“Cant fault”
Review of Columba Hotel

Columba Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 28 December 2009

Arrived for a one night stay with friends. I booked through a third party website, and requested the new rooms with seaview and for them to be together, and we got all. Lovely spacious rooms, on the same floor just a few feet apart.

Modern and clean, and the best shower I have had in a long time, fantastic pressure. Good quality linen and soft furnishings and a flat screen TV along with beautiful views over the harbour and main street.

We were greated warmly by the receptionist Sarah. Who then told us where to go to eat (the lovely Cuan Mor) and booked a table for us and which pub to go to for drinks (the very busy Lorn) we couldnt have asked for more. A star employee !! give that girl a raise.

The breakfast was served in pleasant surroundings and was a standard buffet and perfectly respectable, with a room for two at £65 fo B&B I would not expect more. I have seen other reviews saying the common areas were bad but apart from being a but dated they were fine, I would say the rooms are the priority and you should not be put of by this. The rooms coridoors were pleasant and large on our floor 1.

All in all a great night and I will definately stay again next time I visit Oban

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,092)

Reviewed 4 December 2009

it was good, the rooms were spacious and modern and the rooms had beautiful views of oban and the bay

Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2009

We stayed here for one night and after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor requested one of the hotels refurbished rooms. I have to say we couldn't fault it, flat screen telly, nice bathroom and sea views. I do think though that if we hadn't been lucky enough to get a newer room it could have been pretty grim given that the rest of the hotel is look pretty shabby and down on it's luck. The hotel itself is in administration o understandable that no money is being spent on it at the moment.

Breakfast was rubbish, cheap, nasty with mould on the bread for toasting. Really not worth getting out of bed for. The hotel lift is a relic and we were too apprehensive to use it as it didn't look too safe or reliable so I would only recommend this hotel to older or infirm people if they have a room on the 1st floor, we were on the 3rd floor and it was quite a trek.......worth it though for our room.

On a positive though the hotel is in a brilliant location....... right in the centre of town and the woman on reception was lovely and friendly. We got this room for a great deal but wouldn't want to pay any more than what we did.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2009

I was booked in the Columba through lastminute.com at a rate that shames the other hotels in Oban. The room that I was allocated was not one of those that had been refurbished but it was large, well decorated, warm and had plenty working desk space. I see much better views at home on the Kintyre coast and have seen Oban Bay so often now that I tend to ignore it unless it is deluging the main road. If I had been a first time tourist however, I think I would probably have been impressed by the views from the two large front and one side window. The buffet breakfast was excellent and so good that I noticed a couple of other guests filling rolls for later in the day! I won't name and shame but they were with a national company.
The hotel does have some wee faults but it would be churlish and pedantic to point these out considering the price I paid. If you fancy a trip to Oban and a decent hotel in a central location, give the Columba a try, I can assure you that it is far superior to its more expensive rivals on the sea front.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Just returned nov 09 from a 5day stay, it was amazing, couldnt fault a thing, we got the best room in the hotel, thanks sarah for honouring our request. Top marks to the chef, food was brill, staff very helpful and friendly. Excellent location, right on the harbour and shops just minutes away, ample parking. .. Some of the comments dont sound so good but honestly i dont no what some ppl want so listen to me not them. I would definetly go back again.
A very satified travelstyle customer.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2009

I have stayed here on 2 occasions before and find it to be very good particulary the location.I tried to make a last minute phone booking for the 28th and 29th of october.the first 2 calls the receptionist could not tell if there were any vacancies and she (sarah) promised to phone back but on both occasions it did not happen.On the 3rd attempt i asked for the manager and i was transferred to him. After explaining the situation he said he was not at the reception but he promised to phone back within 1/2 an hour.I am still waiting ?. i ended up phoning the caledonian and enjoyed a very pleasant 2 days

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2009

after reading some comments on trip advisor .we were dreading going to this hotel how wrong could we be , our room had been upgraded with a lcd tv and a sea view evening meals were very good i had some haddock one evening and the sauce was lovely the breakfast was buffet style which i prefer you only have what you like then ,it was a full scottish breakfast with lorne sausage and black pudding if you wanted it ,as much toast as you were prepared to cook ,the rooms were very clean and the staff very helpful only downside the lift was awaiting repair we were on the first floor so it wasn,t to bad a special mention about the manager he wasn,t afraid to roll up his sleeves and help out in the dining room please stop knocking this hotel if you can,t say anything posative the best thing to do is say nowt

Stayed: September 2009