“top notch”
Review of Oban Bay Hotel

Oban Bay Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 4 January 2011

this was our second time here and both times everything was excellent ,rooms were very good clean and comfy ,staff were first class helpfull and friendly ,on both occasions our welcome at reception was very friendly,dinner was excellent both in quality of food and the service from waiting staff . After a great nights sleep we went to breakfast this was very good and the best breakfast i have had in a hotel for a while,would reccommend this hotel to anyone visiting oban

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
DarrellWilliams, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2011

Thank you for your fantastic review, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will certainly pass on your great comments on to the team, Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Oban in the very near future. Kind regards
Darrell Williams

Write a ReviewReviews (1,849)

Reviewed 1 January 2011

Very good staff , restaurant very clean , we noticed one girl polishing all the cutlery , food excellent for the price , nothing too much trouble , lovely sea view room ( you will need to book a sea view ) . The large conservatory looks directly out over Oban Bay , watch the "cal-macs" come and go and the sun go down to leave the lights of Oban reflecting in the water . There was some very minor niggles , limited parking for example but just take a look at the view and then the bill and you will forget the niggles . This was our second winter short break (3 nights) and we are booking again .

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
DarrellWilliams, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2011

Reviewed 4 December 2010

We picked this hotel because Crerar Hotels sent us a leaflet with some amazing special offers, so we landed up paying a pittance for our stay here (dinner, bed and breakfast - even wine included). Because we had paid so little, things would have to have been pretty bad to justify any criticisms at all. However, apart from a not very effective shower, I would happily have paid full price for our trip. The room was spacious and well furnished. Our meals both nights were delicious and the service was great. The staff even managed to stay smiling when serving a particularly whingy guest. All this and sunshine too. We almost didn't make the trip because snow had caused trains between Edinburgh and Glasgow to be cancelled and we only just made the Oban train at Glasgow with minutes to spare after catching a bus. No snow in Oban, though - just sunshine. We had a great trip and would recommend the Oban Bay Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AGalloway
DarrellWilliams, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2010

Reviewed 26 November 2010

I ordered a standard single room.
Changed to another hotel cause the room was barely big enough for the bed. I was still was charged for the whole stay. Got no replies when sending emails to them.
Not happy.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank David123456190502
DarrellWilliams, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2010

Reviewed 10 November 2010

We had a nice enough stay at this hotel. Siobhan made my stay with two excellent spa treatments. Didn't expect the room to be so small and placed at the back of hotel. Shower difficult to use and taps a bit weird. Stayed 4 nights got my biscuits only once. Beds not the best and pillows soft. Food very nice but repetative so lost a bit of interest in eating. Breakfast decent service very pleasant and prompt. Front desk not the worst just a bit lethargic. Would go back if a front room suite secured. Would not recommend this hotel as I think you could have varied experiences, hairdryer could not reach for me to dry my hair and having long hair didn't have the strength to hold the switch down indefinately. Considered washing down stairs in the spa. Anyway lovelly location. Did mention an upgrade but was told not available at the time

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zac6

Thank you for taking the time to complete your recent review, I am really disappointed that we did not meet your or indeed my expectations during your recent visit to Oban, please accept my sincere apologies but i will pass on your great comments to siobhan about the spa

Reviewed 4 November 2010

a pretty tired hotel made worse but a very small over priced room with an old and lumpy bed. i felt i was a hotel visitor 20 years ago. an ok breakfast was the only positive thing.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank StarShepherd
DarrellWilliams, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2010

Reviewed 4 November 2010

Due to family circumstances had to stay unexpectedly in Oban! On the first occasion the Scottish labour party conference was on and most hotels were fully booked. We were given a lovely room at the front of the hotel.
We had to return two days later with two dogs and had a down stairs room at the back of the hotel which allowed easy access for the two dogs! I agree that the back rooms are small and lacking views but on a windy and wet November day they were sheltered and cosy.
Due to a fire in another hotel the staff managed a late in the day crisis very well!
During this difficult time all the staff were very helpful!
The best facial I have had and loved the included back massage!
The lounge was excellent! Lovely to just sit and look at the view! A bit slow on taking food and drinks orders but I don't think they expected to be so busy!
Yes I will stay again but will book a front room!

• Stayed: November 2010

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us & made good use of the facilities we have here at Oban bay; . I do hope that you will visit us again soon

Kind regards...