“Highly recommended”

Ulva Villa Guest House
Ulva Villa Guest House
Ranked #65 of 94 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Lovely little B+B, only a five minute walk from the centre of the town and the train station. I was staying in the Garden House which was a little separate house in the garden. The room was very nice- spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was lovely, there was a good choice and was freshly cooked. I had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and it was delicious- very high quality ingredients and a very pleasant little dining room. The lady who owns the place was extremely friendly and helpful, even when I arrived quite late at night (10pm). I would highly recommend staying here, I will be going back.

Room Tip: Request the Garden Room- is very private and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 May 2012

This B&B is close to the centre of Oban. You can get to the centre on foot (10 minutes), using a shortcut taking you past some shops and parking lots, avoiding the main road. This was very helpful as we wanted to leave the car on the B&B’s private parking lot and make a day trip to the Isles of Mull and Iona (can be booked the day before in the ferry office at the harbour).

We had a twin room downstairs, with a small en-suite bath room. It was not spacious but comfortable. And despite the main road close by astonishingly quiet at night.

From the nice, friendly and welcoming hostess (can’t confirm the negative reports given in some other reviews here) we received very useful tips, like the shortcut mentioned above, and information where to find shops (there is an Aldi and a Tesco when you walk into town using the shortcut), and which restaurants to go to for excellent sea food. When I disturbed her later in the evening because I thought there was a problem with the window (I thought I needed the key to operate the window handle which had blocked) she followed me to our room to show me that the handle worked without a key (simply pressing a small button I had not noticed).

Breakfast is ordered by filling in a breakfast form the evening before. You have the choice between a full Scottish breakfast, scrambled eggs & salmon, Loch Fyne Haddock or a fruit platter. You can also have porridge, toast, marmalade, jam. And in the sitting rooms there is a selection of cereals and fruit for self-service. We tried the Scottish breakfast and the haddock, and both were delicious.

Bottom line: We would definitely stay here again. Ulva Villa is a good place to stay when visiting Oban, good rooms & good breakfast. Nice and attentive hosts. Convenient location for exploring the city and reaching the ferry terminal on foot.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Flogsta
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I was staying at the Ulva Villa Guest House last weekend with 3 of my girlfriends (all in our early 30's). On arrival the female proprietor was unbelievably rude. When we went to check in she advised us in a very aggressive tone "I've just finished cleaning the rooms!" - clearly mad that we wanted to access them - all be it 2pm in the afternoon. I wanted to say I should think so at £30 per head the least you expect is a clean room without having to give the host a standing ovation for it.

After leaving our things in the B&B we went for lunch and a few drinks on return to the B&B at 5pm we were talking and laughing only for the male proprietor to come running from the kitchen to SSSSHHHHH's us and remind us that there were other guests!! What did I miss?? We were talking at 5pm not 5am which I could have understood. Following this we got ready and went back out only to discover that whilst we out the proprietors had been snooping through our things in the room - much to our horror and disgust!!

The website does not indicate that they have an aversion to anyone under 60 and that you are not welcome - perhaps they should make this explicit. I would never recommend this B&B to anyone who wants to be able to laugh and have a bit of privacy whilst enjoying your weekend away. Without dout the worst hospitality I have ever experienced!!

5  Thank Dom079
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Stayed at the Ulva Villa Guest House for one night with three friends and can honestly say that I've never felt more unwelcome in a 'guest house'. We arrived at two and were snappily told by the female proprietor that she'd 'just finished cleaning the rooms'. Good. We hoped so. Don't know if she wanted them to sit empty for a couple of hours before they were used but for whatever reason, her attitude didn't give us the best first impression.
We then got changed and went out for a few hours, returning at five to rest before going out for the night. On the way up the stairs we were chased by the husband who gave us a lecture as though we were a bunch of naughty schoolgirls about keeping the noise down and remembering that there were other guests when we came in that night. Believe me, we can be noisy but it was five o'clock at night, no one was in and we were only talking on the way up the stairs. At least let us commit the crime before you start lecturing us. Please remember that although we were slightly flattered that they obviously thought we were stupid young girls, not one of us is under thirty!
This brings me back on to the wife who's attitude truly stank. When we were going back out that night she was standing at the front door talking happily to other guests and when she saw us she gave us the dirties look I have ever seen. And to think we paid for the privilege! She didn't speak to us the whole time, just glared.
My advice would be don't go if your under 40 and want to enjoy yourself. And my advise to the owners would be to ensure that when they are happily taking your booking and chasing you for the deposit (which they did), make it obvious that you are not welcoming to same sex groups.

2  Thank deedee097
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Booked this via the Internet, 4 professional girls spending a weekend in Oban, arrived at 1.45 pm on the Sat and told the lady of the house we had a booking, seemed to put her out her reaction was that she had just finished cleaning the room, since this is the business they are in would think so. Went out in the afternoon for a look around the town and shops arrived back at 5.30 pm to be chased up the stairs and told very sternly not to be making a noise as their was others staying at the B & B, the only noise we were making was talking at 5.30 pm in the afternoon would not think anything was wrong with this!!!

This was the reception we received the whole lenth of the stay, do not know why anyone with this attitude would be in the hospitality industry as they clearly did not welcome any of us as customers, would not recommend to stay due to attitude of the owners.

1  Thank lola999Scotland
Reviewed 1 August 2011

The people were very welcoming and helpful, breakfast was beautiful will plenty of it. Bedrooms are nicely set out with everything that is needed, will definately recommend to friends and would stop again if going up that way.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank jean_peat
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Six of us stayed in various rooms following a stay in the Outer Hebrides. We arrived back at Oban at 7.30 pm and Martha and John welcomed us warmly and settled us into our rooms. The cleanest room we have ever stayed in. In the morning we all had different breakfast choices and they were all fantastic, can highly recommend the Loch Fyne kipper. Nothing was too much trouble and Martha gave us a nice send off. Would definitely stay again, thank you Martha and John for a very pleasant stay

• Stayed: June 2011