“Good stay”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Oban
CoB
“Good stay”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I found this hotel very welcoming with a very quick ckeck-in.my room was very suitable of a one night stay, it was very clean,however the bathroom was very cold. The only drawback was the meal timimgs,working on the night of my stay evening meal started to late, therefore I eat in town. Havivg to catch the first train in the morning (0811hrs) I had to miss breakfast as it starts too late. Note: If traveling by car - book your car parking space with the hotel before hand as parking is very limited.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
Renfrew, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We stayed here on the 10th and 11th Feb 2013 . Our room was perfectly nice and although it was at the back of the hotel we had a partial sea view through , admittedly , a fairly small window . The quality of food and service at both breakfast and dinner was excellent - as was the service from all the staff we dealt with . The sea-facing conservatory is outstanding , especially when candle-lit at night , as is the open fire in the lounge beside reception . Although we were here through a Groupon deal we would definitely consider a return - preferably in a front room next time . Next time I will definitely challenge sous chef Andy and patter merchant John to a game of pool !

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a three night break at Oban Bay Hotel and Spa . Dissapointed from the onset to be allocated room number 133 . This is not the room you want to be in or room 131 . Given it was on the 1st floor , we thought we would be lucky and have a good view as the booking site said , best room allocated . The room was very stuffy, we opened the window , but the noise from the kitchen fan and food smells were overpowering . I would not like to stay in this room in the height of summer. We heard the bang bang from the corridor fire doors the whole time we were there, not quite the peaceful stay we had , last visit . The door closers need to be adjusted or replaced . I thought I would have some treatments but looking at the spa price list it was far to expensive . So we go to the bar I ask if they sell a nice german wine or a sweet white wine , yes we do , as I am a little fussy . I will have a small glass please , can you pour me a little to try ??????. No sorry we only sell wine by the bottle , so that was that . No massage , no drink, next place the hot tub . I was in it last stay it was good fun . I open the door and have a look then I see the colour of the loungers you use before or after the hot tub , or shower, these were disgusting I wouldnt even stand on them let alone lie . on them . They are badly in need of recovering or replaced . So I changed my mind, I did not use the hot tub either . Last night the main course for our stay on set menu was whole trout or lamb or pasta with a blue cheese sauce . I do not eat any of these items , the head waiter to be fair asked me if I liked chicken, ??? he did want me to eat something . The chicken he brought me was lovely , food is excellent at this hotel . Service is also excellent ,just be vary of room 131 and 133 . Would I go back to this hotel , yes , it would depend on room allocation .

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 131 and 133 and rooms without a view.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julieryan_12
Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

Nice location, however bed was brick hard and room tiny. Also the shower was very small and not very powerful. Had dinner on the first night which was not very good, food hot held and dessert was horrible. There is much better restaurants in the centre which are cheap and cheerful. The hot tub was the only main attraction, and was fun sitting out in the rain.

• Stayed January 2013
Glasgow
Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

Just back from 2 day break at hotel and not disappointed. Hotel is categorised as 3 star which I think is fair however the staff at reception and in the restaurant are of a higher rating. The restaurant is run efficiently and with good humour from the staff. The reception staff were able to sort out my mistake regarding the booking with diplomacy and efficiency. Not always the case with other hotels.

With full views of the harbour from the lounge area which added to the relaxing atmosphere of the hotel. I would definately recommend a break of a few days.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scotslady2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2013

nice hotel and lovely staff, very friendly and helpfull. we stayed in the lismore suite which was a good room apart from the very draughty windows and when we were there the weather was very wet and wild. but apart from that it was a good stay and we did enjoy it. the meals were good to.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
lanarkshire
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Spent 2 nights at the Oban bay where the staff are very helpful and friendly. We asked for a sea facing room and did get it which was a lovely view.Hotel is in a great location - 5 to 10 min walk along the sea to the town centre. Room is of decent standard for a 3* hotel with nice touches ie DVD player, good shower gel products etc, however room was very cold with draughty windows.
We were on a Easybreaks DBB deal and the table d'ote menu was very good. While the sauna/ steam room are small but good, the changing facilities are poor, however a must is the outside hot tub! - fab

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank weekender1971
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oban
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
#1 of 13 in Oban
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#9 of 13 in Oban

Been to Oban Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!