“Lovely little museum”

Oban War & Peace Museum
Ranked #3 of 47 things to do in Oban
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is a lovely little free museum full of interesting little facts about the world wars and the contributions that Oban made. It is very small and has volunteers but I found it a bit intimidating!! I think its great but because it is so small its difficult to concentrate as I felt I was on view all the time. Anyway that said it has some lovely displays and its sad as it only exists because of those people who gave so much. Its near to several hotels and opposite the waterfront. Its the second time I have visited this little gem. Its always worth taking the time to visit this little place.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

called in here for a quick visit, which turned into over an hour on two separate days as it was next to hotel. lots of interesting and varied displays.

Thanks

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Well thought out museum, concentrating on the role of Oban during the last war. Provides a glimpse of what it was like for those who sacrificed so much.

1  Thank 573robinl
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We went to have a nosey in the museum as we had some time to kill before our bus. The museum is free entry, and is full of excellent information, loads of things to look at about the area and a short video about the area as well. There is a donation box in which we put some money in as the staff were volunteers and very friendly and answered our questions.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We visited the Oban museum as there were leaflets dotted around the town and we thought we'd give it a go, especially as it is free. They have a lot of very interesting exhibits and, for such a small museum, cover a great deal of history. It just felt a little awkward as we were in there on our own with the 2 volunteers who were working there and felt like we needed to be 50 years older to fully appreciate the museum. Even the volunteer commented that we were possibly the youngest visitors he had seen. Thankfully, more people turned up so it was less awkward as, as friendly as the volunteer was, when he was talking to us I felt like I was in a history test. I like history but I don't study it and can't quote dates and things, I found him hard to follow and was too embarrassed to admit that "no, I didn't know what he was talking about". For a free, volunteer run museum, it is excellent and well worth a visit if you are interested in WW1 and WW2. They have some wonderful items and exhibits and can tell you some interesting stories, just beware if you're young and don't know that much about history like me, you may feel a little foolish and out of place.