“dont go”

Regent Hotel
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Oban
“dont go”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

we stayed at this hotel for one night and that was one night too long , apart from the good view from our warm and clean room it has to be said , it then goes down hill from there on.
the staff are ok, we stayed on a room bed and breakfast with a bottle of bubbly ... the dinner was awful cheap and nasty which seemed to be heated up in a packet ... no chef needed.
the bubbly is an insult I'm sure i seen this stuff in lidle for £1 a bottle ok maybe £2 totally undrinkable and an insult , we didn't go to the bar for the fear of being ripped off so we went out to another bar in town .
don't expect to get a good nights sleep either because the mattress we had was so bad it was actually painful.
THIS PLACE IS CHEAP AND NASTY don't think your getting a bargain

Room Tip: don't know if there is one
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 14travelingAl
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on the Regent Hotel
I’m sorry you did not enjoy your stay and that you felt the food was poor , I will discuss the issues you faced with our head chef as we have been receiving very good feedback for our food.

I was disappointed that you did not enjoy the bubbly, the chosen brand will never be too everyone’s taste hover your review must be the most negatively intense options we have received either on trip advisor or direct at the hotel and for this we must apologise.

Your comments regarding a potential rip off at the bar confused me as we have published price lists on the bar in public view as do all licenced premises in Scotland that names products and prices which too me would eliminate any chance of your fears being realised .

The Regent Hotel Management and on behalf of the entire team at the Regent Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I stayed with our friends for two nights dinner bed and breakfast in February. We have stayed several times before in the Regent and I agree with some of the comments that parts of the hotel are a bit' tired and weary looking' However, the dining room is nicely decorated and we found the food was even nicer this time - plenty of delicious food and beautifully presented. At breakfast you helped yourself to cereals, juice etc and there was a good choice for the cooked breakfast, and as much toast, tea, coffee etc as you wished. The waiting staff could not do enough for you. We both had front facing bedrooms with lovely views over Oban Bay, and while they could have done with perhaps being modernised a bit, they were comfortable, with hospitality tray and spotless. We came with Easy-breaks and I reckon our deal represented excellent value for money!

Room Tip: I would ask for a front-facing room if possible and they are nice and bright with good views across...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sheenawm
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on the Regent Hotel
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the team to be very helpful and the food ,presentation and views were all beautiful
We hope to see you back again in the future
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We made a last minute booking on latebookings.com. Our room was half price and as we booked on a Saturday morning for Saturday night, we didn't expect much. Boy were we wrong, we didn't want to leave our room! The view was stunning! The staff were so nice and helpful, the breakfast was huge and the atmosphere was very friendly by staff and guests alike.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 351aileenb
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your very kind comments on the Regent Hotel
Your review put smiles on a few faces at our last team meeting as we work to ensure guests have a relaxing break away and you seemed to have very much enjoyed your stay .
We hope to see you back in the near future perhaps you will be able to stay a bit longer
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is warm, our room was clean, the staff are very pleasant and helpful. The food we had was very nice and good value. Even the free bubbly was drinkable. The hotel is in need of a face lift as the decor inside and out is dated and sad looking. We booked through Classic Britainand the deal for bed, breakfast, evening meal and a bottle of bubbly was well worth the money we paid. The hotel is situated on the front next to the sea and two mins walk from the shops and harbour. I will probably go back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank YVGALBRAITH
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind comments on trip advisor.
I am very happy that you enjoyed the food, and the bubbly and that the team were very friendly .
It was good to read that you found your stay well worth the money you paid and that you will probably go back .
We hope to see you back in the near future
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This break away was a gift, after reading the reviews from here we were a bit apprehensive about our trip however our concerns were totally unneeded.
I emailed ahead as I must stick to a strict Gluten free diet and as dinner came part of the deal we hoped to eat in the hotel if possible, I explained my situation with the dinner and got a swift reply advising that it wouldn't be a problem and that the chef would be told, on arrival I again mentioned gluten free (i am always worried when I eat out, especially when gluten free is not advertised), I was put at ease and told that the chef was aware.
When we went down to dinner the waiter arrived with a menu that the chef had written in with the specifications that altered the dishes to gluten free. I had more than enough options for all three courses! Could not have been more impressed, I even had two options for dessert which did not include some sort of fruit salad (the standard I have found over the years). The meal was a good home cooked dinner, nothing fancy however it was well cooked and I was even provided with my own gluten free roll, for the attention to my need for G/F I would recommend this hotel again and again, I felt so at ease eating here, no concerns that I was about to eat something that would ruin my full trip.
The staff on the desk were more than helpful, especially advising the best place to park (for free).
The rooms were nothing exciting, you don't pay much to stay here so you get what you pay for, they're not big bright rooms but it was clean and comfortable. We had a front facing room so had a good view.
As a whole, my stay here was much better than expected and would stay again, it could be doing with a bit of an update but other than that I have absolutely no complaints!

Room Tip: As for a front facing room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gluten_Freek89
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind comments on trip advisor.
I am very happy that all your concerns were met and that the entire team worked to ensure that your gluten free requests were taking care of with ease .
I will pass on your comments to the chef and the team .
We hope to see you back at the Regent Hotel, Oban in the near future
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed here quite a while ago and recieved excellent value for moneyso decided to stay again when I was in Oban . there has been considerable investment in this property since i was last here which is good to see. I decided to eat in and had an excellent meal which was very good value for money. All staff were very friendly and well turned out in smart uniforms. i look forward to my next visit

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank inspector777
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on trip advisor.
It is always great to read a review from a returning guest and the content of your review makes it more so.
I’m glad you not only enjoyed your stay this time but that the improvements in your opinion are progressing very quickly.
We hope to see you back at the Regent Hotel, Oban in the near future
GLASGOW SCOTLAND
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Went here in February with a Glenton"Mystery"overnight stay. For the price we paid,we couldn't really complain. Bus from Glasgow,wee stop in Inverary enroute,Lomond Shores on way home.What's not to like?
Well,the good points in the hotel first - pleasant staff,decent breakfast,simple but well cooked dinner that evening,voucher for a couple drinks (nice touch)
However,the room - what a disappointment! Very small,plain space, schooner rigged comes to mind! And the bathroom, awfully cold,even with the(inadequate) heating on.
We were lucky in that we had a front facing room,don't think it wouldn't be great round the back,certainly view wise.
As an Art Deco building,the owners must be restricted as to what improvements could be made & how much they would cost(which would be high) But the draughts blowing through the single glazed windows were fierce!
The lift is also very old & only takes about 3 at a pinch,making it frustrating if there's a queue.
Then there is the décor in the public areas,a bit tired & shabby. We could forgive a lot if this could be addressed we all expect hotels to be a little smarter than the Regent currently is.So,how about it,owners,we'd return quicker if this at least happened.

Room Tip: Ask if a front facing room is available. The views over the bay are lovely even in the rain(like our...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank weemaw
Tommy S, Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on trip advisor.
We appreciate all feedback and your review will help us to continue to improve, with regards to the issues you encountered I would like to apologise for these as they should have been rectified prior to your arrival.
I am glad you enjoyed the food and the additional drinks and that you found the team pleasant

We hope to see you back at the Regent Hotel, Oban in the future