“Here today scone tomorrow”

Restaurant Caledonian
Ranked #63 of 98 Restaurants in Oban
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My partner and I popped in for a cream tea whilst on a mini break to Oban. Oh my giddy aunt - how can such a beautiful place get such a simple thing so wrong. The cream was so old it had almost turned to powder. The scones had the appearance of really cheap budget supermarket variety and the jam was a congealed mess of the cheapest, nastiest strawberry flavoured (I say that because be assured there were no strawberries in it) jam known to man.The scones were stone cold and crumbled into a hundred bits with the one knife between two (I kid you not) provided to spread the revolting jam and cream. Sure it was cheap enough but I'd rather pay more for better. Never again

1  Thank Babsiebear882

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Terrible New Year wont be going back - stay in England - food - rooms terrible - no car park - £3 for 24hours to park the car - entertainment rubbish

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Food was great but service was just awful.. very Fawlty Towers...quite entertaining. They have great offers on the menu and the prices are surprising good considering the "upmarket" impression given by the hotel and the lovely location.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Came in here for dinner with my Gran. We were staying at another hotel at the time. Everybody was very friendly but sadly it seemed that they were quite understaffed, yet they were all so nice and worked so hard that they almost made up for it.
The food was quite good. I had a starter - The Brie wedges with a coating (maybe garlic and rosemary) and red pepper salsa - and it was brilliant! (and pretty). For the main I had a chicken tikka masala although i'm sad to say it was nothing special. My gran had haddock and chips and I thought that was brilliant though (and massive). We both had dessert although I didn't think there was a wide selection. The food was all quite simple. I would say this was a reasonable place with a nice atmosphere (and really comfy seats).

1  Thank EmathystEmska
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

In the heart of the town right across from the train station and port. However we felt for £155 a night we were ripped off !! Room was large and bathroom also. But wallpaper was coming away from the walls and the bathroom could do with a revamp and grouting. We paid extra for a sea view ( advice from this website) and glad we did ! But just didn't feel it was worth so much ! Staff were helpful and friendly ! I'd book a table in town for a meal as its busy this time of year.