Hawthornbank Guest House
Corran House(Oban)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$72
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsfour poster bedvictorian roomguest housewarm welcomewelcoming hostsgeorge streetshort walka wonderful staytop floorwould definitely stay here againoban distillerybreakfast was deliciousstayed nightslovely viewfull scottishyogurtscotland
Reviewed 23 October 2012

The good: central location, bigger room than expected, comphy bed, great value compared to other Oban guest houses, WONDERFUL hostess, great breakfast

The bad: I can only come up with little nit picky things here... overall, this place was great, near perfect (but I have been spoiled by completely perfect B&Bs in Scotland). So, here are the cons:

- While the room (ground floor double) felt well kept up, the bathroom was a little dated with cracking linoleum on the floor and an imitation marble vinyl shower wall. That said, the water pressure was very good and the water was hot

- The electric kettle could have used with replacing... it was discolored on the inside and the filter in the spout was frayed and ripped... I wouldn't have wanted it in my kitchen. We used it, so it wasn't a big deal, but it's a 15 pound fix that would have helped the room feel more updated.

- The furniture in the room was well made, but very contemporary... it just didn't fit with the room's decor. This could be remedied by simply replacing the hardware. I know this isn't really a big deal, but I notice the little things.

Overall, I would highly recommend Hawthornbank. Morven, the host, was accommodating, exceedingly friendly, a great cook, and just overall very pleasant. She exemplifies the fact that a good host can make the difference between a 4 and 5 star review.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2012

My partner and I stayed here in July 2012. The host, Morven was lovely; she was very helpful, welcoming and kind. The breakfasts were good too. The establishment was clean and tidy and the bed was comfortable. However, the room we stayed in felt a little dated. The bathroom was tiny and the plastic tile effect reminded me more of a caravan than a guest house. The sea view is nice, but quite far back and you have to look beyond the flats in front of you. There are other hotels and guests houses nearby that have amazing views. We were touring around Scotland at the time, and this was the most expensive guest house we stayed in (and the only one we didn't rate 5 stars). Perhaps there are better rooms though as most of the reviews seem to rave about them! There also seemed to be a house party hosted by the owners while we were there. It was quite noisy until about midnight, but since no-one else has mentioned this, I'll presume it was a one off! All in all, a nice stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view with a large bathroom if you can.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I could tell before I arrived that I would enjoy my stay here. Morven was helpful and friendly from the moment I phoned to book. My bus arrived in Oban earlier than normal check-in time but this wasn't a problem for her. Hawthornbank is conveniently located, minutes from the main street and sea front. My room, on the ground floor, was very comfortable. Good selection for breakfast, porridge was delicious. Would definitely stay here again, highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I have returned from staying six nights in the Hawthornbank. This was one of my best vacations. The Trip Advisor reviews led to high expectations, and everything was more than hoped for. Room 8 gave a view of the harbor through roof windows; a window in the back showed the bowling green. Room size was fine, and there were two comfortable chairs in addition to the bed. Breakfast selections were more and better than could be reasonably expected. (If you don’t like bangers, eat bacon or smoked salmon and eggs.) Morven is the perfect hostess. Precise control of the shower temperature was unexpected. Bonus extra: a wash cloth (face flannel) was provided without my asking. Perhaps the only useful thing I can add to the previous praise is how to reach the place on foot: From George Street (the main road away from the water), take Nursery Lane (next to Taj Mahal restaurant) up the hill for a short block. Turn right at the first opportunity, up a pedestrian path. At the end of the metal railing, take the first left up another walkway. The doorway to the guest house is marked, on your right. (It is easy.)

Room Tip: Room 8 gave views both front and back.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Old_Dave_MD
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Oban was our first port of call after a long flight from Australia. How wonderful it was to be greeted so warmly by Morven. Our room was pretty and quiet, the bed comfortable, and the breakfasts delicious (thank you Robert). The house has a lovely view over the bay and it is a quick and easy walk into the town centre. Great to have off-street parking. We would definitely stay again and have already recommended Hawthornbank to family and friends.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple