“Lovely hotel, lovely views, lovely food but...”

Alltavona Guest House
Ranked #12 of 94 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We were referred to this hotel by Oban TIC. It is a really nice hotel attractive took at, well decorated, and excellent food. The full Scottish breakfast included both haggis and black pudding as well as the other usual ingredients. The propietor was friendly and welcoming and went and went out of her way to help. The views from the dining room were fantastic looking over Gonavan Sands.

However, we had had told TIC that I needed a ground floor room and I needed to be able to get into the property in my wheelchair. Unfortunately there are 6 steps to the front which I might just have managed if there had been handrails. The side entrance was two patio doors with a central post which made each side too narrow to get a wheelchair through and a lip which was extremely difficult to get over as I wear a full-length caliper on my left leg and cannot bend it. The bedroom itself was very compact so the chair had to be folded down and I used sticks in the bedroom. The shower room was standard which meant that I could not use the shower. The following morning the path to the dining room was cluttered and had to be decluttered before we could get past in the wheelchair.A place had been set in the dining room had been set which allowed the wheelchair to go i wihout any problems and the breakfast service was excellent.

If I was not disabled, I would say it was a perfect hotel. I only wish the landlady had been told I was a wheelchair user so I could have had the information to make an informed decision as to whether this was suitable. I think it was the TIC that was at fault not the landlady who went out of her wat to be welcoming

Room Tip: Try to get a front room with a view over the sea
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Apart from Carol and her team making us very welcome and very comfortable with great breakfast Carol went the extra mile.
We stupidly left two new phone chargers in our room but at no cost to me, Carol managed to return the chargers by post.
Fantastic! That is customer service!

Room Tip: ask for room with view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2013

lovely room overlooking the bay in Oban. parking off the road , very helpful owner re finding restaurants and pubs, ideal position to walk everywhere. Very comfortable bed
Breakfast -full Scottish was a fine but not amazing and the coffee was warm not hot , but overall a reasonable experience

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
CarolAHarris, Owner at Alltavona Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2015

Thank you for your great review and thank you for staying with us at Alltavona.
Look forward to your return.

Carol

Reviewed 2 September 2013

My room was double booked and I was sent to an inferior property down the road (Corriemar - with a 6.6 rating v an 8.5 rating at Alltavona). I received no compensation and little apology. I returned to Alltavona twice between 4 & 7pm but no one responded to the reception bell. I then wrote to the owner requesting compensation prior to writing this review but she was uncompromising.
The whole experience was not only unfortunate but extremely unprofessional.
I would not ever recommend this property. And, unless you like grumpy female hosts, avoid Corriemar too!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
27  Thank This-fine-day2013
CarolAHarris, Owner at Alltavona Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2015

I find it appalling that you use Tripadvisor as Alltavona did not meet your demands of paying for your accommodation at Corriemar .
Your emails were very threatening and demanding me to pay for your accommodation other wise you would put a scathing review on Tripadvisor and Booking.com, which you have done.

I apologised for the mix up with your reservation when I returned from having a few hours off and came over to Coriemar to see you twice that evening but you were out.
The Booking company allocated a room twice making an overbooking, in this situation I found alternative accommodation at the same price and star rating.

As guest house owners we need a couple of hours free time and we are really sorry that you were unhappy with the situation, but think this is unsatisfactory to leave such a bad review when you did not even stay with us .
How can you grade the accommodation if you did not stay , perhaps yes the service but nothing else, especially commenting on the owners.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Having lived in Dubai I've experienced some top class hotels. What a pleasure it was to discover a wonderful attention to detail and excellent customer service replicated in Alltavona, a walking distance from the heart of Oban. Booked last minute, we expected nothing beyond standard clean and polite B&B, but as we received a complimentary piece of Scottish sweet treat and a glass of whisky upon our arrival, we knew Alltavona was far ahead of it's league. The hotel brings up images of an old mansion with period wallpapers, old-fashioned reprints and antique ornaments. Our room made us think of a Victorian costume drama as we admired lavish bedding, period furniture, Royal Doulton teacups and saucers, marble bust of the Roman emperor in the bathroom and cotton buds hidden skillfully under the lotus shaped hand towel. Gluten free toast for breakfast? - no problem! "Was it really happening?" - we asked each other. Yes, it was! The breakfast buffet welcomed us with a selection of fresh strawberries, raspberries and mouthwatering blueberry muffins. Our 9 year old daughter was pampered with two perfectly boiled soft eggs, served in antique silver egg cups and accompanied by a selection of gluten free bread and rolls. Our Scottish breakfasts arrived in an instant - a feast for the eyes as well as for the palate, complemented with white starched napkins and old fashioned silver salt and pepper pots. Carol and her team delivered an excellent service throughout. We loved it and we are coming back! The Cuerdens

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the bay offer an all day interest of ships passing by
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ewa C
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed for three nights organised at the last minute and cannot recommend this establishment enough. Carol and her staff were welcoming, friendly polite and efficient. Our room was spotless with lots of little luxury touches that make the difference, from lovely soft fluffy towels, ample shower gel soaps etc. to my tells me a great hairdryer. An old house but no noisy floorboards, slept all night on the very comfortable bed, not a sound from plumbing during our stay, lovely thick carpets. Breakfast was brilliant with so much choice from the full monty scottish breakfast to continental breakfast, enough to last you all day. Thoroughly recommend Alltavona, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Any room at the front with a view is well worth the extra.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I had read some reviews before going and now I can tell is the best choice I've ever made. The room was decorated in blue/white colours and there was space enough for us and all our stuff. Also the bathroom was huge and everything was immaculate. An extra point for the bed: absolutely comfortable and fine linens. The breakfast is delicious: we take scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and full scottish breakfast, but there are toasts, cereals, fruit, juices... Actually the car park is not very big (only 3-4 cars at time), but you can park on the street just in front of the house without any charge. What can I say about Carol? Always with a smile on her face, friendly, welcoming and worried about if everything is OK and the guests are delighted. Don't be bothered about "bad" reviews and give it an opportunity, Alltavona won't let you down :)

Room Tip: Non sea views are also great
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple