“Overpriced”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Lovely views if you get one of the 3 tables looking over the bay. We were lucky in that respect although there was little leg room at the ends of our table. It was difficult to see the menu on the board with people in the way,
For mains ,our Monkfish wrapped in pancetta was very dry. However our friends enjoyed their surf n turf and lobster. Starters were fine. The 2 choices for dessert apart from ice cream were similar, nothing we fancied so we passed. The service was efficient though lacking warmth. All in all we felt the experience was only average and the meal was very overpriced, so we won't be returning.

2  Thank ArtBohemian

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Small restaurant near the port of Oban. I've been there twice already. Food good and fresh. It is not expensive, but it depends on what you eat. The mussels are great! The pavlova with berries is fantastic!!
You have to book early because it is always full.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

I went with my wife for dinner on Wednesday 21st August with at some expectations, not too high, but some. Firstly the setting is fantastic, looking out over Kerrera and Oban bay is amazing and we had great window seats. I ordered the scallops for a starter which were good, nothing amazing but on a par with other restaurants charging similar prices (£7.45) My wife had crab claws and again they were good, big portion of claws and some nice salad and lime mayo. Then we went on to the main courses and this is where they really let themselves down. I had surf and turf, which at £36 is VERY expensive but you expect to get something worth that price. The half lobster was cooked well, and fillet steak was a nice fat one and well cooked, but everything was so DRY. It would be so easy to stick a melting lump of herb garlic butter on the steak, but no, nothing. The lobster came with a tiny pot of mayo mixed with ketchup, ie 1970s Marie Rose sauce....not really stretching themselves creatively, just lazy. I had, I kid you not, a RAMEKIN of salad leaves on the side (gone in one mouthful) and some nasty little potatoes that tasted as if they'd been languishing in a fridge for some time and reheated. For £36 it was very poor and the amount of meat with little else on the plate meant I started feeling like I was having a protein overdose half way through the meal and had to force myself to finish it......and ended up feeling queasy.

Now to my wife's main course, halibut with lobster butter. At £26 very expensive also (note here the prices on the restaurant's website are £20 for the halibut and £29 for the surf and turf, but you get in to the restaurant and this turns into £26 and £34 for these two dishes respectively, so what's that all about?). The halibut was very dry and overcooked and when we imagined lobster butter we thought of a nice lobster based sauce on the plate.....the 'lobster butter' turned out to be a weird sort of patchy dry blob of stuff with a hard skin on it which was glued to the top of the halibut, evidently as a result of the cooking process. Lobster butter? This was served with a few of the same potatoes I was served with, and the vegetables? Literally EIGHT green beans on the dry plate and that was it. Really really poor. I buy halibut from watts fishmonger quite regularly and cook it at home so I know what it costs (about £3-4 for a decent sized steak) and I know what excellent quality it is. This was awful cooking that ruined the fish, a tiny amount of just one type of vegetable and for a restaurant charging this much (not far off michelin star prices really) we felt insulted. The calmac fish and chips on the ferry the night before was better than this and it was £15 for two. I honestly can't imagine why people give this place good ratings if this is what they are served. I guess ignorance is bliss.

On reading trip advisor what is interesting is the restaurant makes no effort to respond to any customer reviews on this site...I've never seen that before and I think it indicates either total ignorance of the site and the importance it can play in obtaining feedback to make meaningful improvements, or they just can't be bothered acknowledging people. Either way, we won't be going back.

5  Thank Huw_Gallanach
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Dined here for the second time,first under the new owners,and the food is still amazing,pricey maybe a tad,but fresh and tasteful,good to know where it came from and that its very fresh.
Service was lovely,a pleasure to eat here.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Loved our meal! Delicious Cullen Skink soup, Monkfish wrapped in parma ham, crabcakes with advocado and the most yummy pavlova with summer fruits. All of the highest standard and super service by the charming girls. We are noticing the main course prices are getting really expensive in comparison to previous visits and we think they will have to take note in this climate when people are watching their spending habits. It was a treat and we will return! Please do not price yourself out of the market! Please reserve table ahead as only seats about 20 over two sittings.