“Oh dear Wetherspoons”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Leyland, United Kingdom
“Oh dear Wetherspoons”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Having in the same week praised Wetherspoons for its consistent excellent standards and food we found ourselves in Oban and this ideally located pub on the ferry pier and wondered if we had misread the ownership of this establishment because of the following.
Signs on every table informed that always on tap would be one of the following guest ales, Broadside, Doombar, or London Pride ales in reality none available.that day.
But never mind I could see at least 12 pumps in view, must be a real ale to suit a thirsty tourist.
Alas the Nimbus ale was off, the Abbot ale was off, and the JHB was off leaving just one choice for me a dark brew almost like a porter as the only option.
Food was ordered Chicken Korma and Haddock and chips and after thirty minutes waiting I decided to go to the service hatch to find out the reason for delay.
At least eight plates of cooked food were waiting to be served to tables, I asked if I could take my order as I could see it in line but was told service was computerised and it would be brought very soon and sure enough after 35minutes it arrived with an apology
Apologies were the order of the day this lunchtime already as the service was appalling.
As always the food was good and the price very acceptable,

Oban, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A breath of fresh air”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We have visited both for a family meal and also as a couple for a drink. Like the buzzy but relaxed atmosphere. Staff friendly and efficient. Toilets spotless! Great booths for families and a proper kids menu. Food was excellent; arrived quickly, kids food nicely done and all great value at £20 for a family of four. We like the modern vibe of the place and the food exceeded our expecations. Maybe early dining is recommended for families as it can be busy.

North Berwick, United Kingdom
“Great time spent here...”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Up for a couple of nights for my wife's birthday (by train). Thursday most of day rained and spent a VERY enjoyable afternoon/early evening in here. Stunning views out over the bay and to Kerrera and Mull, staff were fantastic, friendly and efficient. Food as ever in JDW's, great value for money, and steaks were superb (third time had steak in JDW's other two were in Gloucester and Edinburgh) and each time couldn't believe the quality for the price! Steak club Tuesday the other two times, but very happily paid normal price in Oban, only negative about the food was that the pepper sauce was dreadful! Still, the staek was that good it didn't need sauce, cut and ate with the tenderness of a fillet, and the flavour was just what it was... a really well matured rump (pope's eye)! Would without hesitation return and recommend.

• Visited February 2014
Oban, United Kingdom
“Sadly, not as good as was hyped up to be...”
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I visited at around 3pm on a Sunday, having heard lots of good things, sadly our visit didn't live up to the standard we were expecting. Very disappointing really.
First impressions, for a brand new pub, were that it felt 'tired'. The room is huge and tables are crammed in everywhere. Very school canteen like.It's definitely geared towards food as opposed to a pub, which is fine.
But, if your going to do that then why not do it properly?
Many tables had empty plates and glasses on them, we had to clear a table ourselves in order to get a seat, again not what I expected from a new pub!
There seemed to be no staff working the tables for the first hour of our visit, although when we left, there were two employees milling around. One looked seriously confused, (although that may have just been his normal demeanour) and the other one looked flustered.
We had to work out that it was self service ourselves and that the food was ordered at the bar, it took forty five minutes to arrive at our table. If you do go for food, remember your table number or you will have to go back and find it!
I enjoyed my pint, it was very reasonably priced and very tasty! That made up for the wait (on this occasion!).
The food was exactly the same as any other "pub from a box", tasty, good sized portions, sadly not very hot though...
I noticed a lectern lying on its side on the floor at the main entrance, why not use it? Or even hang a sign on it with some basic instructions? People coming in after us often stood at the doorway waiting to be seated. It seemed that people leaving told them what to do.
Weatherspoons has been a long time coming to Oban and has a bit to live up to, I got the impression that other Restraunt's in the town were convinced this heralded their downfall..... Not a chance, service is the key to repeat custom. Just now, the Corryvreckan has none.
Not at all what we expected from a brand new pub...

Visited March 2014
“terrible bland lukewrm food”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

VIsited while on holiday in oban Went on Curry day It was lukewarm When I Went to complain was told that they would take it bac & reheat It did come bac piping hot but this is how it should have been serve in the first place & I feel I should have been offered a fresh curry Luvly place but warm food is not good enough