“Oban”
Review of Columba Hotel

Columba Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I have just returned from a lovely weekend at he Columba Hotel. I had read a few bad reviews but i can honestly say i don,t know why. I stayed in room 102 and it was lovely it was also nice and warm especially that towel rail in the toilet. The room was also lovely and clean. It is a bit dated in bits but the new owner is redecorating.
The breakfast was lovely i don,t usually have a full breakfast but i did on this occassion and i reall enjoyed it.
The staff where all lovely and had a smile on there faces all of the time. I will go back to this hotel again
Sandra

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Scarlett M, Public Relations Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts,and look forward to welcoming you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Matthew Hamer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,092)

Reviewed 6 April 2012

This is an imposing building set on the harbour in Oban. It is very close to the shops and amenities of the town and has a lively bar/restaurant adjoining the premises that is very reasonably priced. My room was very spacious, clean and comfortable - with a huge en - suite that was larger than many single bedrooms I've stayed in at other hotels! I found the staff to be pleasant, polite and attentive (especially the older gentleman night porter). The view from my room was spectacular and I spent nearly an hour just watching seals in the bay through my bedroom window, and again later in the evening looking at the ships and harbour lights. The facilities in my en - suite bathroom were superb, and the whole room was lovely and warm. I cannot comment on the breakfasts because I had to be on the road too early the following morning to try one, but if the rest of the hotel is an indication I'm sure they're very nice. The only criticism I have is that there was nowhere close to park the big van I was driving during my stay, but there is a big free car park near the leisure centre about 3/4 of a mile away (there is on site parking for cars, but I think you have to pay?) This was only a tiny inconvenience to me compared to staying in this great hotel! This is by far my favourite hotel in Scotland, and I hope to visit again very soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the harbour.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the above mentioned member of staff and appreciate when people receive a particular mention when they are attentive. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I have just spent an overnight in the Columba Hotel and I was very pleased with the cleanliness of the room and bathroom and also the comfort of the beds. I travelled with my 11 year old nephew and my 8 year old niece. We were given a room on the third floor which was great although the lift is very small and quite in need of upgrading. The view from the room was over the pier (from one window) and from the little seating area, was of McCaig's Folly - it was very picturesque. We ate in the small bar in the evening but I felt that the presentation could have been better. Breakfast was substantial and a good selection/choice. Overall, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The outside could be doing with upgrading as well as some of the decor in the corridor. I would certainly go back and would request the same room as we had this time.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. There is currently on going refurbishment program that will include the areas mentioned. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

This was a 2 day trip to Oban in Febuary. How lucky for us that the weather was very kind. The room in the hotel had the most fantastic views out over Oban Bay .The room was large clean and the beds comfortable. We even had a separate seating area in the turret.The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. I have read many negative things about this hotel and i can honestly say i must have been staying somewhere else as it was not in my opinion as bad as reported. Yes its dated , but hey you get what you pay for, i found it quite charming the old fashined lift and the decor.

Room Tip: Pay for a suite overlooking the Bay, well worth the little extra.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

The hotel room was large and clean. the staff were very friendly only disapointment was the breakfast was very basic. However would go back as the view from the room was outstanding.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the Food and beverage team. Would there be anything in particular that you feel would enhance the breakfast? Please email columba@sgehotels.com as we welcome feedback Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

Currently staying in a 1970's tribute room, This standard may have been acceptable 30 years ago but not now. No free wi-fi, a burgundy bathroom suite, stained carpet, an electric heater that doesn't work, not enough sockets for a laptop and phone, decoration that is apparently new but still out dated, a lift from the 30's. Shabby is the best word I can use .They have offered me another room (hence the 2 stars) but at 10 pm its too late and i am here for only one night.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Scarlett M, Guest Relations Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I can take solace in that you raised your concerns with the reception team and they did offer to move you. Due to recently being bought out of administration there was only necessary maintenance work done when we were being run in administration, however the current owners have implemented a schedule of works to bring the remaining rooms up to the standard of the rest of the rooms that had been completed prior to administration. Thank you once again for your feedback

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Just returned from a stay at the Columba hotel and to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. From the welcome at reception (non existent) to the worn out carpets leading to our room and the smell of greasy food that will stay in my nostrils for days to come. The room was poorly lit, bed rock solid and toilet wasn't nice at all.Doors with holes in it and paint splashes over the carpet. Being asked if I wanted to open my bottle of wine myself was a first at dinner.This experience has put me off visiting Oban again which is a shame. Be warned.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank meshcfc

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team. There is currently an extensive refurbishment program in place to upgrade the Hotel. Your comment regarding the service has resulted in a refresher course for all staff to improve the service all round Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.