“Professional and Friendly”
Review of Puffin Dive Centre

Puffin Dive Centre
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Anyone looking at 'Puffin Dive Centre' on tripadvisor can't fail to see their critics bashing the organisation and the staff, all i can say is that i have never had a negative experience (since my first visit in 2006) and can only say that this is the centre on which all others should be based.

They boast a couple of huge and very fast RIBs that can be hired out for the day as well as a Hard Boat called "The Urchin" which is a Gin Palace compared to most day charters i have been on.

I am a great fan of their shop which, as well as being well stocked, can also customise most anything you buy, from 'Slap-Straps' to Dry Suits.

Their trips are well organised and, in my experience set the bar regarding safety. The briefings are meticulous and include maps, anecdotes and short history lessons regarding the site. The Max. Depth/Bottom Times are generous and most importantly are enforced (this seems to baffle some people).
Their vending machine style compressor system is frankly awesome, just wheel in your gear, attach the whip, pop in the money and away you go... nothing else needs to be said).
(The instructions on the front of the console make it clear that Manifolded twins are not to be filled from the system, which seems fair as you would then be getting a Two-For-One on air fills)

Five Stars

4  Thank Hud R
There are newer reviews for Puffin Dive Centre

Reviewed 2 December 2013

well we went to Puffin Dive Centre on Saturday night to drop off our cylinders, 1 300bar twinset &2 3litre ponies, the young girl on saturday night was great, but the other girl on the sunday morning was the most ubrupt person i have ever spoken to, when i was trying to explain to her about, me thinking that all the cylinders would be full on sunday morning, only to be topped up, she would'nt let me finish what i was trying to say(for a change i was nice and polite), she told me to take my twin set away as she refused to fill it, she then turned to my freind and started on him, and he never even opened his mouth lol, he asked if he could still get his O2 fills, she said if he was going to act like i did then there was no chance, so she eventually took the cylinders to fill them only to turn back and say oh we cant fill these as we don't have a 25-26mm adaptor, to fit the newer styled O2 rebreather styled pillar valves, it's a well stocked shop so i'm sorry i don't believe they never had 1, and with the amount of divers that go through their doors, i don't beleive they would'nt have 1

13  Thank stewartCowdenbeath
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I don't normally post reviews, but I have just completed a second diving course at Puffin, and am so pleased with the way the course was handled, that I thought I had to say something.

Honestly I can't think how either course could have been improved. When planning the course I have just completed, Puffin managed to fit in with-in the time constraints of my group, and even squeezed in some extra stuff at the last minute when the opportunity presented itself. And they all coped with the various curve balls that we (accidentally) threw at them with good humour whilst still ensuring that the lessons were learnt. We all passed, but even if we hadn't, the experiences we all had over the course were worth the cost!

I have read other reviews on this site complaining about rudeness of staff or unprofessionalism in the way contacts are handled. We never experienced anything that could be considered in any way rude or unprofessional, quite the contrary. My email correspondence prior to the course was timely, handled professionally and completely (all questions answered). On site, staff can be direct and honest, which some might not appreciate, but for me it is exactly what I would expect. And as noted, every member of my group (myself included) managed at least one "doh" moment, all these moments were handled in a way appropriate to the circumstances, ensuring safety for all concerned.

I will definitely be back for more.

1  Thank Peter_Strange
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We were thoroughly recommended this organisation by a friend however we can only say that our experiences with dealing with them were dire. My son contacted them by email to try to arrange a dive course while he was home from abroad. The first email bore no fruit, neither did the next two. I rang up to see if the emails had been received but was very rudely spoken to by a man who then said I had accused him of not reading his emails and told me I was rude when I had been extremely careful to ask politely. His manner was atrocious and he was extremely unhelpful and angry and bit my head off on several occasions during a horrible conversation. I checked with him that we had sent the emails to the right address - the one found on the web site. This appeared to be the case but he told us to send them again to a particular person at the dive centre. All three emails were forwarded to her. Even after this they were not very quick in responding and when eventually my son did get a reply it did not answer any of his questions and certainly did not seem at all encouraging. In fact it almost seemed as if they did not want the business. In the end we gave up and went to Lochaline instead where the dive centre could not have been more helpful, and he had two fantastic days diving. As he was also intending on buying a great deal of dive gear in the Puffin Dive shop, we decided that given the rudeness and lack of enthusiasm, then he was certainly going to take his business elsewhere. We have since spoken to several others who have also experienced similar rudeness and a curt off hand manner from one particular man with this organisation.

15  Thank PollyScotlandUK
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I am staying in the Oban area for the summer season, My Suunto Core mountain watch decided to loose its screws !!! tried various watch shops in the area but no joy at all, I checked the Suunto advice web page and Puffin came up as a dealer, so i went in and found out it was diving Suunto watches they dealt with, I thought another dead end but Mike the owner said no problem got on the phone straight away to Suunto in London, arranged for parts to be delivered and fitted for me and Nicola kept me in the loop as to when to collect, great friendly and helpful service. Thankyou Puffin.

1  Thank Rob B