“Lift needs replaced, staff very good”
Review of Columba Hotel

Columba Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights sept 24th to sept 27th. Hotel is in an excellent lactation for exploring oban and taking ferries to the islands. We had a room with both front and rear room. There is a lot of noise if window is open in the rear rooms from street due to early morning traffic. The lift needs replaced. It is an antique lift that requires a cage door to be opened/ closed and then a secondary door closed. It works fine except its a little stiff and people do not close the doors - making the lift inoperable. There are stairs around the lift, but there are many elderly people visiting on coach/rail trips and the stairs are steep. There is a secondary flight of stairs from the dining room which are easier to climb. I got plenty of exercise in those 4 days. Breakfast was decent but felt a little tired after 4 days. Staff was without exception friendly and helpful making the stay at this quirky hotel fun. The cleaning staff was exceptional and I made a point of letting the maid know as I left.

Room Tip: Use the stairs as lift is small and good exercise
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mmask
There are newer reviews for Columba Hotel

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in the Columba as part of a package rail holiday visiting the Islands.

Our train arrived on time and it was only a short stroll to the hotel. Reception was OK but not super efficient nor was the welcome as friendly as I would have liked.

We had a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the harbour wall so the view was good. Rooms are high ceilinged so the flights of stairs between floors are quite long and the stairwell is "spiral" and steep with very tired and "frayed at the edges" carpeting! The lift is an antique, tiny device and not the most "user friendly" piece of machinery. A very tired hotel!

Dinner was a "table d'hote" menu with 3 choices for each course. When I questioned if I could choose an item from the "bar menu" as a main I was initially met with a take it or leave it response and it took a lot of argument to get my choice of meal. Food was "school dinner" quality and not always made with fresh ingredients - evidence of tinned items such as the "fruit salad"

Breakfast was fine if you like sugar laden cereals and sweet pastries. Hot food was typical buffet fare but the sausages and bacon were not of a high quality and the potato cakes were very well browned (burnt!).

Not a hotel I'd choose to visit again and I'd recommend the holiday company find an alternative although I was told it is quite expensive - not because of quality in my opinion but because of location & demand for beds in Oban!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alan E
Reviewed 17 October 2013

On our tour round Scotland we arrived for one night at the Columbas Hotel to find that the reception was virtually nil. The hotel was run down in places but our room was very clean, warm and comfortable - overlooking the Distillery.
The restaraunt had been refurbished and was lovely however the same cannot be said of Dinner. The roast Beef had obviously come out of a tin or packet and the Gateau dry and crumbly with no taste (obviously commercially bought) with two squirts of cream at the side. However the serving staff were very pleasant. The scottish breakfast was adequate.
Will not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My wife, daughter and son-in-law and I drove to Oban for a quick escape from Edinburgh. The hotel was like out of a story book with a beautiful view of the water. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our rooms were clean, and comfortable. It was nice having a pub right in the hotel. We enjoyed the breakfast that was part of our room rate. We were conveniently located to shops and restaurants, and to the ferry out to the other islands.
We give the hotel our hearty recommendation.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Matthew H, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team. Thank you once again for your feedback and Hearty recommendation and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed here for a few days whilst on a coach tour. Excellent central location for catching ferry to Mull and elsewhere. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful, rooms were well cleaned and areas that were already refurbished give an idea of how good the hotel might eventually become.Some of our party had very nice accommodation whilst others felt shortchanged with shabbyrooms which did nothing to add to the holiday experience despite having the same essential items crammed in.Very little space to move around in my own room and impossible to use the sink in the shower room and have the door shut.Must be one of the smallest shower rooms I have been in. Room at back of hotel but with good view of Craig Tower which was flood lit at night.Upon arrival the room smelt strongly of wintergreen oils and I hoped an open window would clear this. Unfortunately the smell was actually in the duvet itself and I could not sleep that night. The plus side is that next morning, staff immediately gave me a fresh duvet but the smell stayed in the small room for the whole of my stay.As the hotel was full I did not ask for a room change.
Buffet breakfast was set out in a very nice room but the quality of the ingredients was very poor. The rice crispies were stale, tasteless and hard as little balls. The toaster deserves a medal of its own for its variety of ways in burning bread. As vegetarian I found the dinner menus inadequate having pasta served every evening and the chefs alternative offerings were also based around pasta. Peach melba was a few slices of tinned peaches with a splodge of 'squirty' cream and the melon boat was one of the clumsiest I have ever seen presented. It looked like one a child might produce at nursery school. If you want heaped plates and chips served with mostly everything then you will be happy at the Columba.
A main problem with most guests was the old lift which other reviews have fully explored. For me the spiral staircase around the lift was a hazard with the old carpets being so badly worn that you could slip or trip. There is another wider straight staircase in the other part of the hotel which we discovered after two days. That had wide landings and new carpet up to the first floor but refurbishment stopped here and you had old worn slippery carpets for the rest of the way up.
The bar/ cafe by reception is a nice feature but let down by worn out and shabby seating. Reasonably priced drinks here though.
Do stay here for convenience but get a refurbished room and eat out. There are plenty of places nearby and round the bay if you take the time to look around.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished room and pay for harbour view to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your extensive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. Food related issues have been escalated up to our new Head chef who was appointed 09/10/2013. As you have read previous reviews you would be aware that we have a planned maintenance program which is due to start shortly as the season draws to an end. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We go to Oban 3-4 times a year for weekend breaks and have been staying at the Columba for the last 2-3 years and always book the same room overlooking the bay .It is one of the turret rooms with great views of the ferries coming and going.The staff at the hotel are one the reasons we keep going back especially Mathew, Shirley and Jean Marie who are very helpful.The hotel is on the pier and centrally located for the town.The buffet breakfasts are good and sometimes we have an evening meal depending whats on the menu.The room we use has been renovated and is on the third floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view on third floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MurdyMac

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team members named. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Booked 6 rooms for one night. The rooms were overall good. Some were renovated and quite attractive, while others were in need of renovation. None of the LED reading lights were working, the lights only worked when the door key was inserted in a little gizmo by the door. The people who worked there were very kind. Breakfast was ho -hum, and it was not very warm, took a long time to get coffee,

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team and Department heads will look at improving the productivity of their staff to avoid unnecessary customer delays.Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotel once again.