“The couple who own the hotel are very nice but the whole place needs a complete overhaul.”
Review of Lancaster

Lancaster
Ranked #84 of 93 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Just back from a two night break here. I hate writing negative reports about places as I feel people are very quick to complain but never take time to compliment, so I will start with the good points. The hotel is situated in a great spot with fantastic views over the bay and out to sea, I could've sat in the cosy wee lounge area just admiring the view all day. The owner was friendly but the lady behind reception was the most unpleasant, And unaccommodating person I have ever met; she was busy and under pressure so I made allowances for this, but later on she was downright rude and nasty when we asked for a drink at the bar at 11.40 on Friday night even though the bar was supposed to be open till twelve,. She just switched light off and said 'we're shut!'. The following night it was the owners wife who greeted us on our return and couldn't have been nicer, even though we weren't buying anything she took time to chat and ask how our evening had been. All this aside, I have to say that the whole of the hotel is in dire need of a complete overhaul. The decor and furnishings are dated and tired looking with wallpaper peeling and tape holding things together. The beds were very hard and the walls so thin we could hear every movement from room next door. The staff who served breakfast were very helpful and friendly and the dining room had the same beautiful views as the lounge. I hope the owners work on some of the feedback they receive as this hotel could really be a wee smasher if some investment was made to spruce it up.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I don't know how the rooms for couples are - but my single room is quite an adventure... Single travellers are often punished by giving the shabbiest rooms... My room is so small, if I want to open my luggage, I have to move the tiny "table". The WC is so uneven, that even you haven't drunk beer or Whisky you feel drousy. I don't know, if they know the use of a vacuum cleaner..?? Choose this Hotel only, if there really no other place.I cannot recommend it. But one good Thing I have to say: The front staff is friendly. The breakfast staff is very slow....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Oban hotels

Greenock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Stayed 1 night and only because we had nowhere else to stay or I would have left right away. The rooms are furnished in ancient beds with stains on the mattress and duvet. The wardrobes are rotten and had to keep our clothes in the cases and the smell in my bed was so bad I couldn't sleep. The walk to my room was up and down stairs and along corridors with each part of the hotel getting worse and worse. Couldn't wait to get home and have a shower to wash the smell out of my skin and clothes. 1 single room and 1 double room for £114. Wish I had slept in the car. Take note that dogs are allowed in the hotel rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kathleen726
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Booked into room 28 for one night , stayed. 30 minutes , room was dirty and dated , en suite a joke , sink was between bed and window , place smelt musty and old. Cramped room and tv didn't,t work. £74 - spoiled our holiday.

Room Tip: Avoid room28 ! ! !
Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

location perfect good for kids as thier is a pool and games room acc okay but outdated

food average but in town plenty of places to eat
staff very helpful parking could be better break fast on side plate so you dont get to much

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dingwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

As the title suggests.Not spectacular but has the three C's. The staff are friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good.
The furnishings are a bit dated and dusty but the overall appearance does not detract from the service and general comfort.
Bedroom television reception poor...but watchable. The town centre is minutes away by car.
I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Room 8 has a nice sea view across Oban Bay..not panoramic, the sea facing window is relatively small...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ian909
Amsterdam
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Was booked in for two nights but so disappointed with room only stayed one. Very cramped,TV not working and dingy and dusty. The mattress was very hard and EVERY noise from room next door was audible.
The staff were fine and breakfast reasonable.

Room Tip: Only seen room 28 so could'nt comment on other rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple