“Best in OBAN bar none”
Review of Manor House Hotel

Manor House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 18 July 2008

Top class hotel well worth its 4 stars The location and view is great especially when the sun is setting and a Gin and Tonic is beckoning pity about the Midges though. Food was first class well presented and of very high quality. The staff were most helpful and booked us last minute ferries to IONA without a hitch. The front bedroom we had was well furnished and spotless although a wee bit small -- cosy and intimate might be a great description. If you are going to Oban this must be your first choice !! Bill and May

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 July 2008

We spent one night in Oban at the Manor House. If you like old style accommodations it's going to fit the bill. We loved the meals we had. Excellent food and wine list. We had a waterview room and that was nice. The bed was not very comfortable and could use replacing. I'd read about that before but took a chance on it anyway. I guess the reports were true. The room was quite small and clean. It's a lovely old hotel in a great location and a short walk to the town center. Oban was a great working port similar to what we're familiar with living near Portland, Maine.

• Stayed: July 2008
3  Thank WPGMaine_USA
Reviewed 4 June 2008

I loved this little hotel. After a long walk in the rain-they went to great effort to build a roaring fire in the drawing room and brought me tea and homemade shortbread. The bed was THE most comfortable bed I think I have ever slept in but I must admit-I think I had the same room as another reviewer as the tub panel was still hanging off-but it wasn't hard to fix-just clip it back in! Very convenient to have a laptop and free internet access to send emails home. I have very fond memories and hope one day to return!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CdnKerrie
Reviewed 17 May 2008

The Manor House is a gem. We decided to go to Oban to take the car ferry to the Isle of Mull. We were told by Scottish friends that Mull was not as "touristy" and large as Skye but with equally spectacular scenery.

The Manor House Hotel is literally 2 minutes down the road to the Ferry terminal. The hotel sits on a hillside over the harbor. It is a charming hotel with beautifully decorated rooms and common rooms and wonderful food. Room 5 has a great sea view.

We had great weather and thoroughly enjoyed sitting out on the terrace, watching the harbor and out islands, with coffee and shortbread, after a day of sightseeing. The best!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kronberg
Reviewed 10 April 2008

The Manor House in Oban is without doubt one of the best small hotels in Scotland. I have travelled in Scotland as a Photo-Journalist for over 40 years - and experienced some of the best and the worst hotels we have to offer. The Manor House is a Jewel on the West Coast and the BEST hotel in Oban. I stayed there for a week while covering the Royal National Mod in 2003 and have returned many times since then . It is still same lovely place today with friendly and helpful staff. Some rooms are a bit small but beautifully furnished and spotlessly clean very comfortable beds, bathrooms have showers that work!!!! and big towels . Dinner is excellent wonderfully cooked and presented to 5 star standards. Lunch in the bar is also a treat - the best Seafood Risotto ever . The room rates in mid to high season have got a wee bit too pricey - but still well worth a visit I will return soon...I would recommend it to anyone who likes excellent food and a place to chill out. W. Thornton Largs. Ayrshire.

Stayed: March 2008
3  Thank AyrshireSnapper
Reviewed 11 March 2008

Out of the 4 places that we stayed in during our 6 day visit to the Highlands of Scotland and back, this was the worst. We have rated it such because it promises so much yet delivers so little.

In another review i mention the Ballachulish Hotel, but at least there you pretty much know what you are getting when you arrive, here you perceive that you will get top quality and receive far less.

It is an impressive building with a large open hallway / entrance. the room we stayed in was tiny and could in my opinion, only just be called a double. The bathroom was nothing more than a corridor with a bath and toilet. the bath panel was hanging off when we arrived.

In certain places, for example the floor of the enrtrance hall, refurbishment work is required and it is unfortunately obvious that this work is required. There is no doubt that they do try, or at least some people there try, but in my opinion very few. Our drinks order at the bar was brought to us quickly followed by unexpected but pleasant canapes, a nice start to dinner after the shock of the room and the unpleasantness of the bathroom.

Dinner was awful.

Not only was it awful but I made it clear to the waiting staff that it was so. The (I assume) Maitre D' said that he would inform the Chef and that no doubt the Chef would want to speak with me about my concerns.

Now either the Maitre D' was genuinely concerned or he was trying to intimidate me as his words actually were "if you can tell me exactly what is wrong Sir then I can tell the Chef and no doubt he will then want a word with you" in truth I wasn't sure what his true motivation was, nonetheless I welcomed the forthcoming "discussion". No Chef appeared, and mysteriously the waiting staff seemed reluctant to attend our table!!

On the plus side we met an elderley couple who raved about the place and told us that they had been going there for over 20 years. We couldn't bring ourselves to tell them of our experience, neither could we tell them that in our opinion the staff actually treated them with a little disdain. Perhaps a case of familiarity breeding contempt.

Not a nice place at all, but more poignantly, not an honest place either, so far as cost against actual service as oppose to perceived service.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
13  Thank LG798500
Reviewed 7 March 2008

Very good hotel in relation to the area (Oban is a bit of a back-water and caught in a time-warp).

Hotel clean and comfortable. Booked a superior sea view room which provided magnificent views out over the bay.

Room was spacious, reasonably modern and the bed was very comfortable.

Only stayed one night on a B&B basis. Breakfast selection was excellent and food freshly cooked. A friend recently had dinner at the hotel and he reliably informed me that the food was of a very high standard.

Service was excellent although a little bit too stuffy and formal for my liking.

Beware the hotel's on-line booking service - you have got to contact the hotel by phone after booking to give them your credit card details.

After I booked on-line I received an e-mail stating that "the hotel receptionist would be in touch soon to request credit card details".

I expected a phone call but didn't get one. Instead, I got another rather cheeky e-mail a week or so later stating that if I did not contact the hotel within 2 days and provide my credit card details, they would cancel my booking.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple