“Ageing splendour but a splendid view”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Regent Hotel

Regent Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Ageing splendour but a splendid view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

We spent a weekend in February in the Regent and for the price it was definitely good value. We had a room at the third floor corner of the old part of the hotel with a beautiful view of Oban bay, the ferries docking and Loch Linne. This is an old hotel so don't expect a travel lodge but certainly plenty of character a clean room and comfy bed. The lift is supposed to take 4 people but that seemed only on the way down as it always balked at taking more than 2 fat people on an upward flight. Probably best not to use it if you are of a nervous disposition. The staff were very pleasant and the meals were more than adequate so all in all a very good break. A lovely wee pub called the Tartan Tavern sits just behind the museum and is worth a visit if you are a drinking man.

Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on the Regent Hotel.
I was happy to read that you found your stay good value for money and that you found the room clean and the bed comfy. I’m glad our team were nice and pleasant during your stay .
We hope to welcome you back to the Regent and Oban in the near future.
Regent Hotel management and on behalf of all the staff at the Regent Hotel Oban

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Polish first
home
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

stayed 2 nights on a dbb+ drinks package which was great value .room s clean food very good at dinner and standard breakfast . staff were very nice but breakfast on the sunday took over 1 hour simply due to lack of staff . that staff present worked very hard , but can only do so much . If managers read this surely there are students out there you could employ for a weekend breakfast shift or two .

Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on trip advisor.
I’ am glad you found your stay great value for money and that you enjoyed the breakfast and dinner ,since your stay we have employed two more team members and are actively recruiting more staff .
I am sorry you had to wait so long for service at breakfast time and I hope this did not spoil your break.
We hope to welcome you back to the Regent in the future.
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

This hotel needs to be closed and refurbished.The small lift for 82 bedrooms supposed to hold 4 only work with 2 scary. our bedroom overlooked a dirty allay way okay only there for one night. Room no heating on in Feburary on the sea front okay housekeeping fault told. Room beds okay TV Wifi heater was old and not working properly. Other guests asked for extra heaters we had no room. One night in bed long johns under pygamas socks jumper hottie scarf and blanket over downie.Comfortable. Communal areas were also cold. All not good enough. One nights stay too many.
Have read other reveiws . Pot luck as to what roon one gets.

Room Tip: SEA view would be nice don't know how one can insist room warm
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on trip advisor, I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your break at the Regent. As you mentioned we do have a supply of extra heaters for such cold occasions, I’m sorry this was not told to you by our team or an alternative solution sought. I will use your points to work with our team to ensure a situation like this does not reoccur.
Regent Hotel management and on behalf of all the staff at the Regent Hotel Oban

Travellers are raving about these Oban hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

Thankfully we had been allocated a sea view room on the 4th floor, which had amazing views over Oban bay. The room was clean, warm, and an endless supply of hot water.

We had breakfast and dinner at the hotel, and on both occasions, had no complaint. Food was warm, and enjoyable. Staff seemed a bit overworked, but done a great job in serving meals quickly. Reception staff were excellent.

Overall experience was good, but a little upgrading in the bedrooms, would make a more enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: ask for seaview
Thank you for your kind comments on trip advisor

It is always good to hear positive feedback. I am glad you had such a nice stay and enjoyed the views from your room, and that you enjoyed all the meals at the hotel
We look forward to seeing you back to the Regent hotel Oban in the future .
Erskine, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

Booked on price and based on other reviews, didn't expect much.
How some people like to moan just for the sake of it!
Phoned in advance and asked for a nice sea view room. checked in promptly by a very friendly girl at reception and advised where to park and had booking taken for dinner, then given keys. No hassle or problems at all. Room on the 5th floor which had recently been refurbished with a fantastic sea view. Tea, coffee biscuits, replaced each day, flat screen tv, hairdryer and complimentary toiletries in bathroom. Room clean, bright and big enough for two adults.
Restaurant staff clearly understaffed but worked hard to provide a speedy friendly service, especially Irene! Food the entire weekend was fantastic and yes there may be a limited menu but if you can't find something on it to eat, you're obviously too fussy!
We didn't drink in the hotel or sample the Saturday night entertainment so can't comment.
It is a very old Art Deco building and as such does need some renovation, but the room was clean, spacious and well equipped, the food was a very pleasant surprise and I can honestly say I've paid more money for less satisfaction. You'll never get 5 star luxury from a two star hotel but I'd definitely go back based on my most recent trip.

Room Tip: Ask when you book for a sea view room on the 5th floor
Thank you for your kind comments on trip advisor

It is very nice to read such positive comments and I will as always pass these to our team. I am glad you had such a enjoyable stay and enjoyed the food in our restaurant.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Regent in the not too distant future .
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013 via mobile

I arrived and was greeted by a friendly receptionist who was happy for us to leave our bags as my husband and I had arrived early. I was in a room on the 2nd floor. Room was very dated and in need of modernisation but clean and comfortable enough for a night's stay. The room had no hair dryer and I had to wait for a bit after requesting one from reception. My husband eventually had to go down to reception where I think the enquiry had been forgotten about. I never had breakfast as I was getting the early ferry so can't comment on the food. For £38 per night the value was good but I would only stay here again if getting an early ferry in the future. I would recommend other hotels in Oban if people were staying longer. This hotel needs some modernising as it does appear to be run down which is a shame.

• Stayed February 2013
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2013
Thank you for your comments on trip advisor

I am glad you found your stay value for money and that you had a warm friendly welcome. We are in the process of decorating all guest bedrooms and have already completed rooms with new beds and furniture, which we will do with all the rooms as the year goes on.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

Just returned from an overnight stay and a training day in the hotel. My advice? Walk along the front until you reach the Regent Hotel ... then walk past swifty and find somewhere else!

No food after 8pm as that's when the dining room closes. I asked for a sandwich and presume that it took a few minutes so that the person who served me could go round all the mousetraps in the building looking for cheese because that's exactly what it tasted like. The bread was stale and no amount of dressing it up with salad and crisps could change the taste.

Training facilities - dreadful. Go somewhere else. Tea and coffee were indistinguishable from each other, lunch was a horrible experience and many of the trainees went to local shops for takeaway.

The bedroom was fine, clean and I have no complaints but I don't think the Regent Hotel is quite geared up for the Global Conferencing Trade.

I may have been in worse hotels but I'm struggling to think of one.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Isabelle K
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Thank you for the review on the Regent hotel.
As a direct result of your review we have changed our procedures for any conference/meeting bookings and I would like to sincerely apologise for all the issues you had to deal with during your training day.
We do as you mentioned close our dining room at 8pm during the off peak season and we don’t offer food beyond this time , however on this occasion one of our team fulfilled your request over an hour after the advertised closing time . I can assure you that the bread was not stale, but is kept in the fridge when not in use after dinner service as the kitchen temperature is not suitable to store bread in. We do bring this out prior to food service times to ensure it does not have the temperature and consistency of inedible bread but on this occasion we had no time to do this as it was for immediate consumption.
I would like to sincerely apologise again for all these problems.