“Great modern hotel!”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Arbroath, United Kingdom
“Great modern hotel!”
Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here for two nights, I had been looking to book the hotel for a while but when I eventually booked there were only bijou or disabled grand rooms left. I contacted the hotel and they were very prompt in replying to tell me that booking the disabled room would be no problem at all. When we arrived, the member of staff dealing with us seemed to be in a bit of a hurry, our room door was opened then he left. No, "how was your journey?" Or "I hope you have a nice stay" Although all other members of staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you! Room was lovely, very clean and bed was great. Shower very powerful, only gripe about the bathroom was the lack of shelving. There was a window sill which I placed my things on but it was very high up. Also having the windows open invited a stench of curry from the near by Indian restaurant, even at 8am! Also the bedroom door, there is a large gap underneath which causes a draft and makes the bedroom doors slam and shudder when the opposite room shut there door. Overall though, the hotel was great. The centre of town is literally 2 minutes walk away, and there are plenty of parking spaces around the area.

• Stayed February 2013
Harry F, General Manager at The Ranald Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of The Ranald. I am aware of some of the issues that you have highlighted. The doors are on my current maintenance schedule to get sorted and we are looking to source appropriate shelving. There has been a problem with the restaurants extraction system and this is being looked into by the local council and the restaurant owner and should hopefully be resolved very soon. I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My Husband and myself wanted a weekend break we chose the Ranald Hotel in Inverness boy was it good. The hotel was excellent very good standard throughout and the breakfast was wonderful. The staff,Harry,Alex and last but by no means least Haley were so nice it just made the weekend for us.All very professional

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
It was a pleasure having you staying with us Mr & Mrs McKay. I'm glad that you enjoyed your wee break. Thank you for the chocolates, we shared those with the housekeeping staff!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My Partner and I stayed 2 nights atThe Ranald. We were very impressed. It lacked nothing.
From very comfortable bed to Hairdryer. In fact we were reluctant to go out as room was vey comfortable. The breakfast was lovely. just what we wanted. The pancakes and syrup was my favourite. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms have same decor. But if you want a larger one I am quite sure you will not...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
I'm very happy to hear how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us and would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review for the rest of the tripadvisor community.
North Ayrshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

arrived later than expected on friday night to a small hiccup.had requested a double room but was shown a twin.hayley on reception sorted it out in jig time whilst dealing with customers in the bar at the same time.was very impressed by her speed and efficiency.
everything about the room and the en-suite shower,was faultless.shower itself was a blast !!
breakfast in the mornings was most enjoyable both in choice of food and in service.it was good to get a change from the traditional.the staff gave a great service for being in such a small but busy environment.
have absolutely no complaints about this hotel or staff.it betters larger and more prestigious hotels i have stayed in recently.would and will,recommend it

1 Thank hugh g
Sorry to hear about the hiccup! I'm glad that it was sorted quickly for you. Hayley is fantastic, I don't know what I'd do without her!! I'm happy to hear that your stay overall was excellent and I hope that you will return.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We enjoyed our recent stay at the Ranald Hotel very much. Everything was lovely – a very friendly staff, tastefully decorated rooms and bar area, and a central and convenient location. Do try their baked scones with homemade raspberry jam – delicious! We had cocktails one evening in the Ranald's bar and enjoyed the warm and intimate atmosphere. The baked eggs at breakfast are very, very good, indeed! Thank you to Harry and his team for making our stay a very pleasant one. We'll be back.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Kate, thank you for such a wonderful review of The Ranald. Alex makes fantastic scones! I'm glad that our staff looked after you so well and I hope that you will indeed return.
scotland
Reviewed 17 February 2013

we enjoyed a great stay for 2 nights 15th and 16th feb 2013 in a 'splendid room'.
wife, myself and 3 children. room had king size bed with sofa bed that converted to double and a single bed. the size of the room was appropriate for the cost.
the fittings and fixtures in the room were of a very high standard for the price of the rooms. the beds were comfortable. only problem for us was the lack of a bath but we made do with the shower.
breakfasts on both mornings were very good and better than some 4* hotels. the lack of the standard cooked breakfast did not matter as the alternative options were probably more healthy and tasty.
the staff were always helpful and our room has good wifi coverage.
i would strongly recommend this hotel both for couples and families.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank dr1p
Thank you for your great review of your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure having yourself and your family staying with us and I'm delighted that you enjoyed it. As you can imagine with the space that we had to work with baths were quickly ruled out, but I'm glad that it didn't inconvenience you too much. I hope that you'll all consider staying with us again.
FK9 4QQ
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We so enjoyed our stay here. The decor is tasteful and suitably Scottish. The rooms were very comfortable and the bathroom superb. We enjoyed the "alternative" breakfast. The staff did a fantastic job in a very small space. The service was excellent and we would have no hesitaion in recommending this hotel to friends. We will be back!!

Room Tip: Don't think it matters
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review of The Ranald. We're always delighted to hear that guests have had a fantastic stay with us. All the staff work hard to ensure that everyone has an enjoyable experience. We hope that we'll see you again.