“Poor! Poor! Poor!”

Oban Bay Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Oban
“Poor! Poor! Poor!”
Reviewed 25 January 2011

My husband received a recognition voucher from his work, which enabled us to use at this hotel to the value of £300. After several telephone conversations with Darrell and Margaret to book the room, on our arrival there was no note of our booking??!! The room we got was stale, moldy and had a terrible smell in the toilet. We also booked a "luxury high tea" for the same day, again no note of this booking. The luxury high tea was also through my husbands work to the value of £30.00. Our luxury high tea consisted of 1 sandwich, 1 shop bought scone, 1 mini muffin and one cookie straight from the packet and 1 small cup of tea each- a real disgrace! In total it must have cost the hotel £3.00. When feeding this back to the receptionist, the complacent response was sorry if you were unhappy!? I expect we will receive the same response everyone else on here has had - a half hearted apology with no real substance, tip for the managment, action speaks louder than words. It could have been such a nice experience, sadly it wasn't and we wont be back. As this was a reward through my husbands work, this has been fed into his company, therefore I expect they will do their own investigation. No wonder so many hotels and guest houses are going down the tubes.

2 Thank Lozza2410
DarrellWilliams, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2011

Kind regards

Darrell Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2011

I found the Oban Bay Hotel to be very nice and welcoming. The room was small, but nicely appointed and looked out to the bay. Breakfast was very tasty, and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
DarrellWilliams, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2011
Thank you for your review, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Oban in the very near future. Kind regards Kind regards Darrell Williams General Manager
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Very unhappy with the mouldy bathroom and the dust heavy soft furnishings. We will not be going back there. It was a disappointing end to what had been a lovely holiday. Be warned that you will be charged if you want to park in the hotel's own car-park and there is no convenient alternatives close by.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AL1503
Thank you for taking the time to complete your recent review, I am really disappointed that we did not meet your or indeed my expectations during your recent visit to Oban, please accept my sincere apologies Kind regards Darrell Williams General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Oban hotels

glasgow
Reviewed 18 January 2011

great food , great location, lovely hotel, basis bedroom small but clean and well furnished. shower cubicle a bit on the small side. bed in the room we had needs replaced as very uncomfortable. overall very good value for the money we paid and 10 out of 10 to the chef.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your fantastic review, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will certainly pass on your great comments on to the team, look forward to welcoming you back to Oban in the very near future.

Kind regards
Darrell Williams
Scotland
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Once again my husband and I have returned to this hotel to relax and again we are more than delighted to be here. We are in the Lismore Suite, which is a large room, with a comfortable couch and armchair and large four poster bed. The views from the window over the bay are beautiful. The bathroom is beatifully done out with a deep roll top bath with amazing views over Oban Bay, Kerrara and Mull. It was such a pleasure to soak in this tub and watch the view. Again the staff are the most helpful, friendly and professional staff I have ever come across and nothing is too much trouble for them. The food is great and the views as always stunning. As I have said in my previous reviews it is like a home from home. Keep up the good work guys. I can't wait to start planning my next visit.

Reviewed 16 January 2011

Perfect Hotel to stay and recharge your batteries. Hotel lovely with stunning views. Room very clean and comfy. Restaurant lovely and food great. For anyone concerned about booking a special offer, don't be, it was perfect. Looking forward to visiting again and staying longer.

Reviewed 7 January 2011

Stayed here for two nights with my husband and loved it! Staff were so kind and the cedar wood hot tub is a MUST so don't forget your swimming gear. Both the breakfasts and evening meals were very good and nothing was toomuch trouble for the staff.Comfortable bed and our room looked out over the bay as the ferries travelled to and fro. Unbelievable value.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us & made good use of the facilities we have here at Oban bay; . I do hope that you will visit us again soon Kind regards... Darrell Williams
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oban
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
#6 of 13 in Oban
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#8 of 13 in Oban

Been to Oban Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!