“Totally Loved It - Great Value Too”
Review of Columba Hotel

Columba Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My family stayed in room 101. Our room had an awesome side view of the harbor. The kids had a hide-a-bed that was in it's own separate area of the large room. It's an old hotel with high ceilings that has been nicely renovated.

The bathroom was great. The bed wasn't amazing, but it was adequate and I was very tired from lots of hiking in the lovely Highlands.

Breakfast was really good too.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Matthew Hamer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,092)

Reviewed 24 April 2012

My wife and I spent 4 nights at the Columba hotel in Oban in March 2012. Both the room and the food were excellent with the room having a view out to sea. The only problem is the car park only 10 pl;aces for almost 50 rooms on a first come first come bases. When full you have to pay to park. But that seems to be a problem with some other hotels in Oban. We were lucky in that we were always able to get a free parking place during out 4 night stay. I would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the sea are best
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GGHD
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I am pleased that you were able to get parking for the full duration of your stay and as you so rightly said this is a problem not monopolized by the Columba Hotel as we are aware that other Hotels do charge for parking in their own Hotel spaces. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Booked in for a short break of three nights to take a look at the west coast scenery. At the time of the booking it wasn't made clear that there was very limited parking at the hotel itself, if you missed out on one of the 9 free spots it was 80p an hour (9 a.m to 6 p.m.).
They really should have made this a bit more prominent on their website.
That said, the view from our room (215) was fantastic. Windows opened on to a balcony which overlooked the harbor and had views across the water to the Isle of Mull. The rooms on the opposite side of the hotel overlooked derelict ground which could in no way be considered attractive. Maybe we lucked out for once.
Breakfast was especially good, the black pudding being of exceptional quality. Great choice and as much as you wanted. All buffet style but the food kept coming and the staff were always there to get you want you wanted. The room was OK, bedroom was a bit cramped but you could have played football in the bathroom. Strange that. All the usual amenities were included, tea, coffee, flat screen et al so no problem there. What did cause us pain, to the back mostly, was the 4' 6" bed which had seen better days. Very uncomfortable and the help had probably missed the 50p sized hole in the duvet. Well you can have everything. Water was hot and in plentiful supply with a reasonable delivery attitude. The towels weren't Egyptian cotton but adequate.
Enough hanging space for our stay but you would be pushed to fit more than a few days worth of clothes into the wardrobe.
Access difficult for the disabled and the lift was very small and rickety. Lots of stairs and many levels on each floor.
Didn't try the evening meal but it looked like a set menu type thing. There was a lounge and pub co-located but we didn't use either as we spent most of our days sightseeing.
Wi-fi available at a fiver for the connection. This actually got you £3 credit when you connected and lasted a couple of hours. Thought that was criminal as the majority of places today offer a free service. They need to look at that as I felt it was a bit of a rip off.
Would I stay there again? Probably not. The whole area is inundated with hotels, motels and B&B's so if I return I will do a little ore research and find myself something better.
I have tried to be objective and honest with my review but everyone standards and exceptions are different. To some this hotel may have been excellent, to others garbage. To me sufficient to the task but only once I'm afraid.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team. A mixed bag of positive and negative feed back that has been taken on board Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

The Hotel is situated right on the Seafront and close to all of Oban's amenities. Got this at a great price so can have no substantial complaints. The interior is a bit tired bedroom carpets etc even though the room has been refurbished. Public Lounge is disappointing. Burst Chairs and tired decor. Breakfast is very good-great selection, and evening meal equally good and reasonable. Staff accomodated sea view request willingly. Bedrooms a good size.

Overall with a little attention to decor this could be a great hotel, as it is it still represents very good value for money.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CelticFire
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team. The area you described above has had a freshen up and we are currently awaiting the delivery of new seating I am lead to believe. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

The hotel seems to have been part refurbished. The room was good, but the bathroom was in need of a bit of attention. Clean enough, but the water temperature wasn't reliable. Aside from that, good value for money.

Room Tip: Avoid the dodgy shower in room 216, unless you like an unexpected cold shower!

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team. Remedial maintenance is on going and we have had the water heaters surveyed to ensure the are working to the capacity that they should be. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

We had a 2 night stay at the Columba with the family. Our room on the 1st floor had a great view over the harbour and bay. The room was clean but was in need of upgrading. There was bubbling wallpaper and sockets coming away from the wall when plugs were pulled. The hair-dryer didn't work, although this was very quickly replaced when brought to the attention of staff. The bathroom had a comical colour scheme with red/burgundy suite with a white (yes white) toilet seat and green marble shelf. Breakfast was good although did have to ask for glasses and more bacon. We got a discounted rate for this hotel so we were not expecting too much as I believe you get what you pay for. Others in our party said their rooms were nice and modern so maybe we just got unlucky.

Room Tip: ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Scarlett M, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team to ensure that they have an opportunity to utilize the feedback from guests to streamline the department operations. I do agree there are a small number of rooms left to be refurbished and there is a schedule of works in place to achieve this Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

stated for a couple of days over easter and thought the hotel was great, good staff, meals were great, rooms were good but could do with a bit of a refurbishment but the views made up for it, would stay there again when we return and would reccomend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: hotel is in a fantastic location so you get a good view regardless of what room you stay in.