“They market the place better than they deliver”
Review of Oban Bay Hotel

Oban Bay Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I took a short trip to this hotel in November. The hotel sounds fantastic, but fails to deliver on the promise.

The rooms are clean and tidy, but the bar and restaurant really let the place down. I was pretty annoyed that if I wanted to upgrade my dinner to include a steak, I had to pay an additional £15 over and above the money that had been allocated as part of our dinner bed and breakfast deal. That seemed over the top. Dinner was very rushed with much of it prepared beforehand.

The Spa seemed like I expected - a room with a hot tub. Not a proper spa.

The bar serves some pretty poor wine and had to be persuaded to sell us their better quality stuff, saved for the dining room.

If you park in their car park, be ready to pay £5 for the privilege. This wasn't made clear to us at check in which was a bit of a blow as off street parking seemed to be plentiful.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank GeographicChaos

Reviewed 15 November 2011

We booked a one night bed & breakfast with evening meal + wine via 5pm. The meal was very pleasing and plentyful with excellent service. The room was comfortable. A small charge was made for car-parking. Breakfast was excellent. The Cost of the package was very reasonable. The hotel is situated on the coastal front.
What more do you want?

Room Tip: be polite to the receptionist...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
DarrellWilliams, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us; . I do hope that you will visit us again soon Kind regards... Darrell Williams

Reviewed 15 November 2011

Upgraded to a sea view room on request - in fact a choice of 2. Friendly and efficient staff. great location, good food - a lovely warm Hotel and would return there.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your fantastic review, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will certainly pass on your great comments on to the team Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Oban in the very near future Kind regards Darrell Williams

Reviewed 13 November 2011

My partner and I booked a night through Groupon and we got treated just like fully paying customers. The receptionist was very pleasant and pretty witty actually. The room was clean and warm, bed comfortable, in fact, I can't fault it apart from not having any toiletries, just a shampoo and a wee soap. No shower gel or conditioner and no facial or body cream...
The dinner was a bit hit and miss; it started off really well with our choice of cullen skink and chicken liver pate which we ordered from the a la carte menu for a supplement of about £3.50 each. Both the cullen skink and pate were the best we've ever had!! However, for our mains we picked braised beef from the set menu which was free with our Groupon offer and oh dear oh dear, it took me right back to my times in the school canteen! Not the best. It also came within 10 seconds of us finishing the starters (?!) and no sorbet to clean my palate as promised. The restaurant staff didn't even ask us whether we're enjoying the meals or if everything was ok. It felt a little bit like they are there just to do the job but don't actually enjoy it. They didn't chat to the customers which didn't contribute to making them feel comfortable and relaxed. I would definitely prefer more friendly waiting staff...
However, the spa facilities....! The hot tub (placed outside) was incredibly relaxing, there's really something satisfying about sitting outside in freezing cold but being warm in a tub full of hot bubbling water! And the views of the bay are simply stunning. Also what I highly recommend is the incredible massaging chair (same room as the entrance to the hot tub). It massages every single muscle in your body - your neck, back, arms, legs, feet and even bum! It's fantastic!! It takes a wee while to work out the settings but keep trying, it's well worth it! Sadly we didn't manage to use any other spa facilities as we only stayed for one night.
The hotel bar is open till very late (maybe till 2 or 3 am? - we stayed till half 1 and they said they were staying open for another hour or so) and the prices are very reasonable. You can also take drinks to your room, which was a nice surprise.
The location is pretty good too, only about 10 min walk to the centre of town. There's a free parking very close to the hotel, less than a minute walk.
All in all, I would recommend this hotel. Yes, it does smell a little when you walk in, as per another review, but you forget all about it once you explore the hotel and find your clean, warm room and the mighty massaging chair!

1  Thank theweetraveller

Thank you for your fantastic review, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will certainly pass on your great comments on to the staff, Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Oban in the very near future Kind regards Darrell Williams

Reviewed 13 November 2011

My Wife and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at this Hotel which included Breakfast and evening meal. I cannot believe all the adverse comments made by some fools on this site. The food was excellent, the Staff were all polite, one reviewer has put on here that the service was too fast !! Personally I would rather have my meals served in the efficient manner that the staff here excel in rather than sit about waiting for ages, neither of us felt rushed at meal times. As for the staff not asking if everything was ok, which was posted by yet another "Difficult to please" reviewer, they must have been at a different Hotel from us, the Staff in the Reception, Bar and Restaurant were nothing short of exceptional, every time we encountered them they were really friendly, smiling and ALWAYS asked us if we were ok and enjoying ourselves. The waiting staff were polite and efficient, nothing wastoo much trouble for them, they went out of their way to make sure all our requirements were met, particularily the tall slim young waiter who had us in stitches with his humour, unfortunately he was only on duty on our first night (Monday) and the wee guy who has just moved from the Inverary Hotel was one of the best, pleasant, polite waiters I have ever encountered anywhere in the world. Finally the Hotel was spotless right down to gleaming cutlery, the comment on the "Mouldy" Hot Tub is just ridiculous, wood does tend to look like that when it has water in it 24/7........if this bothers you it isa personal issue.....WE WILL BE BACK

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your fantastic review, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will certainly pass on your great comments on,Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Oban in the very near future Kind regards Darrell Williams

Reviewed 11 November 2011

Travelled by rail to Oban and enjoyed a very pleasant 1 night stay at The Oban Bay Hotel. Booked through 5PM but the hotel also does online deals. Room was very comfortable and clean, food was good, bar prices reasonable for a hotel and the staff were all pleasant and helpful. Worth it for the view from the front lounge alone and all in all a very relaxing break.

Room Tip: Top floor sea view
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We have used Crerar Hotels offers before, including this one, for quite a few short breaks and have always found them to be good value, providing you are not expecting 5 star luxury and Michelin food. There are usually some minor glitches and the odd creak in the old hotel properties are to be expected. However, with the right attitude of mind, you can have a great time for superb value.

This last trip to the Oban Bay, when we reflected on it on our way back home, was quite exceptional. The value was eyewateringly good! (Is eyewateringly a word?...if not, it should be)

The hotel is well situated on the front promenade a smart 8 minute walk from town with great views across Oban Bay (the clue is in the name). There is free on street car parking about 150m away and you can drop and lift in front of the hotel. If you book a posh room you get a hotel car park space or you can pay £5. Park on the street.

The Oban Bay is really quite well presented in a traditional muted tartan, mahogany wood and leather armchair sort of way. It is what you would expect of a 4 star Oban hotel with a few quite clever touches. Our room was compact, but well fitted out with comfortable beds, quality furnishings and a spotless ensuite. The LCD tv worked fine with a decent choice of freeview channels. We had a partial sea view which was a bonus. Corridors show some signs of wear, but I was in The Belfry the other week and theirs were worse!

Friendly staff, just the right amount of chat. Some Scottish, some Eastern European (who are rapidly acquiring Scottish accents). All very helpful and professional.

Dinner, if you are on an inclusive rate, is a production line exercise, but very well executed. Ingredients were of a high quality, well cooked and well presented, I have had a couple of Crerar Hotel dinners that missed the mark, but on both nights this time they were enjoyable simple meals. We had complimentary wine on both nights as part of the deal...one might expect the cheapest wine available, but on both nights a really very nice selection was presented. On their wine list at £17.95 and supermarket £8-£9 value I would reckon.

Breakfast is also really good, superb sausages and haggis (!). Dry cured bacon. Lady Anne had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs , nice salmon. Decent coffee. It is not a buffet, probably to deter those guests who hoover and stash breakfast items to provide their all day sustenance!

Drinks in the bar are a tad expensive, so do not throw a wild party there. However fine for a pre-prandial tipple.

Did not use the Spa, I find these things a bit of a "must-have" bolt on feature and often quite disappointing.

So why so many varying reviews? Well, I think the reason is that this hotel and this group walks a tightrope of pricing policy. They can - and do - attract premium business for which they charge the appropriate rate. But they cannot support the infrastructure that premium business requires on a 40% occupancy (or whatever) rate. Also, the hotel looks and feels better when close to full. So they have a "select and loyal" database of customers to whom they make regular email offers at "eyewateringly good" prices. I will not go into price details here, but I did use my wee card calculator at dinner and reckon that if we had just turned up at the hotel and paid the displayed room rate, dinner and breakfast as priced and the wine we would have been over £400 MORE for 2 nights....and we were not paying £400 in total, not by a long way. If you were paying top dollar, it would not seem a good experience and you would be right to submit a poor review. But for the rest of us...

So, should you be fortunate enough to receive what seems an unbelievable offer at The Oban Bay, just believe...and enjoy.

Room Tip: Ask for any kind of sea view
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oban
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
Muthu Alexandra Hotel
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#10 of 13 in Oban

Been to Oban Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!