“Perfect waterfront gem”

Corriemar Guest House
Ranked #56 of 94 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We arrived in Oban with no accommodation prebooked and came across this wee gem right on the waterfront! We originally booked for one night but upon seeing the room we had to stay for two! Sandra and Billy were so accommodating and friendly with excellent organisation. Spotlessly clean, extremly comfortable and award winning breakfast service, we felt right at home. HIGHLY recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HannahBeeNZ

Reviewed 8 June 2013

Booked through visit scotland at last minute and were allocated an en-suite twin room as requested. £85 for one night seemed a bit much but we needed a room. Nothing nice to see out of the room's two windows, just the next door b and b's ugly extension. Whole lot to see inside the room and the public areas with copious bric-a-brac and ornamentation. Clean on the whole just a left-over toiletry bottle in the shower. Mattresses not so good, very squashy and not comfortable for me. Typical b and b in that you could clearly hear guests talking in the corridor outside the room, the guest next door liked to slam his door and I could hear someone snoring. Dining room a bit too overcrowded....lovely to look at the view of the bay but felt like you were staring at the other diners between you and the view. Seemed to be a big push to get people out as quickly as possible with cooked breakfasts brought to guests before they had finished their cereal. Not a lot of point in providing a buffet if you don't give folks a chance to enjoy it. Scottish breakfast of average quality but nothing startling. On departure my cash payment seemed to produce a bit of a problem but I got my change.....forty pence short, but who's counting.

Room Tip: Get a sea view
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2013

An efficient welcome on arrival. No lift so a fair number of stairs to negotiate if you are not fleet of foot. Room and ensuite were clean and well equipped. The décor of the room was 90s but in good order.
The “not so tidy” comment above relates to the amount of knick-knacks sitting about the place. It would be better to employ the “less is more” theory for decoration.
Breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MINIPaul
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed here as part of a Highland Experience tour so I did not arrange the lodging but were I to return to Oban I would not hesitate to return. The room was small and tidy, furnished a bit like my grandmother's house. I was in an ensuite single on the first floor and it was generally clean and quiet. The bathroom had been recently renovated. The building seemed well kept and all exchanges I had with staff was pleasant. Breakfast between 8-9. I arrived shortly after 8 and they were immediately ready to serve. Good selection of foods and the scrambled eggs were quite good. The location is a bit far from town but it is not a bad walk if the weather is good.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2013

My son and I went up to Oban for the night in order to go on a trip to the Treshnish Isles the following day. We had a twin room on the first floor. The views over the Sound of Kerara were fantastic. Our room was very clean and fresh. Although the bathroom was small it was immaculately clean and very new looking both in terms of its condition and modern tastes. Our room was well furnished and very comfortable. The beds were fresh and comfy.. Tea and coffee making facilities were provided and a hairdryer and iron were in the room. The breakfast choices were plentiful and the food pleasant. We found the owners to be friendly and helpful. Parking was not a problem as there is a parking bay at the front of the house and although we weren't staying a second night the owners allowed us to leave our car there for the day. The guest house is located near the cathedral and so at the opposite end from the ferry. However we deliberately chose this area as I think the view is slightly better here than at the other end. I would certainly recommend the Corriemar for anyone planning a stay in Oban and intend going back there later in the summer.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, it's great.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank helen m
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Quite by accident we stayed here for one night. I had made reservations at the Kilrechean House a few doors down, but I made them for the wrong days. Kilrechean House had a tiny room available instead of the large Bayfront room I had reserved, but they gave us the option of finding another Manor House. We walked up the street and found an available large Bayfront Room with a nice view at the Corriemar Guest House which we rented. Unfortunately upon closer inspection we found the room to be in terrible disrepair. The bed felt like we were sleeping on box springs with no mattress, and they brought in a portable electric heater for us to heat the chilly room even though it had a lovely fireplace which apparently did not work. It gets worse but enough said. On the bright side, the owners were very friendly and while I hate to give a bad review, this property was in major need of TLC. So sorry.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SheldonHW
donra, Owner at Corriemar Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

I`m sorry the couple did not enjoy their stay however I`m afraid I think the negativity was caused by their preceding situation, ie not getting the room they wanted in the other guesthouse.
The room they were in has been refurbished already, it was started a few days after the guests stayed with us. The refurbishment was part of our rolling program and nothing to do with this review which we have just received. Mattress, curtains and soft furnishings have all been replaced, although no one has ever complained about the orthopedic mattresses we use, perhaps it was just too firm.
The room (No 6) that the guests stayed in is over 300 square feet in size and is one of the most scenic on the Esplanade with its large Bay and side windows. The fire in the marble fireplace is more than sufficient to heat the room but as the guests were Floridians I handed in an extra heater.
Nothing was mentioned to us in the morning about any discomfort, but the gentleman did take the time to say the internet worked well in the room.
I am sorry the lady and gentleman did not enjoy their stay with us but as I intimated at the begining I think the negativity was brought on by their previous situation.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Corriemar for 5 nights we had a great time the owners were very friendly and helpful, we had a lovely big breakfast and felt very relaxed and welcomed when we were hanging out in the sitting room. our room was clean and comfortable and we felt we got good value for the price, I look forward to staying there the next time we are in Oban. The view from our room was beautiful, as was the view from the lovely garden area were we could sit and enjoy our tea or read the newspaper.

Room Tip: well any room is fine for me as Oban is so beautiful you wont be indoors for long.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple