“Use your money wisely”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Use your money wisely”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

Stayed here at short notice on 20 July 12. The hotel is very dated but was pretty clean. Our room was also dated, the bathroom suite was aubergine, thought they were outlawed in the 80's. The decor was very tired although the room was clean and the bed was very comfy. We were lucky and had a good view of the harbour. Had to fix the tv arial to get any channels, but figured it easier to self help than call for service. Food in the Retaurant was below par and the waiter struggled to get most orders correct, our drinks never arrived! Although the prices were reasonable. Overall, great location, but not on my list for future visits.

Room Tip: Definately get a harbour view, top floor quieter, but not a noisy location anyway.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark F
Scarlett M, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the restaurant and kitchen team. Regarding the décor there is an ongoing refurbishment plan in place which is scheduled to restart after the summer the (outlawed bathroom suites first on the list of refurbishment) Thank you once again for your feedback

Matthew Hamer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

we have stayed in the columba hotel 3 times and always found it good . our room was very clean and very comforable. our room has spectacular views of oban bay [ the front of the hotel ] . the breakfast is very good . the staff are very helpful and will attend to you very quickly. the hotel is very family friendly . the elevator is however very small , cramped and old , one man could only fit himself and 2 suitcases in with him [ very small ] the stair cases are slightly tired and worn out
however i would highly recommend this hotel to anyone i will definately be coming back :]

Room Tip: second floor bay rooms have spectular views of oban bay
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I cant disagree regarding the size of the lift however I think the impact would be greater on our clientele if we didn’t have one. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

Being used to the larger rooms and facilities seen in US hotels, one's expectations need to be re-set here. You trade modern for authenticity. Space is at a premium here. The meals are similarly Scottish. But rooms are clean and the location can't be beat. There's a virtually "Presidential" bedroom over the dining room if you really want to stay in style -- Oban style.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I can appreciate that you are used to larger facilities however we do endeavor to work with what we have available. Thank you once again for your feedback.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

We went into the hotel on speck. The reception staff were outstanding, and found us two rooms which more than met our expectations. My 86 year old mother was thrilled when we took her to our room,the Window Suit . My mother and sister shared a twin close to the lift and was lovely but our room left us speechless, my husband and I have traveled extensively and been in lots of hotel rooms, though the room is not yet finished, I did not expect to find a room of this standard in Oban.
I could pick on a few things in bathroom but I'm not going to as our overall satisfaction with the facilities of the room was 99%.
Evening meal was disappointing with most of the food over cooked, my husband was looking forward to Oban mussels but they were quite dry. Stuart looked after us with enthusiasm and made sure we got our cheese and wine to take to our room.
Breakfast was well presented, special eggs for my mother and sister were no problem to the staff, the food was lovely, Stuart and others were more than willing to make sure everything was to our satisfaction.
Thank you to all I will look forward to our next visit from Australia,I hope the staff keep there enthusiasm .

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team. I am pleased your overall experience was a good one and have taken on board your comments regarding your dining experience and have escalated them to our kitchen team. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

A one night business stop over. Receptionist friendly and efficient. Booked a superior single room with sea view and was on the third floor with a truly great view. Room was dated but spotless and well equipped with hair dryer, not that I need one any more, iron and ironing board. The bathroom was bigger than the bedroom and included the wardrobe. Enjoyed a bar meal that was not pretentious but well presented and very good value for money. Again, the bar staff very friendly. Had an early start before breakfast was served and no problem in arranging a continental breakfast. Would make a good base for exploring this part of the country.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Scarlett M, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I am pleased you have rated our product as good value for money and your individual requirements were met regarding breakfast. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed here 3 nights as part of a tour. I had a good room on 1st floor overlooking Oban. I used stairs mainly but used a lift with another couple once. Lift was a bit old. Food was great. Staff brilliant and very helpful! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I am pleased the staff made an impact on your stay and have relayed the feedback to the team. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Excellent staff very friendly and a great location,special mention to jackie and Pamela in the restaurant very approachable

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive feedback about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the particular staff that were mentioned by name always a great accolade for them. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.