“Columba to the rescue!!!!!”
Review of Columba Hotel

Columba Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We arrived in Oban on Friday 8th June expecting to be booked into The Rowantree Hotel for Friday and Saturday only to find we had been booked for Saturday and Sunday. The duty manager at the Rowantree managed to get us accommodation for the Friday @ The Oban Columba. On arrival we found the receptionist very pleasant and helpful and recommended three restaurants where we could get a nice evening meal. We were shown to our rooms which were nicely decorated and clean with a great view of Oban harbour. Breakfast was self service but the food was of decent quality and you could eat as much as you wanted. Car parking was free and the help hotel was handy for the ferry to Mull,the helpful receptionist gave us timetables for the ferry. Overall the hotel was good value for money and was clean and our room looked to have been recently refurbished I would stay here again and recommend it for an overnight stop.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the harbour beautiful!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank FigoSanquhar
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the reception team member. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Matthew Hamer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,101)

Reviewed 24 May 2012

The views from our room were wonderful and the sun shone throughout our stay. The hotel is slightly tired round the edges but the rooms and comfortable and clean and JeanMarie on Reception went out of her way to be helpful. We had a little turreted sitting area in our room which was a bonus. The lift is a strange contraption! Breakfast was disappointing - the food on the uncovered buffet had obviously been there for a while and the eggs were solid. I had toast which seemed a good option. The Harbour bar is pleasant and it was generally a good central choice of hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the kitchen team to improve the constant flow of freshly prepared breakfast items based on the volume of our clients arriving for breakfast. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

First impressions were poor, the receptionist seemed hostile, but soon realised that was simly her way, as she made a point of calling out each time I went past and checking all was okay. Room was perfectly okay with good range of soaps etc. For this price you might expect a bit of ropeyness, the only thing was the portable electric heater was a bit rusty, everything else fine, and I loved the dated deep maroon bathroom suite! Breakast was that buffet style you get in a big hotel, so not anything like home-cooked b & b - you can't expect it. Coffee good though, and great view of the bay. Cupboard door fell off en route to the bacon - but at least it was a talking point. Great end to an 11 day trip round the coast.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank hwylasbri
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again. PS the public area renovation work that was scheduled is now complete including the new flooring and carpets and we think it looks great.

Reviewed 4 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed in Oban over the weekend and The Columba was the best choice for hotel. The rooms are just lovely nice and spacious we had great views over the bay. It seems like the public areas are being rennovated so cant really judge this area. The staff are all very friendly and nothing was a hassle I would recomend staying at The Columba.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank gordoncamp

Reviewed 26 April 2012

My family stayed in room 101. Our room had an awesome side view of the harbor. The kids had a hide-a-bed that was in it's own separate area of the large room. It's an old hotel with high ceilings that has been nicely renovated.

The bathroom was great. The bed wasn't amazing, but it was adequate and I was very tired from lots of hiking in the lovely Highlands.

Breakfast was really good too.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 April 2012

My wife and I spent 4 nights at the Columba hotel in Oban in March 2012. Both the room and the food were excellent with the room having a view out to sea. The only problem is the car park only 10 pl;aces for almost 50 rooms on a first come first come bases. When full you have to pay to park. But that seems to be a problem with some other hotels in Oban. We were lucky in that we were always able to get a free parking place during out 4 night stay. I would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the sea are best
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GGHD
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I am pleased that you were able to get parking for the full duration of your stay and as you so rightly said this is a problem not monopolized by the Columba Hotel as we are aware that other Hotels do charge for parking in their own Hotel spaces. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Booked in for a short break of three nights to take a look at the west coast scenery. At the time of the booking it wasn't made clear that there was very limited parking at the hotel itself, if you missed out on one of the 9 free spots it was 80p an hour (9 a.m to 6 p.m.).
They really should have made this a bit more prominent on their website.
That said, the view from our room (215) was fantastic. Windows opened on to a balcony which overlooked the harbor and had views across the water to the Isle of Mull. The rooms on the opposite side of the hotel overlooked derelict ground which could in no way be considered attractive. Maybe we lucked out for once.
Breakfast was especially good, the black pudding being of exceptional quality. Great choice and as much as you wanted. All buffet style but the food kept coming and the staff were always there to get you want you wanted. The room was OK, bedroom was a bit cramped but you could have played football in the bathroom. Strange that. All the usual amenities were included, tea, coffee, flat screen et al so no problem there. What did cause us pain, to the back mostly, was the 4' 6" bed which had seen better days. Very uncomfortable and the help had probably missed the 50p sized hole in the duvet. Well you can have everything. Water was hot and in plentiful supply with a reasonable delivery attitude. The towels weren't Egyptian cotton but adequate.
Enough hanging space for our stay but you would be pushed to fit more than a few days worth of clothes into the wardrobe.
Access difficult for the disabled and the lift was very small and rickety. Lots of stairs and many levels on each floor.
Didn't try the evening meal but it looked like a set menu type thing. There was a lounge and pub co-located but we didn't use either as we spent most of our days sightseeing.
Wi-fi available at a fiver for the connection. This actually got you £3 credit when you connected and lasted a couple of hours. Thought that was criminal as the majority of places today offer a free service. They need to look at that as I felt it was a bit of a rip off.
Would I stay there again? Probably not. The whole area is inundated with hotels, motels and B&B's so if I return I will do a little ore research and find myself something better.
I have tried to be objective and honest with my review but everyone standards and exceptions are different. To some this hotel may have been excellent, to others garbage. To me sufficient to the task but only once I'm afraid.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team. A mixed bag of positive and negative feed back that has been taken on board Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.