“Two nights stay”

Ranked #52 of 99 Oban B&B and Inns
morayshire
“Two nights stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Owner gave us a very warm welcome was very helpful and chatty. Room for 3 was very clean and spacious as was shower room. Kettle ,assorted teas, coffee and milk provided in bedrooms and sitting room and down stairs sitting room was comfortable and had cosy atmosphere. We did not order the continental breakfast as it was expensive think it was £8.00 to be fair the owner recommended that we could get breakfast in café along the road. The Thursday night was fine but when we came back to stay the following Friday the noise from the pub across the road was horrendous. Till well after midnight. Would not recommend weekend stay in front guest room for this reason also the stair unsuitable for elderly or disabled. Think that £28.00 each for one room was a bit over priced especially as the beds were very basic although bedding very fresh and clean. An over night visit would be fine but could not have stayed there a whole week. It is central and in easy walking distance to town and harbour areas.

Room Tip: Do not take room at front of house at the weekend if you go to bed before 1.00 am
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
e b, Owner at Cameron Guesthouse, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
We would just like to say this is the only review or person we have had staying with us over 4 years that has ever mentioned the noise from the street. I can only assume that they slept with the window open and yes unfortunately you would get street noise as we are very close to the town centre. I like to leave it up to guests to open or close their windows. Half of our rooms are facing the street so I am glad it was only this person that had this problem in the 4 years.
I am sorry they were also not so happy with the beds but we are only a guest house not a 4/5 Star hotel. We cant really fit 4 poster beds and the likes in our rooms.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
bedlington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed here for one night on our journey to Mull and Iona. Although travelling as a family our son stayed with relatives so we had a double room. It had everything you could need including an iron and ironing board. It was nicely furnished, clean and comfortable. The en suite was excellent. The lack of breakfast in the morning was no problem as there are plenty of reasonable café in Oban and it gives you the freedom to get on with your day instead of waiting around. We ended up in the Tesco café for ours as we needed shopping to take with us on our journey. I thought it was a reasonable price for the standard of room and I would definitely stay here again for one or two nights.

Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

The location of the guest house is great! It is very close to town centre without being very noisy.  We booked a family suite with a shared bathroom, it was on the top floor.  If you have a lot of luggage, that might be a hassle.  The owner was particularly nice and friendly, but a lot of times she won't be in the guesthouse (except reception time and morning), so if you have anything to ask, you will have to call.
The room is made for three to four people, the bed I slept in was a sofa bed pulled down.  I was very tired, so I had a good night sleep.  There is a little dent on the bed, but the owner did try to thicken that part of it by putting more duvet.  The other beds were comfortable too.  Everything was clean and had a good clean sheet smell to it.  The room did have a very small TV, and it was high above the wardrobe.  It felt kind of tiring to watch it, as i always have to lift my head up high. The bathroom is shared with another room on our floor and am situated outside our room. There wasn't much problem with the bathroom, and it was a spacious room in itself.  We stayed in the lounge for a little while, the sofa was very comfortable.  I would consider staying there again if I ever go to Oban again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Family booking, 2 nite stay. Booked over the phone, gave debit card details for security (normal procedure). I offered to pay over the phone but owner declined this and preferred the cash of £240 on arrival. Arrived at 6.20pm (previously informed that check in time was between 4-7pm). The owner was there when we arrived and said to us that she wasn't sure if we were coming???? I could understand this if we were late but this wasn't the case. Upon coming home and 4 days later after leaving this guesthouse, a debit card transaction appeared on my bank statement for Cameron House. I thought very strange considering we paid already. I telephoned the owners to query this and was informed that they didn't think we were coming so did a "credit check" by taking a payment from my account and then voiding it. Very strange!! We were also not given a receipt for cash payment and had to ask for one. We were not informed about any of this when we arrived (on time) at the guest house ... Anyway we stayed in room 3 which is the triple. There was coffee, tea etc provided. Room was clean and nicely decorated with fresh towels provided. The website states an en-suite but this didn't include a bath so it was a bit tricky to wash our 4 month baby to say the least! However we were provided with a travel cot as promised. The guesthouse it situated opposite a pub so we were woken up by the noise at closing time both nights. Overall the owners of the guest house seemed friendly and helpful however we felt the payment procedure seemed a bit underhand and hadn't been informed about "credit check". I can understand this procedure when they have a no show but we were within check-in times. Oban itself is beautiful and we will definitely return but not to this guest house unfortunately. I have rated this guesthouse 3 stars to be fair and honest overall but would rate it 1 star when it comes to unnecessary credit checks and payment procedure, be aware of this when booking directly with the owners which I did.

1 Thank Crystal M
e b, Owner at Cameron Guesthouse, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
I am sorry that this guest found the verification of credit cards taken as security for a booking underhand. unfortunately in this case, the bank released money into the banking system it was very unfortunately as I explained to this guest. The transaction was never completed at our end I showed the guest I even emailed a copy of the voided slip. no money was ever received at our end, it was a banking error, made worse by a bank holiday weekend. It is normal procedure to verify credit/debit cards when a booking is made to ensure the booking is legitimate. As we have found out there are some that are not!
When booking this room the guest explained that they had 4 children and what was the best I could do for them with out the expense of 2 rooms and that they did not mind the children sharing a bed.
I offered them this large triple stating that I could move the 2 singles together to make a super kingsized bed but I would like her to check the room on a web site given so that she could see if she would be happy. as there would be 2 adults and 4 children in the one room. this web site does have photos and a detailed description of the room, therefore I am a bit shocked to have the guest mention there was no bath. the description of the room mentions a double sized shower, I would have though that if a bath was necessary the guest would have mentioned this. Also a cot was provided but was originally declined when booking, the room was big enough to take the addition of a cot and probably better that having to sleep with a baby and a toddler and have 2 adults in a bed.
Roma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

The place itself is ok, in a walk distance from he center.
Owners have been really kind with us, rooms were big and clean and the bathroom was the bigger we have seen during our Scottish trip.
Few points against this place:
- Breakfast is not included. During our trip, at the same price, we have always found B&B with great breakfast. Anyway, 10%off is given having breakfast in a place suggested by the owners
- Owners were not always available. When we arrived, they were waiting for us and gave us many info on Oban, being really kind to us but, when we were looking for them, it was quite difficult to find them.
- One of my friend's bed broke up. We fixed it but if was impossible to find the owners.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HenriK84
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed in the family room, the room was very comfortable and had everything we needed. The owner couldn't have been kinder or more helpful. 5 mins walk to the centre of Oban, the offer of a continental breakfast. Nice, quiet and peaceful, would definitely return.

Room Tip: Family room was great, spacious, modern en suite with one double one single with tea and coffee maki...
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Great location, off road parking also very good. Landlady advised she would not be there on our arrival and key left behind door, this was fine as she advised us the morning of arrival. No breakfast as we knew on booking but 10% off at a local cafe which was lovely. Although on return to our room around 10 am (check out at 10.30am) room doors open our bathroom towels etc had been removed our belongings still in the room, the second room we booked for friends had also had the bed stripped. Surely if before check out time the rooms should not be entered by cleaners !!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ian C
e b, Owner at Cameron Guesthouse, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
In response to the doors having been opened and rooms entered on the day of leaving, this was a genuine mistake by the person helping me, me being the owner, not a cleaner so they could have mentioned this to me if it had been a problem at the time. They were the only ones to yet check out so every thing was totally safe and although the beds had been stripped in one room before I had realised what my friend had done I did not think it was worth re making the beds just for the sake of it. Unfortunately that was my mistake.
Which has never been repeated.