“disappointed”
Review of Rowantree Hotel

Rowantree Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 30 August 2010

Just back from a two day stay in the Rowantree Hotel.
The location of this hotel is good ; easy walking distance to shops, restaurants, bars, harbour and esplanade.
Our room was fine ; clean and obviously fairly recently refurbished.
The shower was very good but more hand rails or a non slip mat would make getting in and out of the shower safer.
The big negative was the breakfast which I have to say is the worst breakfast I have ever had in any hotel or guest house!
Things got off to a bad start when I saw the breakfast room ; very poorly set up tables placed too close together.
Breakfast consisted of poor quality fruit juice, tinned fruit, bargain basement quality cereal, stewed tea or bitter coffee.
The food on the hot plates had obviously been prepared earlier and was no more than lukewarm.
There has obviously been money spent on the Rowantree Hotel recently and I urge the management to make a review of their breakfast experience their next project !

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ross58Scotland

Reviewed 25 August 2010

By far the best hotel my partner and I have visited for a romantic get-away! I have been privileged enough to have been able to stay in hotels such as the Library (NY) and the Soho (London), and would have to say my preference would be the Rowantree. The others may offer more luxuries, but this quaint hotel offers so much more that they simply cannot. An ideal quiet break, far from the busy city life, this hotel and surrounding areas are as romantic as you will be able to get. We stayed for only a week, but will hopefully return soon for a fortnight as there is so much on offer. The new superior rooms were immaculate, very modern, cosy and the beds very comfortable. There is also a steakhouse restaurant joined to the hotel, which is second to none. The food and drink were amazing, and very reasonably priced. The staff were the kindest, friendliest and I would have to say happiest I have embarked upon within the hotel industry. Between them and the wonderful owners, they went the extra mile to ensure our stay was thoroughly enjoyable. The hotel is ideally located, within walking distance of the ferry terminal, which is handy for a trip to the Isle of Mull which has many castles and breathtaking views, and we also travelled to Fort William for a day and were able to take in part of Ben Nevis (the highest mountain in the UK!) which was awesome. While staying at the hotel, we engaged in conversations with some of the other guests, a few of whom were businessmen/women, who informed me they have used this hotel regularly throughout the year. I think I will definitely be doing the same any time I have to spend time in the nearby area. The only downside to our stay was unfortunately the Scottish weather, but that was a minor detail from our beautiful week. I would recommend this hotel and vacation to everyone. :-)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2010

i stayed at this great hotel for 1 week and was made to feel very welcome by all the staff.the food was superb and the rooms were immaculate 10 out of 10.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2010

been staying here for 3 years off and on pleasant suprise to see the work been done over the winter new steakhouse restaurant attached rooms modernised to full spec
cant wait to let my colleagues know, we always stay here and more so always will.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 February 2010

I have been a customer of the Rowan Tree Hotel for about 8 or 9 years, and in that time the transformation from a dingy 1970s-style establishment, so typical of Oban hotels, to a modern trendy place to stay has been amazing.

The refurbished room I stayed in was stunning, no expense has been spared here. Lots of nice touches like LED backlighting in the bathroom, cracking bed with a proper fixed headboard, plenty of power sockets, flat-screen TV with DVD player. The bedroom was so much better than before, and the shower room even more so.

What hasn't changed is the friendly and helpfull nature of the management and staff (well since the place was traken over a couple of years ago, wasn't so good before).

I'm a bit reluctant to give the Rowan Tree such a glowing review in case I won't be able to book a room this Summer on the back of it, but I think it deserves one anyway.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2009

This 2 Star Hotel was exceptionally clean with lovely white cotton bedding and soft white towels which were changed daily. Breakfast was lovely and they were happy to toast my gluten free bread for me. All of the staff were extremely helpful and friendly from our arrival until our departure. They even put the two bottles of wine which we brought with us to drink in our room into Ice Buckets for us whilst we shopped in Oban and on arriving back we were pleasantly surprised to fined our wine chilled!! Many other hotels would have objected to us bringing in wine!!
The Hotel is still undergoing renovations - but top marks to all at the Rowantree.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Stayed for one night only on a Saturday. The positives would comment that the hotel is centrally located and the shower was good. Otherwise, this hotel is pretty dreadful. The rooms are like a 70's car crash - the decor is dreadful - I felt my head spinning on entering, the mish mash of decor was so bad. The 'double' bed is extremely small and very uncomfortable. I didn't sleep at all despite wine consumption! The light over the bed was broken, wardrobe is a few built in shelves & the curtains were vile. Took the decision to avoid breakfast as I just wished to leave quicker than i had entered. Also, the guest guidance book in the room suggested they could extend the exit times (to allow time for a jog/shower) if necessary and to ask at reception - on doing so, the manager dismissed it by advising they never do that!

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple