“Off the charts hospitality; breakfast haggis; and upcoming off-season improvements” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Glenroy Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oban
Glenroy Guest House
Ranked #27 of 99 Oban B&B and Inns
Lyon, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Our family stayed here for one evening -- our first night on a three-week jaunt through Scotland and Iceland -- and we definitely enjoyed our stay. We took two rooms, both of them at the top of the first flight of stairs, but only one of them had an ensuite shower. (This was communicated to us at the time of our booking.) I wasn't thrilled with having to go down to the main level to shower, but they worked it out well and it was a nice shower. In the end, it wasn't a big deal at all -- but the proprietors were excited about their plans for the off-season, which include making some changes that will add an ensuite shower to this room.

This was the first full tourist season for the new owners. (If I recall correctly, they took ownership around Christmastime last year). Considering how this is still a work-in-progress in terms of facilities, they have taken care to make sure everything else is not a work-in-progress. And by that, I mostly mean, the hospitality that we enjoyed during our stay.

The breakfast was absolutely terrific, for example. I had haggis! Haggis for breakfast. There were plenty of other options, so don't let it scare you, but it was actually delicious. My brain kept telling me that this yummy meat was haggis, and that really killed it for me. But if it was a blind tasting, I would have ordered seconds. That has been my only encounter with haggis, but if they can whip up breakfast haggis and make it taste good, are there any limits to what the kitchen can do?

Our visit, although brief, was absolutely delightful. And we very much appreciated the concierge services we received, too, as our dinner recommendations were terrific and other tips, including tips for later on during our travels, ended up being flawless.

It's not as though we were in the lap of luxury...but then again we were not wanting. So when I say that it's a great value, I'm not suggesting the price is good if you're willing to put up with this unexpected annoying thing or that other surprise shortcoming. Not at all. There were zero bad surprises sprung on us.

Next season, expect even better things from Glenroy Guest House.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DyerMaker
TaighAoigheachd, Owner at Glenroy Guest House, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we enjoyed meeting you. At the end of the season Hugh had his operation and we went away for him to recover and for us to relax. When we returned we did complete the refubishment in what was our twin room. It is now a double room and has a new en-suite with shower. We are very happy with the end result. Hope to see you again sometime. Kind regards Wendy and Hugh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed two nights in this guesthouse during a whim visit to Oban. I had a lovely time. Wendy and Hugh, although "new" to the business, are accomplished hosts who clearly love the area and are ready to give advice about what to do (if you want). They are not obstrusive; but as I travel alone I am happy to chat asking lots of questions - and Wendy was great at taking the time to do so.

Breakfast is made to order and delicious.

I understand some of the reviews's concerns about not having an en suite; however they were up front with me about it; and as it is really quite off-season I had a lovely room for a double although I was a single. They were in the process of putting in an extra bathroom for the next season.

I don't have a car and hauling my suitcase up a steep hill was a bit of a breath stealer! But I could have taken a taxi. On the other hand I am a walker and it was god for me.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Scooter C
TaighAoigheachd, Owner at Glenroy Guest House, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Hello There
Thank you so much for your kind words. I was really nice meeting you and hope to see you again next year when you may have more time to visit Mull for those photo shots. Hugh and I are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we enjoyed your company. Have a wonderful Christmas and all our very best wishes for 2014.
Kind regards
Eckington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

My wife and myself loved this place. In fact she said that she could quite happily live here.!!! The rooms are soooo comfortable and clean and there is a really good choice in the drinks/biscuits in the rooms. The beds are comfy and everything is clean. Hugh and Wendy are doing a terrific job of trying to ensure that everybody has a comfortable and enjoyable stay at the Glenroy. The breakfasts are just what you want and you must have porridge otherwise Hugh is disappointed. Actually I didn't. (Sorry Hugh LoL). There are parking spaces which is a bonus. All in all I would recommend the Glenroy to everyone.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bogey567
TaighAoigheachd, Owner at Glenroy Guest House, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Hi there.
Thank you so much for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and were sad to see you go. You were great fun to have here and a lovely couple. Next time you must try the porridge! ;0)
Hope to see you both again in the future.
Best regards
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

We enjoyed our one-night stay here and would recommend it highly. Our room, though small, was well furnished and equipped and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. We enjoyed the small lounge where we could have a glass of wine before setting off for dinner. Our hosts Wendy and Hugh are lovely people and made us very welcome - so important. They also gave us lots of useful imformation about the town and its attractions.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TaighAoigheachd, Owner at Glenroy Guest House, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review of your stay here at Glenroy. We are always interested in what people have to say and take all reviews on board and where ever possible use them in order to improve what we have to offer our guests. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you again sometime in the future.
Kind Regards
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed in the attic room which had a nice view of the harbour. Unfortunately there was an unpleasant underlying odour in the bathroom.The morning after we mentioned this to Wendy and Hugh and received a rather defensive response. We're really disappointed to have just seen that this was already raised with them via a previous review (August 2013) and nothing has been done.

Otherwise a reasonable stay - but feel it is a little overpriced given the updating that is needed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Susi359
TaighAoigheachd, Owner at Glenroy Guest House, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give a review of your stay at Glenroy and sorry it was a negative one. We did inspect the room after you left and could not smell any unpleasant odour. We lifted the vinyl floor covering and it was completely dry and clean. We asked our builder if he could detect any reason for a possible smell. He indicated that any odour was probably due to the shower being used and the fan not being left on long enough the free the room from any condensation and if the en-suite door is then shut there is no way to ventilate the room as there is no window. As this is our first season here at Glenroy we are learning what works and what doesn't running the house as we bought it. Lots of plan are already in place to update and repair at the end of the season. As I'm sure most people would appreciate this is the best plan of action. So it's not that nothing has been done it's more about what can reasonably be done during the busy season.
Wirral
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

We were a late booking for this Guest House, and on arrival we were shown to the Attic Room. Described by Wendy as Bijou, it was certainly cosy. Having said that, the bed - which lets face it is the most important thing in the room - was very comfy and we did get a really good night`s sleep. Yes it is a little cramped but that kind of lends it a charm all of its own. We were offered the use of a downstairs lounge which we didn`t use as we went out for the evening, but this would have been great.

Wendy and Hugh are a lovely couple, who made us feel very welcome. Wendy was able to advise us a quicker and less steep walk back down into Town which was great as my Hubbie has arthritis in his hip.

Breakfast was fab - I can highly recommend Hugh`s porridge with the fresh fruit salad - YUM. All in all our overnight stay was very good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cologne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

First let me say that I spent less than 12 hours at this place, because I arrived on a late bus and got onto the ferry at 7am on the next morning. But I was quite impressed with it and would definitely recommend it.
My room was a fairly large double room, furnished in a tasteful way that would certainly merit 4 stars, with a very modern and pretty en suite bathroom (shower and toilet). The room itself was furnished with a desk as well as a rocking chair and one or two armchairs, so plenty of space to relax and put your things during a longer stay. The bed was very good, with high quality sheets and duvets. Everything was clean and neat. The wi-fi connection worked without any problems.

The house is on one of the roads up the hill, but close to the town centre, really just a few minutes walk from the bus / train station (and a few more minutes from the ferry terminal). Even with luggage, it is manageable (or you could always take a taxi and it would be a fairly short ride, most certainly under £5).

The only minor negative point was that the packed breakfast which I got due to my early leaving time was rather scanty (a tiny bacon sandwich, mini bottle of juice, some cheap cereal bars, and a small sugared yogurt). Given the fact that I was paying the full price of a double room, so they would otherwise have to provide a full breakfast for two people at that price, I think it would have been fair to provide an approximate equivalent, e.g. I would have welcomed some fresh fruit or some more bread.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, ask for a front room, there is a lovely view towards the bay.