1,148 results
All reviews lounge bar buffet style ferry terminal single room bar meals night porter centre of town bit dated limited parking enjoyable stay bed and breakfast stayed here for one night lovely view porridge piper harbour
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed for one night, Had a single room which, on entering, smelled a bit damp. Noticed eventually that the window was locked shut (due to safety a notice said?) and as the bathroom fan didn't work it didn't take long for the room to steam up after a shower, so not surprising. However, apart from that, comfy bed and did have a good night's sleep. Heating very good which is a big plus for me!
Bar food was excellent, had the Cullen Skink which was one of the best I have tasted - yum!
Breakfast was buffet style and fine
This is one of those old fashioned 'grand hotels' which could be amazing with a total upgrade.
Staff very efficient and pleasant.
There is a car park but it is tiny and most people have to park in the surrounding streets, only issue is that you have free parking until 9am then have to run out and get a ticket! Maybe there is free parking elsewhere but as I didn't know the area I couldn't find any.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
John H, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Eileen.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay with us at The Royal Hotel.

I'm sorry to hear that you felt that the room smelled a bit damp, i have since had our maintenance team check this room out and we have since had the window open to allow ventilation. I can only apologise regarding this situation but if you had made our reception team aware of this we could have got this sorted for you at the time.

I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and dinner with us at the hotel as this is something we take great pride in.

We hope that you enjoyed your stay with us a the Royal Hotel and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I booked this hotel via booking dot com but, for some reason or another, managed to get the date wrong. This meant that, when we arrived, we were not booked in for that night. Unfortunately, the hotel was full and so they had no room for us.

The Under-manager I spoke to, (Joseph), went out of his way to find us alternative accommodation, looking up places on the internet and making phone calls on our behalf.

In addition, as he could tell from our booking document that we had indeed booked for the wrong date, (more than four weeks away), he agreed to return the full fee, which we had paid in advance. This had to be done by contacting booking dot com and giving Joseph's name as a point of contact. Within a couple of days, I received notification that the booking had been cancelled and the money refunded.

We had booked this hotel due to the competitive price and the great town-centre location. However, we now have an extra reason to book here next time we visit Oban, and that is down to the way we were treated by Joseph and his staff. I'll just be sure to double-check my dates next time.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Basic room and amenities. Nothing fancy and no frills. Clean room. We had a very short there so don’t have tons of feedback. Parked around the corner. Very convenient location to get around town though.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay at the Royal Hotel.

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass the lovely comments onto our team.

Thanks again for leaving the lovely feedback and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for one night only, thank heavens, we didn't book for two. £98/night.
The breakfast was good and the location was great....but,,,
The room has got to be the worst, I have ever stayed in. Dark, dingy, creaky, faded and yellowing decor. The bathroom is the tiniest, with a "stand in the bath" rusting showerhead.
I intend to re-visit this beautiful area again, but I wont be staying at the Royal

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madman.

I'm sorry to read of your disappointment regarding the lunch with us at The Royal Hotel.

Could you please contact me direct at the hotel regarding this matter to allow me to investigate this further.

Email Address - royalobanmanager@strathmorehotels.com

As this is not usual business at The Royal Hotel.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The room sizes vary but our room was a reasonable size that was comfortable, although not large. The bed was comfortable, which is one of the core requirements of a hotel. The bathroom was also good and appeared to have been recently remodelled and updated. The room was also tastefully decorated but our room had strong cooking odours coming from the nearby kitchen.

The hotel has a good size bar area on the ground floor with a good range of value-for-money meals and very good service. Overall the staff were very friendly and helpful.

There is a small store across the road that has a basic range of food and grocery items and wine.

The hotel is fairly centrally located in Oban, only a couple of hundred metres from the ferry terminal.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Lindsay.

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay with us at The Royal Hotel.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a strong cooking odour smell coming from the kitchen below. This is something that we are looking into to try and get this moved so that this wont effect and of our guests during there time with us.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Royal and i will pass your lovely comments onto our team.

And we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Kind regards