“Great hotel - I will be back!”
Review of Oban Bay Hotel

Oban Bay Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Oban
kenny3
“Great hotel - I will be back!”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed for two nights in August, travelling alone and had a great stay at the Oban Bay Hotel. The room was comfortable with a view of the bay. All in all this was a wonderful hotel, friendly and attentive staff, excellent food, what more could anyone want?!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank kenny3
Manager_ObanBay, Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it was truly appreciated. I will pass your kind comments on to the team and look forward to welcoming you to the Oban Bay hotel in the future.

SH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel last week for a 3 night break booked through Classic Britain. Good price for 2 nights DBB and 1 night BB. I booked a sea view room as it was our anniversary and we are retired and having read the previous reviews didn't want to regret our stay or room. I am glad we did this as we had a room on the first floor which we were happy with, comfortable bed and wonderful views over the bay. Room had everything we needed, tea/coffee making tray, hair dryer, TV, DVD player.

Would fully agree with other reviews, this hotel is in serious need of some TLC. The walls and décor up to the first floor in a bad state of repair and very creaky stairs. Some of the furniture in the lounge and sun lounge is in serious need of refurbish or renew. The decking and tables look as if they have never been treated, which is sad as we enjoyed sitting in the sun.

However this did not detract in any way from our lovely 3 night break. We really enjoyed the 6 course taster dinner the first night and the second night we had the main course choice from the ala cart menu and paid the reduced supplementary charge. Only complaint my husband had was that mussels were off the menu the two nights he wanted them especially when there appeared to be an abundance in the restaurants etc in the town. The dining room staff were very friendly and efficient and couldn't do enough to help.
The hotel is about a 15/20minute walk from the town centre and is in an excellent location. We were lucky and had good weather which made it all better.

We booked the 3 Isles Tour which we also enjoyed though its a long day, 10 hours. We visited Mull, Staffa and Iona and we would love to visit Mull and Iona again.
One thing I couldn't understand, I phoned the hotel prior to booking the tour to enquire about the Tour Operators and who I should contact. I was given a name but was unable to find it on the internet. Considering West Coast Tours appear to be the main operators can't understand why I wasn't given their name.

I gave this review a 4* rating based on our enjoyment and the friendly staff and lovely food and not the décor of the hotel. There did appear to be issues with staff training and new bar staff but didn't affect us. We also got a lovely fruit platter as it was our anniversary. This we appreciated very much. Thank you Oban Bay

I think we will probably have another break in Oban next year and if the price was OK would stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Sea View room was very nice, supplement was £12.50 pppn. Also book parking at the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TWOWILLS
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it was truly appreciated. The hotels is being upgraded very soon, therefore, the issues with decor that you mentioned will be addressed. I have passed your kind comments on to the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the Oban Bay Hotel.

Fife, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This hotel is needing an update really old fashioned needing painted as well
Breakfast was nice but not enough to fill you up Staff nice
If staying in oban again wouldn't be here shame as it looks nice from outside

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it was truly appreciated. The hotel is being upgraded very soon, therefore, your constructive comments will be addressed. Should you visit Oban in the future, I hope you would consider the Oban Bay Hotel.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Visited area in March and spent one night at the Oban Bay Hotel and Spa.
Hotel was in a great location close to town centre and with private car park.
Staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. Twin bedroom booked was modern and spotlessly clean with complimentary toiletries in the immaculate bathroom.
Both my daughter and I chose the steak from the wonderful dinner menu and it was cooked to perfection.
Evening was spent in the very comfortable lounge area which boasts an open fire, comfortable sofas and a well stocked bar. The view out over water was gorgeous and would be even better enjoyed I'm sure in summer months from the comfortable conservatory/sun terrace to the front of the hotel.
Breakfast the following morning offered great choice which again was cooked and served
I would highly recommend for a short stay.
I was so impressed that I intend to book one of the "entertainment breaks" which they offer as a gift for my parents

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 213Familyofthree
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it was truly appreciated. I have passed all your kind comments on to the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the Oban Bay Hotel in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night enroute to Uig for business. We arrived very late and the receptionist was busy on her computer and didn't notice me. I was allocated a spacious double room with a beautiful sea view. The furniture in the room looked tired and dated and in need of some minor renovation. The bathroom was also looking fairly tired and in need of an update however everything was clean and tidy.

The hallways and stairs really need some serious attention though. They look more like a 1* hostel rather than a hotel and spa.

Can't comment of food or bar quality/price as we arrived too late (We called ahead at 2030 and told that they had already stopped serving dinner).

Probably wouldn't stay here again but if you get a good deal it is in a great location and clean! Don't expect much luxury though.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank GlasgowNick
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it was truly appreciated. The hotel is being upgraded very soon, therefore, the contructive comments you made will be addressed. I hope to welcome you back to the Oban Bay Hotel in the future.

Macau, China
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, little pricy for what you get but overall ok. We had a family of 4 in a twin. Place was clean and staff friendly. Breakfast was excellent and bar was ok also. Good location on the water front overlooking the harbour....book ahead if you can, it was packed and we got the one of the last 3 rooms.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank TheSeasonedTravelBag
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it was truly appreciated. I will pass your kind comments on to the staff and look forward to welcoming you back to the Oban Bay Hotel in the future.

Glasgow
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Booked a two day spa break and requested room upgrade to sea view. When we arrived, all the sea view rooms were allocated but we were offered an upgrade to one of the suites for the second night. The double room we had on the first night was ok - clean and comfortable - but only had a view of the car park. All rooms have TV, coffee making facilities and free wifi.

The suite was lovely - four poster bed, big leather sofa, lovely old bath and a separate shower. Robes and slippers were also provided. The view looking out over the bay was fantastic.

We were advised to book the spa treatments in advance but had difficulty getting to speak to the therapist. (It would be useful if reception staff could book people into the the spa as the therapist is on her own and very busy doing treatments). However, when we arrived she re-arranged her time table to fit us in. The spa break included an hour and a half of treatment each: full body scrub, massage and facial. All were great.

There is a mini-spa - no pool but a room with a steam room and sauna and an outdoor hot pool on the terrace. The spa room was very clean and looked to be fairly new.

We had the 6 course taster menu on both nights. The food was well-presented and tasty with a good range of choice to suit meat eaters, fish eaters and vegetarians. The breakfasts were also very good - and also had a good range of choice. The bar/lounge at the front of the hotel is a great place to relax and watch the ferries. All the staff were pleasant, efficient and smiling.

The hotel is well located - in a quiet area of town but only 10 mins walk from the ferry terminal.

Overall, we had a great stay. The initial problems were sorted out quickly and we were very happy with the room, food and spa treatments. I thought the overall price of the package was good value and I'd recommend the hotel to others.

Room Tip: Upgrade to one of the suites - it's worth the extra.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SuzieS57
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it was truly appreciated. I will pass your kind comments on to the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the Oban Bay Hotel in the future.

SH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oban
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
#2 of 13 in Oban
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#8 of 13 in Oban

Been to Oban Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!