“A hidden gem”
Review of Manor House Hotel

Manor House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 3 January 2009

Arlene and I spent three nights over New Year and we were pampered from start to finish. A really comfortable, friendly and intimate place.
Close to the centre of town but in an area that is particularly quiet and scenic.
Superb is probably the best description.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 November 2008

I have had the pleasure of staying in the Manor House twice this year and I love everything about it.
The hotel is Georgian so full of character,the rooms are small but beautifully decorated in a chintzy way which I like,hate bland modern rooms!
Bathrooms are very clean and they have Molton Brown tolitries.
The chef and his team are very talented and produce the most amazing food using local produce.
The hotel looks on to the sea so ask for a sea view room.
Perfect place for a romantic getaway as no children are welcome under 12.
We have children but sometimes it is nice to go away for a night on our own!Our kids love Crieff Hydro.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2008

Hotel is lovely probably suite for adults folks. Hotel staff are
exceptional in the duties and very friendly to chat to. Spent 5 nights there and enjoyed every one of them even with the rain.
State rooms are a little on the small size, but hotel makes up for that with care and attention to details. Food is outstanding, so well done to kitchen staff and head chef. Plan to return and enjoy their hospitality some day and in the not too distance future. Crandall's from Dundee, Scotland.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2008

Based on an experience I had at lunch here quite a few years ago, I was expecting attitude. I found instead a warm welcome and an eagerness to please. This is a lovely place, set on a hill above Oban's harbor. Even on a windy, rainy day, going into town was an easy 15-minute walk. (There's a shortcut through the ferry terminal.) My sea-view room was small, but charming and well-equpped. The bed and linens were excellent. Though I would have enjoyed a soak in a deep tub after a day of walking, it was disappointing that the tiny but efficient bathroom had only a shower. (I got over it.) The food in the elegant dining room was delicious and imaginatively prepared. The service was close to perfect. Some hotels seat single women like me at out-of-sight tables. My table was near the center, where I could observe the interesting mix of guests without feeling uncomfortable.

One quibble: The dining room entrance has a step, which I forgot about. I tumbled into the almost full room. My vanity and several parts of me were bruised. The kind of careful thought that is evident everywhere else in the Manor House needs to be applied to that step.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank HadleyW
Reviewed 17 October 2008

We stayed at the Manor House twice in September, initially on our way to the outer Isles and again on our return. On boith occassions we had extremely enjoyable visits. On the way out we had a Garden view room which proved to be one of the best hotel rooms we have stayed at any where in Europe. The evening meal was excellent, the word Cuisine can be applied to it.
On our return we had a smaller more basic room but it was still comfortable and much more than adequate. Dinner was of the same high standard.
We also had lunch on our first visit, which was very enjoyable.
I can not recommend this hotel highly enough, a fantastic 'jump off' point for a hebridean holiday.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2008

What a find!
We were looking for a small quality hotel in Oban within a comfortable walking distance of the town and ferry port and this suited us perfectly.
The bedroom was tastefully furnished with a superb view of the bay; perhaps not the largest room I have ever stayed in, but perfectly adequate. It was well equipped, even down to a pair of binoculars.The bathroom was spotlessly clean with an excellent shower, good quality toiletries and towels.
The hotel has first class chefs who prepare varied and imaginative fare: the five course dinner would be hard to beat, the only problem was making a choice from the menu! They also offered a wonderful complete Scottish breakfast which we found set us up admirably for our days out.
The staff are friendly and very helpful creating a relaxed almost country house atmosphere. The public rooms are comfortable, again with magnificent harbour views. Parking was easy and free.
All in all we would have no hesitation in recommending this super little hotel: good quality food and accomodation and well situated for touring the isles and surrounding countryside. We will be back again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2008

After a day travelling what could be better than unwinding at the Manor House Hotel. Very friendly staff, lovely room [most comfortable bed I've slept in !], excellent food. Unfortunately we were moving on the next day !

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family