he was going to make a booking in other hotel in the area with a room with 2 beds. I asked what would happen if the price in the other hotel was different. I could not believe when he said that if the price was higher they were going to pay the difference but in the case the price was lower I was not going to receive the difference back. I was so upset that I only wanted to leave this hotel and not stay here. He called several hotels. None had rooms with 2 beds. I gave him the name of a hotel that I remember looking in the internet and he said that if that hotel had a room , he knew the price was going to be higher, but that in this case they were not paying the difference!!! I could not believe that he was telling me just the opposite of what I was told 10 minutes before!!!! He told me the manager was coming to the hotel to speak to me. I told him I did not want to speak to him unless he was giving me the room with 2 beds, and he said that it was imposible to do that, so I told him I did not want to listen the same incongruencies all over again. After more than 1 hour dealing with this pathetic situation I said I was going to stay in the room they had since I knew I was not going to find any other options (it was late in the afternoon and it was high season). We unpacked and were leaving the hotel to visit Oban when the manager showed up and very rude and impolite started to tell me the same thing again. I told him I was not listening to all that nonsense twice and he made a disgusting gesture with his face and went into the hotel. When we returned that evening to the hotel, the person in reception approached my son, not me, and told him that as the other guests had not shown up we could have the room with 2 beds. We changed all our things and the next day we took an excursion the whole day. When we came back I found in the room a bottle of wine (eventhough I had told them several times I can not drink wine) and an apology letter from the manager. BUT AGAIN I could not believe the contents of the letter: he acknowledged the fact that he made a mistake with the reservation when he gave the room to someone else after I had it reserved but that he wanted to offer me the room when we were going out (which is not true!!!!!) and since I did not want to listen to him he was unable to do so. We all make mistakes and deserve a second chance if we admit the mistake and apologize for it. But this manager not only makes lots of mistakes BUT does not tell the truth, does not respect reservations, does not train the staff on how to handle these situations (he is the first needing the training himself) and does not understand that he should had given me the room I booked because it was the right thing to do, and not because very late that evening the other guests cancelled their reservations. Their worst mistake was the unethical manner in which they handled their errors.

makes lots ofl mistakes BUT

Room Tip: The room was rather small but the bathroom was tiny, tiny (very uncomfortable) and had a very stron...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank lucazino
PLCrane, Owner at Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
We cannot apologize enough for your bad experience at the Manor House. Clearly we were wrong in not giving you the room change we had confirmed in your email but had not adjusted in our booking system and thus assigned to someone else. We understand how this would spoil your entire stay. Your holiday time is invaluable. A mistake like this is unacceptable and we wish we could correct it. – Margaret and Les Crane
Peterlee, Co. Durham
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Wow... loved everything about this hotel , it's in a perfect location just a short stroll away to the ferry and shops ... room was small but cosy and comfortable we had a ground floor room (one) with a sea view.... all staff were friendly, polite and very welcoming...
The food in the restaurant was 100% first class !!!!!
A charming and delightful hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for Sea view
1 Thank Cath196
PLCrane, Owner at Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Great! Thank you for taking the time to write. We hope you join us again