“Friendly well, situated hotel”
Review of Columba Hotel

Columba Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Derby
“Friendly well, situated hotel”
Reviewed 30 April 2010

We stayed here for four nights, with a coach party from the Midlands. We had previously read some reviews of this hotel but decided to go with an open mind, and were very pleasantly surprised. We found all the staff to be very helpful and friendly despite the hotel's group owners being in receivership at the time.

The hotel is well, located right next to the harbour with beautiful views from our very nice refurbished room (302) which was on the top floor. The TV was a 32" wall mounted Samsung with excellent reception and lots of channels to choose from, better than some of the more expensive hotels we have stayed at previously

The lift is small and antiquated but being reasonably fit and in our mid 50's we were happy to use the stairs, rather than waiting for the lift.

The food choice and quality in the restaurant was excellent and plentyful. We felt that with two Coach trips staying here, the level of service was outstanding. The lounge bar area was on the small side for the numbers of people staying here.

In summary we had a wonderful relaxing time with some great companions at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
manager_columba, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. Please accept my apologies with regard to the lift we are looking at solutions to replace it as soon as possible.

Matthew Hamer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Scotland
Reviewed 27 April 2010

We booked one night in the Columba Hotel but once there we booked for a second night. The entrance is very shabby and the reception area quite bleak. We were allocated a room on the second floor and advised that the lift wouldn't stop there, so my husband took the lift to the third floor with the suitcases and walked back down to the second (I refused to use the lift when I saw how tiny and antiquated it was).

The decor of the bedroom was surprisingly modern, though the mattress on the bed had seen better days. The bedroom and the en suite bathroom were clean. The breakfast was perfectly good and all the staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful. We did not have our evening meals in the hotel.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team. We do take customer feedback very seriously and welcome the feedback of both positive and negative points. Regretfully, the completion of the ground floor areas and lift scheduled for refurbishment has been slightly delayed, however, we hope to get this back on track soon. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotels once again.

General Manage
Burntwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Firstly be aware that this establishment is trading in receiveship. The staff therefore are working under the sword of damocles and pretty much put on a brave face. Many of them are of eastern european descent and can be hard to understand but are none the less very pleasant. Just be aware thet the hotel is trading in very difficult circumstances and it does show. In its favour the location right on the harbour is spot on although the whole of Oban is pretty run down these days and has certainly gone downhill in the 20 years since I was last there. The council responsible really need to spend some money or attract some investment before it is totally run down. Shame really, it used to be such a great place. Make sure you ask for a refurbished room and are fit to use the stairs as the lift was not working during our stay and I doubt it will be repaired in the current circumstances.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Oban hotels

North Wales
Reviewed 27 March 2010

We have just returned home after a four night stay in the Columba hotel. It was spotlessly clean, very spacious room and bathroom. The food was excellent and the staff and management were very friendly and always there for you. The only citicism I could put forward was the lift was a tad small but other than that it was excellent, and believe me I can be a bit fussy!

• Stayed March 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts. I have taken the opportunity to relay the feedback to the team. We do take customer feedback very seriously and welcome the feedback of both positive and negative points once again thank you for taking the time to post your comment..

General Manage
glasgow
Reviewed 24 March 2010

my partner and i arrived on sunday 21st march. we parked outside the hotel in one of the few spaces available. one of the spaces had been filled with a car covered with a tarpalling. i can only assume that it belonged to a member of staff directly outside the main enterance. we approached the front door only to notice 3 large dirty bins right outside the enterance. not only that but the ground was covered with cigarette ends. my partner and i wondered what we had let ourselves in for.

we entered the reception to be not so much greeted but acknowlaged by a rather bored looking staff member. she informed us we would be staying in room 214( a rather charming room i thought) NOT! and that breakfast finished at 9.30am. there was no mention of a lift but we were directed to the stairs and told to take notice of where breakfast would be served. we made our way to our room passing the breakfast area as we went. it looked like someone had transplanted the cupboards and work surfaces from a 70s council flat and stuck them in the columba dining room. I KID YOU NOT!
a shiver ran down my spine when i thought what horrors were waiting for us in room 214.

we got to our room passing the lovely curtains on each landing on the way and the framed painting on the landing floor and noticed there was a 2 inch gap under our door. we entered the room fearing the worst. to be fare it didnt look that bad at first. then as we tried to unpack and i noticed the flat pack wardrobe was leaning to one side because it had not been put together correctly. as i sat on a rock cunningly disguised as a bed my partner opened the bathroom door to reveal the 70s bathroom i can only pressume came from the same council flat as the breakfast areas cupboards.

my partner and i agreed we should eat somewhere else for dinner so we found a nice , quiet and rather trendy place not far from the hotel. after dinner we found the local cinema which was tiny (26 seats) but this was a better option than going back to our room. finally we slowly made our way back to our room with the rock hard bed for what turned out to be a very long , sleepless and uncomfortable night.

in the morning we got ready as quickly as possible. then made our way past the lovely cutains and the painting on the landing floor to the dining area for breakfast. we were greeted by a nice polite girl with a smile at the bottom of the stairs. once we gave her our room number she showed us to our table and asked if we would like tea or coffee then asked us to help ourselves to the breakfast buffet.

after what we had seen the previous day my expectations were very low. the food on offer was poor at best. the potato scones were edible but apart from that everything else was either cold , dried out or my personal favourite the sausage that is so burnt on one side that you cant cut through it.

we went back to our room and packed as quickly as possible. then made our way to the reception area to check out. we got to the reception to see the bored girl from the day before was sitting at the desk. we informed her we were checking out. she looked up and took the room key and went back to what she was doing. as we left we walked through the cigarette end , past the filthy bins and the car under the tarpalling. as we climbed into our car i took one last look at the monster that is the columba hotel.only to see members of their staff smoking and flinging their cigarette ends on the ground right outside the doors of the reception.

there are only 3 good things about the columba hotel
1) the nice polite girl who greeted us at breakfast. (sorry i did not ask your name)
2) always hot water
3) leaving the columba hotel

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank stephenf44
manager_columba, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2010
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your constructive and not so positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts, especially regarding areas that could be improved upon to improve the quality of service or the product we are offering.

We have taken on board your feedback and sincerely apologies that on this occasion we did not deliver the services or customer experience we would care for our guests to receive. I have now addressed many of the points highlighted, some however, were out with my control but I appreciate you bringing these to my attention.

Once again I apologies unreservedly for the shortfall in our usually high level of customer service on this occasion.

glasgow
Reviewed 10 March 2010

stayed here for 2 nights at the weekend.

had 3 rooms, they were all nice - one had quite an old bathroom but rooms were modern and clean.

staff were all really nice and couldn't have done more to help.

breakfast was very good. lots of choice, very warm.

stayed in the hotel for dinner one night. menu was very exensive. the service was very good. there were a few guests complaining about the length of time they waited for food and then one (rude) couple who stormed out as theirs was cold. .... but our food was nice and we didn't wait long at all.

there is also a bar that sells bar food all day. prices good for a hotel. the toilets at the bar are quite stinky!

the hotel is really central. less than 5 mins walk to anywhere you would like to go.

for the price we paid, it was well worth it and i would return again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Many thanks for your feedback, I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay and I have passed your kind words onto the team.

We have recently reviewed all our menus and food offering and our new Chef has introduced some fantastic fresh local food and reprised our menu’s to make them great value for money.

We hope to finish the refurbishment to the hotel shortly, unfortunately the toilets were last on the list to do.

We look forward to welcoming you back so you can enjoy our new menus.

Scotland
Reviewed 8 March 2010

I spent New Year and a few days at this Hotel with my partner and despite the Hotel being in receivership found it to be excellent value for money. Had to subsequently re-visit Oban on business a few weeks later and called to get a rate for workmen, I was delighted at the price quoted and the quality of the room my work colleague and I were allocated. If ever a Hotel deserved to succed it is this one mainly due to the efforts of its staff.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business