“8 mile”

The Hawthorn Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 94 Restaurants in Oban
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: British, Scottish, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Enjoy fresh, seasonal, local produce in a peaceful countryside setting. The Restaurant is located in the village of Benderloch, 9 miles north of Oban.
Glasgow
“8 mile”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

When they do something simply and well like this there is no way you can give a bad review.
This is a great restaurant, located 8 miles or so outside Oban. There is only about a dozen tables so you will probably have to book. The staff were excellent with a warm greeting and were conversational during the meal but not intrusive. The menu is not overly extensive, concentrating on local produce cooked perfectly. I started with the skate-wing with my wife having a wild mushroom risotto, both delicious. Venison and a slow cooked beef dish made up the mains; superb. We had no room for dessert but they looked good. The wine we had with our meal was lovely and not expensive. This is not a tablecloth and sommelier type of place: If it was I believe they would be booked out for ever and waiting on awards. Honestly it is that good.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Brian M

“Believe the reviews. Up there with the VERY best”
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

There are times when five stars just won't do. This is one of them. The finest dining out experience I've had as far as I can remember. Notbjust thecfood, the staff, the ambience, everything.

1 Thank Dave P
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Very nice indeed”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The scallops and pork belly starter was a mouthwatering way to begin the meal. Four large scallops were cooked to perfection (as you'd expect I suppose) and the pork belly was possibly the best I've ever tasted. A small round of seemingly well sourced black pudding complimented it well.
The fillet steak main course was equally as juicy. I ordered medium rare and got medium rare, an absolutely beautiful cut of meat. I didn't get a steak knife, but to be honest I didn't need it. The only negative thing I can say about the main course was there were too many flavours on one plate. I'm not a food connoisseur but some things didn't match well IMHO but I'm sure the chef knew what he was doing.
We asked the waitress for a 10 minute break (which was duly obliged) before we had our sweet platter which was a nice mixture and overall plenty for two, if not four people.
The waiting staff were very pleasant, polite and attentive though failed to provide a steak knife when serving the dish.
With a bottle of wine that couldn't be finished due to the lack of taxi's in the area (which obviously has nothing to do with the restaurant) the final bill for two was about 20-30% more than you'd expect to pay on the high street, but it was certainly worth it.

• Visited October 2013
Mirfield, West Yorkshire
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Excellent food and service. Price not out for the quality provided. We had between us the home made tomato and pepper soup, venison cheese burger with bacon, slow roast scotch beef, sticky toffee pudding and a dark chocolate pot with trimmings. Everything was spot on. Drink prices were also very reasonable.
Easy to find, turn left as you are about to leave Benderloch, opposite the village hall, and the restaurant is set back on the right with a sample menu posted on the gate.
Keep it up Paul and Denise you deserve your success.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank James B
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Food lived up to expectations”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We read numerous glowing reports of the restaurant and it lived up to those, I am happy to say.

The food is excellent. My starter of the parmesan topped mushroom and truffle risotto was excellent, and also sampled was a trio of salmon, which although it was terrific, I was advised it could have served as a main course!

The main course was the shoulder of braised beef with creamed potato and seasonal veg. It was gorgeous. The meat was excellent.

The only drawback I would say is the decor which as it is a small cottage, the wooden floor and tables mean it is extremely noisy.

Special mention to the surrounding area, which as it is Benderloch, is beautiful.

• Visited September 2013