“A nice comfortable place for the night”

BEST WESTERN The Queens Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Stewarton, United Kingdom
“A nice comfortable place for the night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

My wife and I were on business in Oban and came across the Queens Hotel. It was very nice clean and comfortable the staff were first class, the bar meals were excellent and the breakfast in the morning was top of the range. If I had to pick fault with the hotel it is the fact that parking is very limited but you can street park so its not the end of the world.
The prices were very keen so the next time we are in Oban we will be at the Queens again.

Room Tip: Try for a room with a sea view as Oban has a busy harbour so there is always something of interest g...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
raymondhyams, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about the BEST WESTERN The Queens Hotel.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Queens. I will pass your kind comments on to the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

The hotel itself is average in almost every way. It really felt like a chain hotel. Don't take room 37. Starting 4:30 am there was a constant banging on the ceiling from people walking back and forth.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Desfait
raymondhyams, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Please accept our apologies if you were disturbed by guests moving around in the room above you during the night. I hope this did not disturb your sleep too much.
Ayr, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed here between the 13th of March and the 15th of March for a week break. The hotel itself is located on the opposite side of the town centre, but it still easy to find. (Just don’t get the hotel mixed up with the Bay Western as I did!) It is on the promenade and it was a lovely view. Unfortunately, my room was located out the back and did not have front view.
Upon my arrival at about 2:30pm, I was very lucky to get the one of the six car park spaces on site. There is parking available on the street though if you don’t get onsite parking. I had a pleasant greeting from the receptionist and was presented with a welcome letter which was a nice touch along with my room keys. I was told that you can ‘turn up’ for dinner in the bar, however if I wish to have a ‘find-dine meal’ in the restaurant, I would need to book. I was told that the menu would be ready by 5pm and dinner was from 5:30pm and I was not waiting until then to decide. My room was located on the third floor and the very end (not easily accessed if you are disabled). The room was nice and cosy (something I did like). Everything was well presented in the bedroom and nothing looked tacky. However, my TV wasn’t working and that had to be fixed. As I wasn’t staying in the hotel 24/7, I did use the lift frequently. However, sometimes it did not work and would basically refuse to move. I then had to resort to the stairs which were too steep, even for my liking!
The breakfast in the morning was very well presented! Excellent and could not complain. Pity this couldn’t be carried on to the next day as the breakfast the next day was scraps leftover or very, very over-cooked. I did not dine in the hotel for dinner, so I cannot comment on that.
On my last night there, I decided to have a few drinks downstairs. I was told when I arrived that the bar was open from 11am-11pm. So I ordered my wine at 10pm and then the bartender came round and starting taking the menus off the table!! The bar was still open for another hour and he was saying that it was ‘last orders’!! Something I wasn't pleased with.
The service in the hotel was okay, apart from that one bartender. The quality of the hotel was very good (apart from the lift) despite its outside look. I would highly recommend the hotel, however a few days was enough for me. It would be too good for this to be a three star hotel but way off for this to be a five star hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank AMB521
In response to review I would like to make the following points. First of all we are a four star hotel and not a five star as you say. We advise on our advertising that the car park is vey limited.
The Restaurant opens for service at six o’clock and the restaurant menu is written every afternoon depending on the ingredients the Chef has foraged on that day.
The TV in your room was working but the setting had been changed by the previous occupant and all that was required to fix was the DTV button to be pressed on the remote control.
No other guest in the hotel has reported the lift not working and I have no record of you reporting this either. Might I also point out that if you had been disabled we would not have put you in that room.
I am disappointed about your comments regards breakfast but I can assure you that we do not feed guests scraps or left over’s.
I am sorry we never met your expectations of the hotel during your stay but we hope to see you again at the Queen’s
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our three day stay at this hotel. It's location, about 400 yards outside of the town centre, was ideal. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Our room had been recently refurbished and was very comfortable. Breakfast was to the standard we would expect.
We did have an issue with car parking. We had selected this hotel in preference to others because it advertised on site parking. The day before we arrived they kindly sent a message pointing out that the parking area was small, but assured us that there would be no problem as there was lots of parking along the sea front. We arrived a 9pm to find the nearest parking was in the town centre as everywhere nearby was in us.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Greenwich, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

There are numerous hotels in this town - I chose BW as i like hotel chains and am a member of their reward scheme. The car park was almost full so I parked right outside as there were no double yellows. My single room was small, but adequate and reflective of good price paid. Clean and comfy, pleasant staff and just a short walk to the town centre. Wifi a bit patchy in my room, but fine in lounge. Great location before morning visit to Seil and Luing.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the BEST WESTERN The Queens Hotel on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Queens.
Thank you for your nice comments about your comfort and cleanliness of your room.
| look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Irvine, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We were privileged to be invited to the opening of this beautiful hotels new restaurant,a culinary delight. The chef Gary Goldie specialises in local foraged produce which he gathers himself each day, wild herbs mushrooms and wild flowers. The meat and seafood are all produced locally and the difference is amazing.The seven course tasting menu was served and described by Gary himself who's enthusiasm shines through every mouthwatering course.Also the aperitifs served in the lounge bar were second to none, the mushrooms being my personal favourite closely followed by the smoked trout and the crab. A pre starter of scallops was a treat followed by scarlet elf cup mushrooms on celeriac absolutely divine , next mull langoustine with wild leek barley Wow ! The lamb stovies will every type of cabbage was unbelievable then the cheese course in the style of a toastie a revelation. The two sweet tasters were outstanding everything totally delicious the highlight for me were the gorseflowers but everything served with care and dedication.Coffee and petit fours which had a touch of humour being Jammie dodgers and goldie bars but also completed a perfect dinning experience. At £32 unbelievable value other hotels in the area charge £50 for something only half as good. This clever chef in fact has just received an award from the Scottish Parliament congratulating him on his new venture and his use of foraged produce, this speaks volumes.
The hotel itself is a very well furnished , spotlessly clean and very well run establishment, the staff are second to none very courteous and knowledgable ,particular thanks to Marik who went out of his way to make sure we were well taken care of . Our room was really comfortable and well furnished in fact the whole hotel is a credit to the charming owners good taste. I hope I will be lucky enough to go again in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: We were in room 4 which looked onto car park , didn't really matter as we were only there one ni...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sheilanne69
Oban, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Brilliant 3 night stay. Couldn't be faulted at all. Food especially good. Weather might have been better but it was Oban we were in after all! Really enjoyed our trip and would definitely stay there again in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

raymondhyams, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about the BEST WESTERN the Queens Hotel.

Many thanks for your nice comments about the hotel.

I only wish we could do something about the weather.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Queens in the near future.