“'Sweet as!'”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery
Reviewed 9 April 2012

On our short break to Scotland we took a trip up to Oban for the day and as usual, being beside the sea I had a fancy for some fish and chips, only to get a shock at the prices the chippys were charging for Haddock and chips (£9), thank god the kids pulled me towards where the Caledonian Ferry was docked and we chanced upon the 'Seafood Hut'. What a find!
This place is what Fast food dining is all about! We spent a good hour sitting on the benches and worked our way through every variety of seafood they had for sale, in fact if I was alone I would have spent all day there just eating! You can't get much fresher! The ferry can be noisy when it's docked but dont let that stop you visiting this Oasis of seafood!!!! I bought some mussels, prawns and a live crab to take back to our Loch side rented log cabin for a snack later that evening only to find the kids had sneaked the crab out and released it into the Loch! So if you see 'Freddie the crab' in Loch Awe please say high from Honey and Kyle!

8  Thank paorahira

Reviewed 25 March 2012

This little hut does what many seafood restaurants fail on it sells fresh quality seafood that isn't mucked up about with. The staff were friendly and gave some of the customers who perhaps havent sampled such fresh seafood the confidence to try. This isn't the type of place you would go for dinner but it is so good for lunch the setting and food are fantastic. I will certainly be returning next time my travels bring me to Oban.

8  Thank Hogylon
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Always have a prawn sandwich from the hut when I am in Oban and they are fab.

12  Thank Pazyryk
Reviewed 22 October 2011

If you ignore the ferry terminal and whenever the rain relents, the place is without equal in Scotland.
It is *just* a wee shack, but you can't get such good dishes and service in many fine restaurants.
Okay, you can have plusher surroundings and candlelight, but you can't badger a platter of oysters into tasting this good.
The scallops are sublime, the crayfish sweet and tender, oh and those oysters...
I could go on for a long time.
Just go, you don't even have to be a gastronomic adventures, you can just try the prawn sandwiches.
I'll end by echoing the remark made by another reviewer: head for the ferry terminal, keep walking past the shack/chippie van by the textile outlet.

9  Thank coffeebean11
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Had hoped for more from this green hut given the great reviews. Not sure if there is more on offer in the Summer (we were there in October) but the only hot food available was mussles or scallops served with a floppy slice of brown loaf. Mussles were tasty enought but crusty bread would have been so much better. Scallops looked rather sad on a paper plate with a single lettuce leaf, slice of cucumber, tomato and again the sad slice of hovis. Lots of building work going on in the vacinity and to compensate they were giving their customers free tea and coffee which was a nice touch,