“Great family intro session”

Sea Kayak Oban Day Trips
More attraction details
Owner description: Sea Kayak Oban offers Sea Kayaking courses, trips and sea kayak rental from their base right on the harbour in the centre of Oban. 1-6 day trips and 1/2 day family trips through the school holidays. There longer trips visit the beautiful islands of gigha, Mull, Coll, Colonsay, Seil & Luing as well as the numerous uninhabited islands. Guests are also entitled to great discounts in their wonderful shop.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great family intro session”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We booked a half day family session for four adults and one child. The trip was late setting off and seemed a little under prepared at first but our guide was lovely, very knowledgeable and patient. The session on the water was brilliant. Lots of fun and very well pitched for beginners . We all had a great time especially the eight year old amongst us who really had the hang of it by the end. Time on water was added on to make up for late start. Highly recommended.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Asheville, North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“worth the wait”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Although we had a one hour delay to our trip, the experience I had sea kayaking with Oban Kayak was really impressive. Chris, our guide, was good at helping me improve my paddling technique with out being pushy. He was especially great at assisting another client when they went over board and panicked. I was really impressed with his professionalism. Seeing Oban from the water looking in was wonderful and Chris was really helpful at identifying buildings and birds.

Visited June 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“An ok introduction”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I joined Sea Kayak Oban for an introductory level course. I did enjoy my day but found the ratio of 1:8 not helpful when it was clear the group had mixed skills and confidence. I was a complete novice and found the pace just a touch too fast. I would have preferred a second sheltered day. I did not feel confident enough for two full days on the water, especially a less sheltered crossing on Day 2. I do think I could have really enjoyed this, if the pacing had slowed down a touch and time given before expecting novices to manage kayaking a distance.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank HeatherM199
feldian, Owner at Sea Kayak Oban Day Trips, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Thanks for your review. With the group of 8 people keen to learn to sea kayak there were in fact 2 very well qualified instructors giving a ratio of 1:4. For much of the first day the group was split into a younger, fitter, hyper team of 3 who thoroughly enjoyed a more adventurous introduction while the other group members enjoyed a much more relaxed intro. They came together at lunch time so that they could exchange & try different sea kayaks in the afternoon.
Following this Sea Kayaking Intro weekend 5 of the 8 participants have since booked on other trips and courses with Sea Kayak Oban. 2 of the participants have bought sea kayaks from our great shop and 1 has aquired enough skills to come back and rent a sea kayak
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A friendly introduction to the world of sea kayaking”
Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

I did their Inner Hebrides tour and really enjoyed it. We had a nice small group and a 1:2 instructor / pupil ratio which meant everyone got something from it, which is always good, especially with a very mixed range of ability and experience as we had in our group.

All the equipment provided was top quality which is important with the variable scottish weather and once you are kitted up the it really doesn't matter if it's lashing down with rain.

We got to see loads of wildlife including lots of otters and seals.

1 Thank Gibberis
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“New kayaker course and three day trip to Ghia”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Sea Kayak Oban are excellent for all levels of Kayakers and will give advice on any related needs you have. Highly recommend them as your first port of call for any kayaking trips or courses.

Visited May 2012