“Very poor room”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very poor room”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed here and was charged £80 b&b and although more expensive than other hotels in Oban, I decided to stay here as it was a higher star grade and had free wifi throughout, which I would use for work stuff. I arrived at the hotel around 745pm after a 385 mile drive and couldn't get a space at the hotel to park my car and struggle to get a space on the road. I then found it surprising that they asked me to pay for my room at check in, where normally you pay on departure and I couldn't get my receipt for this payment until I left in the morning. I was told my room was room 7 and how disappointed was I. The room was tiny (cupboard) with a single bed stuck at against the walls without a headboard and it had a very small TV on the wall. To make things worse, I couldn't pick up their wifi in my room, although the hotel claim it is available throughout the hotel. If I walked further along the corridor from my room, the wifi could then be picked up but, again lost when I returned to my room. To be fair, the bar meal and breakfast food was good, although limited choice on the bar meal menu and I can't comment on the other bedrooms, as I never saw them. The hotel reception area, front of hotel, bar etc was very nice, I just feel that for £80, bedroom 7 was a joke and would only be worth £45 max. Even at checkout this morning, I wasn't asked how my stay was etc, or I would of mentioned how unhappy I was. I would stay somewhere else on my next visit to Oban as I wouldn't want the chance of a room like this again for the money that was being charged.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 7!!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank garysgc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Polish first
Dalbeattie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very pretty hotel at the front but my room was in the large purpose built block at the back. A rather ugly building accessed via stairs and a flyover passage before reaching the lift. The good news is that the hotel does have purpose built single rooms! A nice room with a relatively large shower room, all I required - clean and quiet.
On arrival the we had to pay one night in advance which was a little off putting - I can understand the reasoning but I prefer to be taken on trust! We did not eat in the hotel during the evening as there is so much choice in the town. Breakfast was more than adequate, exceptional bacon - the only down side - self service!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This quiet Hotel is away from the noisy tourist area, yet within 10 Min. walk to the down town. Excellent service and accommodation. The restaurant was 5 star re food and service. Excellent Value. We would recommend this hotel highly. Even if you are not staying at this hotel I would recommend their restaurant.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

duraham
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

The chef is everything that he is said to be-our evening meal was outstanding! Everything was superbly presented and well cooked in just the right proportions. The breakfast was also of high quality. Staff were pleasant and the hotel was impeccably clean throughout. Only issue was that despite saying in their information that food was available throughout the day infact it was not. The location of the hotel if you have a room with a sea view is breathtaking. We would without doubt return here

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank 178annie12345
denny stirlingshire
Reviewed 21 July 2014

we booked this hotel after being let down by a guesthouse that just wasn't up to scratch but we were very pleased by the cleanliness and breakfasts staff were also very helpful especially the man on the front desk who was very helpful definately stay here again

Room Tip: rooms near the lift can be a bit noisy
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My trip plans changed so I found myself on a delayed ferry from Barra to Oban with nowhere to stay and booked the last single room at The Queens for that night - £80. I just made it by 11pm when their checking in closes.

Single room was on the smaller size but very big bathroom. Shower was great - really hot. Bed was comfy.

Access to rooms on second floor is by one set of stairs then 1 floor on the lift.

I would have liked slightly better tea, coffee and bathroom supplies for £80.

Morning receptionist was really nice and friendly.

Highlight was the breakfast - very good indeed cooked option, might want to offer a wee bit more in terms of continental choices.

Great location.

Pricier than I would normally pay and wasn't wooed but wasn't disappointed either - aside from the breakfast and the lady at reception - meh for me. Think it might suit couples more - not many younger folks staying there

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo