“This could have been 5 stars”

and 1 more site!
Glenrigh Guest House
Ranked #5 of 94 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Used this B&B the night before getting an early morning ferry. Room was very nice and had a decent shower (a bit of rarity I find). Bed was too soft and saggy for my liking but that's maybe a personal thing. I suspect the breakfasts are spectacular; but there's the rub. Breakfast not served till 8am meant we had to leave before it was served. Although I negotiated a reduction in my bill the management were not sufficiently sympathetic about the situation, in my opinion. If this had been offered cheerfully at the outset I would have had no complaint but it took too much negotiation for my liking.
Would I stay again - probably not.

Room Tip: If you are going for a ferry in the early morning be aware that breakfast starts at 8am.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David B

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed at the Glenrigh for 3 nights in July. It was absolutely fantastic. The rooms were big and so clean. Breakfast was the best but too much for me to eat, the choice of food was unbelievable. We had some sherry in a decanter in our room which was wonderful. There was Tea/coffee making facilities in the room & biscuits.The view from our room was stunning. It is very quiet and the town is not far away to walk too. The Hospitality from Iona was brilliant, Thank you. We would not stay anywhere else now when we visit Oban. I cannot praise this Guest House enough. We had such an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We had room No 1 which was downstairs.
1  Thank MaggieStewart
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We booked Glenrigh having looked up reviews on this site, and it more than lived up to our expectations. The holiday was a treat for my parent-in-law's 60th Wedding Anniversary. Because they are partially disabled, the owners booked them into room 1 on the ground floor. This is a beautiful room with fantastic views. My wife and I stayed in room 9 on the first floor, which was of an equal standard and had the same view.

Throughout our stay the owners and staff were helpful. The breakfast was also excellent with a wide range of options and freshly cooked.

We thoroughly recommend Glenrigh to anyone travelling to Oban.

Room Tip: Ask for room 1 or 9. They are not the cheapest, but they are well worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Stayed here for a night on route to Mull. The house is nice and pleasant. We stayed in room10 which was a bit musty smelling on entering. The room was dated but was clean. Breakfast was superb and the manager was very nice. Would I stay again, maybe. The location was excellent also. We paid £100 for both of us. Would probably look for something a bit more modern next time although I did enjoy my stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Location:
Excellent location within 10 minutes (sea front and scenic) walk of the town centre.

Room A:
We stayed in an annex at the back of the hotel because we were travelling with a teenager and opted to use a family room. The annex rooms were nicely equipped. Proper king sizes beds provided, decent TV, well maintained furniture. And then there was the small details that showed that the owners were not only listening to their guests but were trying to foresee needs and adapt.
I saw that several other guests were senior in their years, which might explain the free sherry decanter in the room and the handrail by the toilet for gripping. I also saw that access for the infirm was made possible too. Yet at the same time, the family rooms were equipped with proper beds so both parents and children could sleep properly.
Decoration was tasteful and appropriate. The TV was of a decent size and the coffee / tea facilities were more than generous. In short, it was clear that you were important – we liked it!

Breakfast Restaurant:
Extremely high quality food served at breakfast. Again, their chef was clearly concerned with ensuring that only good food goes out to the tables. For example, the pancakes both sweet and savoury were not only perfectly cooked, but arranged in a beautiful way. Scrambled egg? Don't expect anything watery here – it will be fluffy and done to perfection. Want a full Scottish instead? All cooked perfectly. Finally, if all of that is too much, there is a broad selection of cereals cheeses and ham etc to nibble away on... Great start to the day.

Air-conditioning:
None. However, since you are on the sea front, you can expect some nice breezes to keep things cool.

Wi-fi:
Free and excellent signal. Well done with offering this service for free!

Parking:
Plenty of free spaces provided.

Room Tip: I can't imagine anything going wrong with this hotel except not booking early enough...
2  Thank i24get
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Stayed one night with two rooms. This B&B has loads of parking and one of the best breakfast selections we'd seen in our 7 night trip around the highlands. Very friendly serving staff. It was a pleasure to be here. Only downside was our room (12) was on the third floor and on the smaller side but the free WIFI was excellent.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here three nights in july and did the same thing last year.
Iona welcomed us warmly as usual.
The good thing about this b&b is within walking distance form town, the room ustairs have a great sea view. The beds are good and breakfast good.
I like the big size rooms with the sea view.
If you need any information about Oban, Iona will find it for you. She is the kindness herself, and it makes us come back next year as well.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room with sea view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple