“Really enjoyable stay!”

Royal Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Oban
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Service, food and location were excellent. Restaurant was worth visiting. Menu quite small (changed daily), but food was lovely and worth the price. Breakfast was great. Staff helpful and nice. Cleanliness of the room was held on a very high level. Only complaint was that the room was a wee bit too small for us and our baby, but we managed to fit, especially that we didnt spent to much time in this room during our stay. Also walls were to thin. It wasn't a problem for us, but would be for people slepping right beside our room, becouse our baby didnt feel to comfortable in the new place, so he was crying a lot before went to sleep. Car park also quite small, so maybe hard to get a space during busy periods. And also would be good, to have a chance to use wi-fi in the room. Overall we really enjoyed our stay. And I hope that people from rooms beside us enjoyed too.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed 16 October 2013

This is possibly the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay at. It cost me £138 for a superior sea view single occupancy. The corners of the room were covered in cobwebs. There was mould on the bathroom ceiling and the curtains were forced behind a cup hook on the wall. If this is what tourists are experiencing in Scotland quite frankly I am embarrassed. The only good thing about this place was the receptionist who checked me in. In the morning I told the new receptionist how unhappy I was and asked that she get the manager to go and inspect the room I stayed in. I then asked if he would be kind enough to call me back and justify the price he charged for a room this room and I am still waiting for his call. The hotel even had the cheek to ask me to leave a review on trip advisor. Hence my rant!

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel !!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jackie K
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Yet again I went to oban,myself this time ,good price on hotel Saturday night,bed b fast,£40 as this as I have said in centre of town great value ,,staff very pleasant as always,most helpful.with a smile on their faces, £2.90 for pint j,smith for an hotel brill.room was no 119. Small box type room bathroom ,toilet shower ,basin,this was fair size,you only look onto the other side of building,no view,this did not bother me as I am only there to sleep.got my car parked ok in hotel car park this holds about 12 cars I would say,I have a large jaguar ,so I was lucky..breakfast is buffet style and very good,can't complain on this ,apart for the usual in oban,not red hot,this just might be me but I eat my food scalding,so will not make an issue on this,,what more can I add,so friendly clean tidy,good service,and if you do need to park your car if car park full there are ,car parking near Kelvin hotel ,just a few minutes walk away,,the ferry ,and train,terminal and bus stance,only minutes from the royal,great location,,..for me local bars are near but my pint in the royal is a bit cheaper.never tried their evening meals yet but good menu,something for all.won't put prices down as these can change,,but let's say I would feel safe with the price and not worry about bank manager,,hope this helps..

Room Tip: No view in room 219
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Montgomery S
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for one night on a reduced rate deal. The hotel is a bit 'tired' but the staff were pleasant and friendly. The room was fine, the beds comfortable enough (the pillows a bit thin and hard!) and the bathroom was clean and bright. We had a bar meal of steak and ale pie which was very good. Breakfast was shambolic to say the least! It is buffet style and, despite the room not being particularly full, the staff did not seem to be able to keep the hot food supply topped up or sufficient glasses and plates available. We asked for more toast and, whilst the waiter was very pleasant and told us he would get some.....we are still waiting for the toast. We will stay again if we have the reduced rate but would certainly not be happy to pay full price as all in all it rates just average,

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed here at the end of September for 1 night,. Things got off to a bad start at check-in. Although I acknowledged I was early, I was informed with a little attitude that check-in time was 3:00 PM but I could leave my bag in the foyer and they would keep an eye of it. Later, in the room, there was a complimentary pack of shortbread that had been opened and one of the two fingers obviously already eaten, and someone had left a shaver in the bed-side draw. The room overall was quite dirty and behind the bed-rest was years worth of dust and debris. The windows also looked to be decades old and single glazed over looking a busy square. Breakfast looked far from inviting and I stuck to a couple of slices of toast as old dried food was easy to find on pates and cups.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Neil T
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

After staying in the hotel with a few friends for a night out I was really pleased with the location of the hotel and the friendly reception staff. The rooms were nice enough but quite dated, the shower was a nightmare as it was really only suitable for those under 5ft and I pretty much had to shower on my knees. The breakfast was fairly average but overall at the price we paid it was a pleasant stay

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Went away from Monday to Friday on a coach trip, arrived in the Royal Hotel about 4.00pm, staff are very helpful and friendly we were told our room numbers while still on the bus, and told to leave cases in reception and they would be bought up to our room. Really disappointed in the room very basic noisy floor boards and bed. When going for a shower it kept moving all over the place and soaking the floor, which can be quite dangerous. Hot water all the time which is great and kept very clean.For the size of Hotel lift very small and only fit 4 people at a time. Very disappointed on the evening meal the first night not much choice and not very warm, cooked breakfast every morning had a lovely choice but it could have been alot warmer.Once again staff were very helpful, evening meals got better as the week went on and we were happy with the choice, breakfast could be imrpoved. Once again staff were great, we had entertainment for 2 nights and thats was good for both of the night.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family