“Comfortable ,very clean ,lovely views” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN The Queens Hotel

BEST WESTERN The Queens Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Comfortable ,very clean ,lovely views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

We stayed at The Queens Hotel on our recent tour of Scotland , upon arrival we were a little confused why we had to pay before we were given a room which is a little unusual .

However the room was spotless and very comfortable , the staff were friendly and helpful , this hotel is not in its first flush of youth and parts lack a little character but we would stay there again .

It's a short walk into the town centre maybe 10 minutes along the sea front , which on a summers evening was very pleasant .

Overall a nice experience .

Room Tip: Sea view rooms worth it
  • Stayed September 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

The Queens Hotel Oban, Scotland was a great disappointment to us. Given the pictures on the booking site, it looked like we were booking into a top class modern hotel. Boy, were we wrong on that! Its an old hotel trying to look new and while the lounge and dining room might be 4 star, the upstairs/bedroom area is no more that 3 stars at best. All meals were excellent and respectfully served. The bedroom, and ours had a sea view, was old in feel and appearance and very average. There is no lift which means older people have to lift their cases up to and down from the bedroom. We were delayed by 45 minutes beyond the stated check-in time which did not go down well after a long drive. IWhen I booked this hotel, I had planned it to be the highlight of our 6 day Scottish stay, it wasn't. In fact it was the worst hotel experience we had in Scotland. We would not recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John W
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Location is on the waterfront. The rooms we were in were in an attached building which was a short walk from the main building and up a rickety elevator. The rooms were basic but clean. Overall a satisfactory stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Andover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I contacted the hotel to ask for some details as my wife is disabled. The receptionist was very helpful and went away to check the details. The room was spacious and whilst tired looking was ideal for us. During our stay all of the staff were very friendly and helpful their care and cheerfulness really enhanced the enjoyment of our stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank R R
scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights,but dissappointed with the hotel,we were given a room at the back of the hotel which was basically a block of rooms only good thing was we had a view of Oban Bay,on the first night we ate in the hotel,the menu was not very exciting not much variety although what we had was good enough but not much of it.The breakfast in the morning had plenty of choice,pity it wasn't 'hot' on both mornings it was only warm.The rooms were clean and comfortable but in need of updating

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

If I had to choose one word to sum up the queens it would be 'mediocre'.

I got a good nights sleep and the room was clean an functional but certainly not four star. No ironing board, no safe, no biscuits and the decor was a bit tired.

The scran was much better. Id say the menu was a bit limited with only 4 main courses to choose from. However I had fish and chips ftpm the bar menu which was truly excellent. Breakfast was also pretty decent.

I was staying at the hotel with work so didn't pick up the bill. Nevertheless, I thought £140 was a bit steep for a single room dinner and breakfast.

The decor in the public areas is a bit naff and its a shame best western have turned this beautiful Victorian building with its stunning views over oban bay into a hotel which feels like it could be anywhere.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrMuh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed here and was charged £80 b&b and although more expensive than other hotels in Oban, I decided to stay here as it was a higher star grade and had free wifi throughout, which I would use for work stuff. I arrived at the hotel around 745pm after a 385 mile drive and couldn't get a space at the hotel to park my car and struggle to get a space on the road. I then found it surprising that they asked me to pay for my room at check in, where normally you pay on departure and I couldn't get my receipt for this payment until I left in the morning. I was told my room was room 7 and how disappointed was I. The room was tiny (cupboard) with a single bed stuck at against the walls without a headboard and it had a very small TV on the wall. To make things worse, I couldn't pick up their wifi in my room, although the hotel claim it is available throughout the hotel. If I walked further along the corridor from my room, the wifi could then be picked up but, again lost when I returned to my room. To be fair, the bar meal and breakfast food was good, although limited choice on the bar meal menu and I can't comment on the other bedrooms, as I never saw them. The hotel reception area, front of hotel, bar etc was very nice, I just feel that for £80, bedroom 7 was a joke and would only be worth £45 max. Even at checkout this morning, I wasn't asked how my stay was etc, or I would of mentioned how unhappy I was. I would stay somewhere else on my next visit to Oban as I wouldn't want the chance of a room like this again for the money that was being charged.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 7!!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business