Columba Hotel
Corran House(Oban)(Great Value!)
US$80
  • Bar/Lounge
1,129 results
All reviewssea viewnorth pierpublic car parkbreakfast was buffet stylethird floorexcellent locationoban distillerysitting areacentral locationbit datedtop floorlarge roomfamily roomlovely viewdining roomferry terminalisle of mull
Reviewed 24 March 2010

my partner and i arrived on sunday 21st march. we parked outside the hotel in one of the few spaces available. one of the spaces had been filled with a car covered with a tarpalling. i can only assume that it belonged to a member of staff directly outside the main enterance. we approached the front door only to notice 3 large dirty bins right outside the enterance. not only that but the ground was covered with cigarette ends. my partner and i wondered what we had let ourselves in for.

we entered the reception to be not so much greeted but acknowlaged by a rather bored looking staff member. she informed us we would be staying in room 214( a rather charming room i thought) NOT! and that breakfast finished at 9.30am. there was no mention of a lift but we were directed to the stairs and told to take notice of where breakfast would be served. we made our way to our room passing the breakfast area as we went. it looked like someone had transplanted the cupboards and work surfaces from a 70s council flat and stuck them in the columba dining room. I KID YOU NOT!
a shiver ran down my spine when i thought what horrors were waiting for us in room 214.

we got to our room passing the lovely curtains on each landing on the way and the framed painting on the landing floor and noticed there was a 2 inch gap under our door. we entered the room fearing the worst. to be fare it didnt look that bad at first. then as we tried to unpack and i noticed the flat pack wardrobe was leaning to one side because it had not been put together correctly. as i sat on a rock cunningly disguised as a bed my partner opened the bathroom door to reveal the 70s bathroom i can only pressume came from the same council flat as the breakfast areas cupboards.

my partner and i agreed we should eat somewhere else for dinner so we found a nice , quiet and rather trendy place not far from the hotel. after dinner we found the local cinema which was tiny (26 seats) but this was a better option than going back to our room. finally we slowly made our way back to our room with the rock hard bed for what turned out to be a very long , sleepless and uncomfortable night.

in the morning we got ready as quickly as possible. then made our way past the lovely cutains and the painting on the landing floor to the dining area for breakfast. we were greeted by a nice polite girl with a smile at the bottom of the stairs. once we gave her our room number she showed us to our table and asked if we would like tea or coffee then asked us to help ourselves to the breakfast buffet.

after what we had seen the previous day my expectations were very low. the food on offer was poor at best. the potato scones were edible but apart from that everything else was either cold , dried out or my personal favourite the sausage that is so burnt on one side that you cant cut through it.

we went back to our room and packed as quickly as possible. then made our way to the reception area to check out. we got to the reception to see the bored girl from the day before was sitting at the desk. we informed her we were checking out. she looked up and took the room key and went back to what she was doing. as we left we walked through the cigarette end , past the filthy bins and the car under the tarpalling. as we climbed into our car i took one last look at the monster that is the columba hotel.only to see members of their staff smoking and flinging their cigarette ends on the ground right outside the doors of the reception.

there are only 3 good things about the columba hotel
1) the nice polite girl who greeted us at breakfast. (sorry i did not ask your name)
2) always hot water
3) leaving the columba hotel

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank stephenf44
manager_columba, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2010

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your constructive and not so positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts, especially regarding areas that could be improved upon to improve the quality of service or the product we are offering.

We have taken on board your feedback and sincerely apologies that on this occasion we did not deliver the services or customer experience we would care for our guests to receive. I have now addressed many of the points highlighted, some however, were out with my control but I appreciate you bringing these to my attention.

Once again I apologies unreservedly for the shortfall in our usually high level of customer service on this occasion.

Reviewed 10 March 2010

stayed here for 2 nights at the weekend.

had 3 rooms, they were all nice - one had quite an old bathroom but rooms were modern and clean.

staff were all really nice and couldn't have done more to help.

breakfast was very good. lots of choice, very warm.

stayed in the hotel for dinner one night. menu was very exensive. the service was very good. there were a few guests complaining about the length of time they waited for food and then one (rude) couple who stormed out as theirs was cold. .... but our food was nice and we didn't wait long at all.

there is also a bar that sells bar food all day. prices good for a hotel. the toilets at the bar are quite stinky!

the hotel is really central. less than 5 mins walk to anywhere you would like to go.

for the price we paid, it was well worth it and i would return again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family

Many thanks for your feedback, I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay and I have passed your kind words onto the team.

We have recently reviewed all our menus and food offering and our new Chef has introduced some fantastic fresh local food and reprised our menu’s to make them great value for money.

We hope to finish the refurbishment to the hotel shortly, unfortunately the toilets were last on the list to do.

We look forward to welcoming you back so you can enjoy our new menus.

Reviewed 8 March 2010

I spent New Year and a few days at this Hotel with my partner and despite the Hotel being in receivership found it to be excellent value for money. Had to subsequently re-visit Oban on business a few weeks later and called to get a rate for workmen, I was delighted at the price quoted and the quality of the room my work colleague and I were allocated. If ever a Hotel deserved to succed it is this one mainly due to the efforts of its staff.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team. We do take customer feedback very seriously and welcome the feedback of both positive and negative points once again thank you for taking the time to post your comment..

Reviewed 1 March 2010

Stayed here for 1 night in February and booked direct with hotel via their website. Git an incredible rate of £35 for double room including breakfast. Our room had a view of thew car park and the sea and Kerrera beyond. The room itself was in good order. The only gripe I would have would be that the bathroom was carpeted! I just couldn't have walked into the bathroom bare foot as who know's who's bodily fluids I may have been walking on! The towels were also very thin - and not very plentiful. Was such a shame as the bathroom was indeed one of the largest I have ever been in. Wasn't up early enough for breakfast - so cannot comment, but the smell of breakfast was brilliant when I came down to check out. Superb value for money if you can get a good rate.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts which I have taken the opportunity to relay to my team. We do take customer feedback very seriously and welcome the feedback of both positive and negative points. We are now in the process of upgrading our linen and towels to new stock and will very soon have a much better of towels including luxurious large fluffy bath sheets for our customers to enjoy.

Regretfully, the completion of the few remaining bedrooms and bathrooms scheduled for refurbishment has been slightly delayed, however, we hope to get this back on track soon so that all our bathrooms are of a superior standard. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotels once again.

Reviewed 22 February 2010

Lovely hotel with wonderful reception staff. As we entered the hotel we was greated by bagpipes playing in the bar area. Our company (expedia) had booked a double instead of a twin, but the staff swiftly and kindly exchanged and corrected the mistake. We travelled at night so the next morning we woke to snow covered mountains and sea which was lovely over breakfast. The breakfast could have been problematic as we are vegetarians and was worried about not being able to eat as the breakfast was a buffet and the guests had shared the tongs dropping meat in the veggie food. The staff very kindly cooked us seperate food and didn't seemed offended or annoyed with having to do so. The bedrooms are nice and comfy, a little warm but we slept well and other guests did not disturb us, the only shame was the lift which did not stop on our floor as it was broken, but not too much of a deal for us as we are quite fit so not too problematic. Lovely stay and Oban is a lovely town with decent shops and beautiful veiws of sea and mountains. Wonderful stay, so would recommend.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family