“Helpful”
Review of Oban Bay Hotel

Oban Bay Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our arrival was a bit complicated. We booked a Scotland Tour with DFDS Seaways but someone forgot to book the Hotel for us. The girl at the desk was very helpful and it was no problem for her, to give us a room for two nights. So everything was ok and with her help, we found a save place for our classic MGB. Parking is very limited. In the evening we had a 5 course dinner at the Restaurant which was perfectly cooked and an extremely kind, well organized and fast service. With the delicious full Scottish Breakfast in the morning we made our day. The room was a bit basic but clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_ObanBay, Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass your kind comments on to our team and hope we can welcome you back to the Oban Bay Hotel in the hear future.

Sh

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We spent two day in Oban to visit some of the local islands and we thought we might have been in a episode of Faulty Towers. The staff was surly, the food was less than desirable and the rooms were tiny and very outdated. I will say that the rooms were clean, but this hotel is in desperate need of some updating.

My room overlooked the service entrance and in order to keep the room at a reasonable temperature, I opened the window and had to leave the curtains open to allow the air to come in. Unfortunately, this meant that the very bright security lamp in the service area shone in my room for most of the night....

I will not stay there again, nor will I recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a water view so that when you open your window, you get some breeze.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Blair W

I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us in the Oban Bay Hotel. We do strive to ensure all our guests have a enjoyable and comfortable stay, with this in mind, I would appreciate if you would call the hotel to discuss the points you raised in more detail.

In the meatime, thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Sh

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Arrived on the 10th of June for 3 nights through Classic Britain's website, we were on 2 nights dinner bed and breakfast and 1night bed and breakfast, made to feel very welcome on arrival, Mary on reception was a mine of information for getting about. We stayed in the Crerrer suite, it was stunning, the views across the bay were amazing. All the staff are very pleasant and helpful, the meals were lovely and the service was excellent, the location of the hotel is slightly off the main town and is about a 5 minute walk to the biz, this was ideal as there is no noise and very little traffic. All in all a perfect getaway, would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice break and wanting to visit the islands.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I will pass on your kind comments to our team. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope I can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago for 2 nights on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. By the time we eventually arrived (due to a crash and backed up traffic on both (!) routes to Oban) we were quite tired and very hungry. The kitchen had thankfully stayed open for us (and other stuck guests) and provided us with a glorious 6 course taster meal. Every course was scrumptious, not too filling, but definitely enough!

Our hotel room was lovely, a very comfortable bed and good facilities. The view wasn't that wonderful from the room, but then again we didn't ask - nor pay - for a sea facing room.

Our breakfast on the first morning was a hearty full Scottish, a few pieces missing from what I'd like to have at home, but still enough to kick start your day! My next morning's breakfast was slightly less (due to a hangover) but still delicious.

The location of the hotel itself is wonderful, glorious views over the water and close enough to town for a lovely wee saunter along the waterfront to get into it.

I didn't use the hot tub or spa facilities, but I definitely will do the next time I go back.

The staff are very warm, welcoming and helpful. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I will pass your kind comments on to the team. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope I can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel last month for 3nights on a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast basis. Really great location on the sea-front. Great welcome by hotel staff. Our room was spotless as was any place we went to in hotel. The dining room was well laid out and staffed with young ,well presented and very informative staff . Food was excellent, top marks to the chef and his assistants. The management and all of the staff are extremely professional and very welcoming, they went out of their way to make sure everything was just perfect and nothing was ever too much trouble. We would like to say a Huge thank you to everyone at the hotel for a fantastic holiday and are looking forward to returning on the 17th June !

M and D , Kilmacolm

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M_and_D-Kilmacolm

Thank you for your kind comments, I look forward to welcoming you back in a few days.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Spent 2,nights here on DBB rate and although enjoyable I was not overwhelmed. Bathroom was very small and in need of refurbishment, long treck through corridors to reach our room. Staff were all extremely friendly and hard working. Breakfast was not buffet style which I prefer and the food was very tasty but our evening meal was a bit disappointing, we were advised that our meal was the 6 course taster and if we decided to order from the A la carte menu we had to pay a supliment for each course which in my opinion made it an expensive meal. We stuck with the taster menu but were disappointed with the deserts on both evenings. I would stay again but on a B&B rate, unless guests had the choice to order from the other menu with a set allowance per guest .

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I am so sorry you were dissappointed with your meal, the kitchen team do strive to ensure quality at all times. I thank you for your comments on the pricing of our menus, this will be considered at the next review.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My traveling companion and I arrived after a long arduous drive from Glasgow and a great tasting tour at the Oban distillery. We were ready to settle in but when we arrived the twin bedded room we had reserved was not available but we were immediately offered two single rooms for the same price as the one twin. That's great customer service.

After settling into our rooms we had drinks on the small outdoor patio followed by an excellent dinner in the restaurant.

The single room, while quite small was very adequate with a modernized bath. The only challenge was getting to the room. Many steps, hallways, more steps until finally arriving at the lift. Then down and around winding hallways. If one is in any way physically challenged, he/should check carefully before hand about room accessibility.

The next morning there was a nice classic breakfast offered which we greatly enjoyed.

The only other matter than accessibility one should be aware of is parking. This is a fair sized hotel with only 6-7 on site parking spaces. One has to park on the road or "behind the cathedral."

Finally, the location is great. Across the road from the sea which has a nice walkway leading to the high street just a few blocks away.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it was truly appreciated. I will pass your kind comments on to the team. I hope I can welcome you back to the Oban Bay Hotel in the near future.

Warms Regards
SH

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oban
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
Muthu Alexandra Hotel
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#10 of 13 in Oban

Been to Oban Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!