“Very poor food”

The Wide Mouthed Frog
Ranked #41 of 94 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I notice that this place is not listed as a restaurant, only as a hotel. I'm not surprised. The food was very poor, the service was just as bad. The only person serving was the owner and she was doing all the table service and manning the bar. I suspect there was only 1 person in the kitchen too ( but obviously cannot be sure).
Soup was tasteless. Bread and butter served with it might have been ok had the butter not just poured out of its wrapper as I opened it. Managed to get it changed but the replacement was also melting.
Then had seafood stew. The seafood was no better than a frozen seafood mix I had recently tried from Lidl. It was rather rubbery and certainly did not taste fresh. My friend ordered fish and chips and again the fish was poor.
Take my tip, if staying here take a taxi or bus into Oban where there are several excellent seafood outlets.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank happysailors
There are newer reviews for The Wide Mouthed Frog

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We booked a night in this place, the owner told us we were his first guests as they close for winter and open from Easter time. We loved the room and its design, clean and tidy, enjoyed the heated loo floor. The resturant is very nice and food was yami; the owner is so pleasant to talk to, if you go there ask him why this place is called the Wide Mouthed Frog :-).
If we make another trip that way, we will definitely go back there, especially in June or July.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We booked our family over the easter weekend. The family room was a good size and clean and comfortable. Beautiful surroundings and the views at breakfast were amazing. A great value place to stay in a marina setting, nice walks and 5 min drive to Oban. Breakfast is good, it's basic but just what you need to start your day. Go and give it a try!!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Really clean, breakfast cooked to order and tasty. As someone who stays in hotels for business this is the best bed I have ever slept in and the room was better than any of the big named chains. Staying in or around Oban stay here.

Room Tip: Room 8 is good but room 10 has a balcony and is probably their best
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rod1875
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Two nights here at the end of March 2014, when we were very lucky with the weather. The rooms were excellent value for money, warm, spotlessly clean and nicely furnished - we couldn't fault them. The location is in a nice spot next to a marina, just a few minutes' drive from Oban, with lovely views from the restaurant across the water. Breakfast was generous, and they catered well for my vegetarian diet. The vegetable chilli was very good, and if you are as keen on lashings of garlic as I am, then have the garlic mushrooms starter - but keep your distance from people afterwards! The owners were lovely, very welcoming and keen to make sure everything was just right. The hotel is also dog-friendly. Will definitely be returning.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank seeaybee
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Well worth visiting. Kath (hope I have spelt your name in the right way) and Rick could not do enough to help. There were 5 of us booked in at the last minute while my sister and brother-in- law off loaded their boat. All the rooms were wonderfully clean and very comfortable. We had a fantastic dinner. There was a log burning stove in the dining room which wasn't lit but one of our party got it going for Kath. Breakfast cooked by Rick was very good and again nothing was to much bother. I missed seeing Kath and Ricks little baby as I had gone to bed but I wish them all the happiness in the world.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms do not have a view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sheila R
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We booked for 3 days and on the first day was disapointed with the menu and the fact no specials was available. Having children there was no childrens menu at all. However that changed the next day when the head chef went on holiday and the hotel manager Rick went into the kitchen. Specials galore and a kids menu. The food was to die for. At breakfast the children did not want a cooked breakfast so Rick to everyones surprise made the kids pancakes with lots of fruit and choc. I fancied them myself, and no doubt if I had asked he would have cooked them for me. Nothing was too much bother from all the staff. We will defo return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family