“Good value of the price.”
Review of Columba Hotel

Columba Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 10 April 2009

Reservation was handled professionally, the breakfast was good, dinner menu could use improvement, waitstaff courteous and efficiant, barstaff excellent. Overall we enjoyed our stay and if in the area again we will return to this establishment. Loved the room with the harbour view.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Columba Hotel

Reviewed 3 March 2009

My partner and I stayed at the Columba for the valentines weekend. Our room (on the 2nd floor) was spacious, well equiped, clean and tastfully decorated. Everything that was promised in the package was delivered to an excellent standard by warm and friendly staff. Yes the lift is a blast from the past but if you are able bodied a climb to the 2nd floor was roughly 30 steps and good exercise after all the food and drink. The stairs and halls could do with a new carpet but that didn't impact on our stay indeed I felt it added a bit of character to a very old stunning building (you don't want everything to be too modern!)
The location couldn't have been better with a 2 minute walk to local shops and coffee shops, cinema, ferry terminal and train station.
If visiting Oban during low season be aware that like any seaside town they have winter opening times especially if looking to visit the whiskey distillery.
If you are after a cosy friendly hotel with excellent customer service standards in a relaxed atmoshphere/town then you will enjoy Columba/Oban.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2009

I stayed at this hotel 28th/29th january 2009.it looked a little dated from the outside but i was pleasantly surprised by the standard and size of the room. very large bed and large flat screen wall mounted tv with all the satellite channels. there was a plentiful supply of tea/coffee/biscuits.good views of promenade and sea from large windows. the bathroom was a bit of a tight squeeze but had an excellent shower and had obviously been refurbished recently.there was a good selection of clean good quality linen.the hot buffet breakfast was very good and there was plenty of choice. the position of the hotel is excellent as it sits on the north pier where there is an excellent seafood restaurant which does good fixed price menus.at the price i paid £19 per night this hotel represented outstanding value.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 January 2009

Just returned from staying at the Columba Hotel in Oban for a night. Booked on laterooms.com - £49 for the two of us bed and breakfast.

Big old hotel in middle of Oban on the sea front. Much of the hotel has relatively recently been renovated but some of the corridor areas and stairs look tired.

Our room however has been renovated, was nicely done and had a great view over the bay.

Breakfast was self service - okay but nothing special.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2008

We had a lovely time staying at the Columba. Firstly, the room was enormous, with good quality furniture with lots of wardrobe and cupboard space. Lovely big bath with loads of hot water and the beds were really comfy. Lovely bedlinen and soft towels.

Secondly, the food...it was simply delicious. The evening meals were great...lots of variety and beautifully served up.

Third, the staff were all very friendly and could not be faulted one bit.

Overall, the price, the room, the food and the staff plus the excellent location on the harbour front made this a fantastic break away.

Well done also on the Christmas decorations, the dining room was beautiful.

We would definitely stay there again...

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 21 November 2008

Hi all, I've just stayed at the Columba Hotel for a couple of nights,on an inclusive deal and really had a nice relaxing time. I was a bit concerned when I read some of the other reviews, but found the hotel fine. Our room had been refurbished and although a bit small was lovely, with a lovely new shower/toilet. The staff were really friendly, especially the lady who ran the restaurant, who always had a smile and tried to talk to everyone, the one exception I would say would be the barman who I never saw smile once, but later I put this down to it being a very long day for him as during the day when out walking, I and my wife saw him behind the till in Iceland, so maybe it was a bit of fatigue. We found the meals to be fine and if you are a big eater then you will like it here as the portions are plentiful, to much for us, but no complaints. I would just say, if you go on the inclusive deal where you get a 15 pound per person per night drinks allowance, just keep a note of what you get as on checking out I was told I had a bar bill of 11 pounds for what? because we never went near our allowance on both nights, but I wasn't going to argue over it. All in all we enjoyed our stay in a nice,friendly hotel and would certainly go back again.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2008

where to begin??

My boyfriend had booked the columba hotel as a suprise for my birthday. We left Glasgow and travelled up by car and arrived at the hotel at 1pm.

We decided to try our luck and check in early only to find out that we were not booked in at all! we spent 30 mins listening to the receptionist saying how this has happened before and calling round all the hotels in oban to try and accomodate us, then after some stern conversations about travelling occasion etc they decided to move an ususpecting gentleman out the room and allowed us to stay there (apologies if you are the man who has been moved)

Once settled the room was "newly refurbished" which was actually really nice apart from what looked like damp on the wall. Nice tv which saved our sat night!

We then decided to book dinner as included in the price, we booked for 7pm and went to the resteraunt in the hotel only to be told there was a hen party booked in and asked to come back at 7.30 which we did.

This is the best part we arrived at 7.30 found ourselves a seat and waited 30 mins for a drink order, once ordered drinks then waited 20 mins to order food. After what seemed like a life time we then received our main meals which would have been fine if we had ate our starters already!!! once we pointed this out we then waited a further ten mins for our starter. soup of the day was really nice however once finished my soup the waiter brought my bread roll to accompany it.

meanwhile the table next to us had finished as we arrived at 7 and was not cleared for over an hour even although thewaiting staff didnt appear to be busy.

finally we had our main meal which was for my boyfriend very good however i had prawn salad which looked like it had sat there from lunchtime.... goodbye appetite. I brought this to waitress attention who simply shrugged.

first night at hotel complete shambles wasted our night we were so angry and frustrated as no one clearly takes on feedback or communicates with each other (taken 1.5hrs to be served dinner however 3 people try and take your order). that we decided not to spend my birthday out on the town but to vent some frustation writing a review to help others not have same experiance.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple