“Smart Frontage”

Best Western The Queens Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very pretty hotel at the front but my room was in the large purpose built block at the back. A rather ugly building accessed via stairs and a flyover passage before reaching the lift. The good news is that the hotel does have purpose built single rooms! A nice room with a relatively large shower room, all I required - clean and quiet.
On arrival the we had to pay one night in advance which was a little off putting - I can understand the reasoning but I prefer to be taken on trust! We did not eat in the hotel during the evening as there is so much choice in the town. Breakfast was more than adequate, exceptional bacon - the only down side - self service!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This quiet Hotel is away from the noisy tourist area, yet within 10 Min. walk to the down town. Excellent service and accommodation. The restaurant was 5 star re food and service. Excellent Value. We would recommend this hotel highly. Even if you are not staying at this hotel I would recommend their restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

The chef is everything that he is said to be-our evening meal was outstanding! Everything was superbly presented and well cooked in just the right proportions. The breakfast was also of high quality. Staff were pleasant and the hotel was impeccably clean throughout. Only issue was that despite saying in their information that food was available throughout the day infact it was not. The location of the hotel if you have a room with a sea view is breathtaking. We would without doubt return here

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank 178annie12345
Reviewed 21 July 2014

we booked this hotel after being let down by a guesthouse that just wasn't up to scratch but we were very pleased by the cleanliness and breakfasts staff were also very helpful especially the man on the front desk who was very helpful definately stay here again

Room Tip: rooms near the lift can be a bit noisy
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My trip plans changed so I found myself on a delayed ferry from Barra to Oban with nowhere to stay and booked the last single room at The Queens for that night - £80. I just made it by 11pm when their checking in closes.

Single room was on the smaller size but very big bathroom. Shower was great - really hot. Bed was comfy.

Access to rooms on second floor is by one set of stairs then 1 floor on the lift.

I would have liked slightly better tea, coffee and bathroom supplies for £80.

Morning receptionist was really nice and friendly.

Highlight was the breakfast - very good indeed cooked option, might want to offer a wee bit more in terms of continental choices.

Great location.

Pricier than I would normally pay and wasn't wooed but wasn't disappointed either - aside from the breakfast and the lady at reception - meh for me. Think it might suit couples more - not many younger folks staying there

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Thank you Best Western Queen’s Hotel as you made our 30th anniversary celebration very memorable. Husband and I are Best Western members in the United States, and a 2 night stay at the Queen’s hotel in Oban was so memorable. We needed more time in Oban.

The rooms were spotless, amenities all intact. We did book early and do suggest the full breakfast option. Excellent! We also booked a room overlooking the Lorn and it really became a memorable stay. This is a wonderful town to explore. Do go up to the Dunnoille castle and explore the ruins. Oban has heart.

We don’t drink whiskey, but were curious so did order two samples of local whisky from the bar to take upstairs and sat in the wonderful chairs in the window. The sun does set at 11PM in the summer , so we did make use of the curtains . We did book the AM breakfast, and was not disappointed.

Big “Thank You” Mr. H. and the AM front office staff for their warm welcome and send off. If we could send other family members from ‘The States”, we would definitely recommend The Queen’s Hotel .

Room Tip: Book an ocean view room. You will not be disappointed
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel 2 nights- too many. It is in a nice location but that is all I can say to recommend it.The single room was smaller than the dorm room I had in university and with even less ambience. I think they converted some broom closets to be able to rent out more rooms.Hard to find room to open the suitcase, except on the bed.The bed was not comfortable, the shower was tiny but luckily so am I. The service ion the restaurant was extremely slow and poor. The food was good.
I would suggest you check out the hostel before booking a single room in this hotel.

Room Tip: DO not book a single room. Others I spoke too said the double rooms were better.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo