“Had a good stay in the Oban Bay Hotel”
Review of Oban Bay Hotel

Oban Bay Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Stayed in hotel for 2 nights dbb with my husband and 9 month old son booked through spa breaks. Hotel was in a good location, room was clean warm and the bed was very comfy. The restaurant staff were very helpful by heating up food for our son and taking our order and serving our food promptly the only down side I would say is that some of the staff's English needs to be worked on. Even thou I had booked the hotel directly myself and asked for a cot to be in the room this was not the case when we arrived, they did however sort it out fairly quickly and we had the travel cot up and running in no time. We did have some treatments while there and found the beauty thearapist professional and very helpful and found the treatments very good and relaxing. Another thing that did go wrong was that one of us was booked in for treatments from morning till lunchtime and even thou I checked with the receptionist of the time slots she did manage to get it wrong and I ended up being 15 mins late, the beauty therapist did however take this in her stride and unfortunately for her had to take a shorter lunch. We did have a very pleasant stay and would return but one thing I would say is the receptionist needs to pay more attention when taking bookings and when guests are confirming what time their spa treatments are.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
DarrellWilliams, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2010

Thank you for your recent review, Please accept my apologies with regards to the issues you experienced, . I will certainly pass on your great comments on to the team, Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Oban in the very near future.

Darrell Williams

Write a ReviewReviews (1,841)

Reviewed 16 September 2010

Beautiful views, but that is the most redeeming feature. £265 a night for a junior suite, which was very poor compared to other hotels we have stayed in. Not the best value. No parking space on arrival even though reserved. Table for dinner right by the kitchen door, where all the waiters put jugs of water on a ledge next to us and my husband had to keep leaning out of the way. Only one therapist in the Spa who was fully booked for the stay. Although it was not the hotel's fault a group of American tourists were staying and had a group leader that insisted on standing up and making speeches in the restaurant without a thought for other diners. Will not be returning. Cameron House at Loch Lomond every time

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CAROLINE2402
DarrellWilliams, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2010

Thank you for taking the time to complete your recent review, I am really disappointed that the room that you stayed in did not meet your expectation or indeed my expectations during your recent visit to Oban, please accept my sincere apologies

Reviewed 13 September 2010

Very disappointing, four days and never saw anyone who looked in charge, management were non -existent, Of the staff, who all appeared to come from eastern Europe , few had good command of English, and only one seemed polite, well spoken and to be keen on helping. If you have any walking difficulties beware as even the ground floor had many steps to cope with. Food was well prepared and presented, but limited choice, and the speed of service was diabolical. The only thing going for it was the good views from lounge area.

Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank welshgold

Thank you for taking the time to complete your recent review, I am really disappointed that we did not meet your or indeed my expectations during your recent visit to Oban, please accept my sincere apologies

Reviewed 23 August 2010

Stayed here for one night during a tour of Scotland. We booked through a third party and paid £80 bed and breakfast. We arrived and parked (in the very small car park) to be advised by the Nanny McPhee-a like receptionist that there was a £5 nightly charge. After checking in, we went for a walk into the town (about 5 minutes walk away). Before heading back in town for dinner, we had a drink in the bar. The view from the bar across Oban bay was beautiful although the price of the bar drinks was a little expensive. Dinner at Room 9 in town was wonderful and we would definitely recommend it.
The spa consists of a sauna, steam room and outdoor spa. if you don't fancy walking around the reception in your swimming kit, try the relaxation chair - 15 minutes well spent.
The bed in the room was huge - a super king at least which meant a very good night's sleep. Breakfast the next morning was served at the table and was very good quality - full Scottish breakfast or kippers. A definite recommendation (if you can put up with the surly receptionist!)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
DarrellWilliams, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2010

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us & made good use of the facilities we have here at Oban bay; . I do hope that you will visit us again soon

Kind regards...

Reviewed 22 August 2010

My company booked this hotel for a one night stay. The hotel is right on the edge of the esplanade with panoramic views of the bay from the bar. The reception was adequate . My room was at the back of the hotel. It was Clean and well appointed. The bathroom was immaculate and what I would expect from a more expensive hotel. The food was excellent and reasonably priced . The restaurant staff were young but attentive. The Cullen skink was first class and the chef knows how to cook spaghetti. Breakfast was thankfully available at a decent time to the business traveller. The sauna and steam room were clean and well presented . The massage chair was great as was the discreetly hidden hottub which overlooked the bay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for your fantastic review, It is great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will certainly pass on your great comments to our team of Chefs & waiting staff who will be pleased. Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Oban in the very near future.
Darrell williams

Reviewed 19 August 2010

We stayed in the Lismore suite; very comfortable, clean and the views over the bay were great. The restaurant lack views but the food is absolutely amazing! The staff was very friendly and helpful, called us by name beginning at check-in! Can't fault anything about this place!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
DarrellWilliams, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2010

Thank you for your fantastic review, It is great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will certainly pass on your great comments to our team of Chefs & waiting staff and siobhan who will be pleased. Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Oban in the very near future. Kind regards...

Reviewed 17 August 2010

We spent two nights here and have no real complaints, but no real reasons to write a glowing review. Rooms were not overly large, but the baths were modern. No problems with cleanliness. Included breakfast was made to order and quite good; we did not eat dinner in the hotel restaurant. Service was good from wait staff, average from front desk. The hotel is in a nice location with a view of the water, about a five minute walk from town. Parking is very limited; make sure you reserve a spot when you book the room.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Oban in the very near future. Kind regards Kind regards Darrell Williams General Manager