Hawthornbank Guest House
US$163
Muthu Alexandra Hotel(Oban)(Great Value!)
US$202
US$273
Official Site
US$107
bedfinder
All reviewsfour poster bedvictorian roomguest houseb bwarm welcomewelcoming hostsgeorge streetshort walka wonderful staytop floorwould definitely stay here againoban distillerybreakfast was deliciousstayed nightslovely viewfull scottishyogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Arrival experience: Morvan, the proprietress, greeted us warmly. We arrived prior to the designated check-in time, and Morvan welcomed us.

Room (general): Our room was on the top floor (perhaps room #7). It was quaint with sloped ceiling over one of the twin beds.

Bathroom: Small but clean.

Bed: small twin beds.

Housekeeping: very clean.

Restaurants: on-site breakfast included with room, but no other meals offered. Breakfast was excellent. .

Bar: n/a.

Grounds: pleasant garden in the front of the house overlooking scenic Oban.,

Pool: n/a

Staff attitude/service: awesome

Parking: free on site parking

Misc: The view from our room was excellent. Morvan is jewel! I recommend taking a gift for Morvan for her hospitality (you'll feel like a cad if you don't).

For some high-res photos of this hotel, check out my photos on Flickr. My username on Flickr is utfiero.

About us: We’re irreverent, younger American professionals who travel regularly.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

This guest house is excellent and conveiniant for location.

Rooms very comfortable, I was in the twin room which is on a elevated position. The view was very nice.

Guest house owner morven is fab, if I was staying in Oban I wouldn't stay anywhere else it's that good.

Will def be returning at somepoint.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Hawthornbank is well located and a short walk takes you to George Street in Oban. Very well run guest house with everything you could possibly want. Was in the twin room on the top floor which is spacious with its own seating area. The room was clean with comfortable beds. Great views over Oban bay from the slightly elevated location.

Morven is a great host and breakfasts were as good as I've had anywhere. Well deserving of the four star Tourist Board rating. When in Oban I would choose to stay here, simple.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The best part was the comfortable bed. There was an ensuite poked into the corner, in a pre-fab kind of way. Some of the decor is definitely dated, with plenty of swirly carpets. I suppose it's all down to personal taste though. I needed a 7 o'clock breakfast in order to catch my ferry, so was only offered a continental breakfast. I had Alpen sachets, yoghurt, strawberries and toast, plus percolator coffee. I did not meet Morven, but Allan ensured a friendly welcome. For £55 for a single person in a double ensuite with single supplement I can't say it offered good value for money.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
ian c, Owner at Hawthornbank Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2017

Thanks for the review. Hawthornbank is now under new management and pricing has changed since your visit.

Reviewed 8 June 2013

We stayed overnight in May before catching the ferry to Mull the following day. We received a friendly welcome from Morven, the proprietor, and then shown to our room which was clean and comfortable. We were on the first floor and looked out towards the bay, although there are buildings between the property and the sea. The bathroom was modern, quite small but adequate, and again very clean. Breakfast was nicely presented and the choice was good. It is an easy downhill walk into town and a not too taxing uphill on the way back! We would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple